American accents?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    Boston or any MA accent is annoying to me..kind of like the variety of accents in Atlanta, GA because noone here is from GA.

woo youd hate me then! i have a wickeeddddddd thick accent
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    ALL you Americans have accents... you just can't hear your own. In fact... EVERYone has accents.

Of the American ones... hmm, i like the Boston accent.. with the very weak "r" they make.

i dont find any accent too much.. i like them.

of the world.. British and Australian are my faves

(ps.. I'm Jamaican... )
  • Mamao7
    Mamao7 Posts: 79
    Options
    Maybe you just don't like Ohio-ians. lmao
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    People tell me that I have a Minnesota accent.....I have never lived close to there!! I have lived all over the US though. The most fun I ever had was sitting in a buisness conference between an upper crust Bostonian guy and a gal with a thick Cajun accent! I couldn't understand either one of them, but nearly exploded my head trying not to laugh out loud. If you live in an area long enough you get used to it. When you go to the larger cities you don't really hear the accents, many of the people are transplanted from elsewhere.
  • judykritikos
    Options
    I'm from CA and I seem to have an ear for accents. My family is from the south so I'm used to their accents - VERY hard to understand most marble-mouths. New Jersey accents sound like they have no brains - or education. (Yes, you can thank Snookie and her posse for that) Mid-westerners sound nasaly. Northern states sound Canadian (depending on which part of the North - eastern/western) and the "Fargo" "eh" drives me nuts. Upper state NY and middle California/western states seem to have no accents.
    I've lived in Germany, traveled to most of the Caribbean islands, Mexico (east and west), Egypt, New Zealand and some islands around Tahiti - I LOVE listening to them and picking their accents.
    To a trained ear - one can discern the difference in New Zealand and Australian (and they do NOT like when you think one is from the other place), and then the UK - takes a few sentences to pin it down.
    I agree that the southern accent - SOFT southern accents are very nice - sound quite refined, unless they say something like - y'all dun whuut? Then I take it back!
  • Xoe4
    Xoe4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Boston accent. Its not really "attractive" but its a nice sound. I'm Canadian and have only really started to notice the difference between American and Canadian accents, I promise there is a difference!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Looks like this is a good place to be an Aussie! :P
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    haha i love when people get offended over nothing. i'm american but i hate the michigan accent. yes i live in michigan and i can't stand the accent of a lot of people here. like when people say 'melk' instead of 'milk' *shudder*

I agree lol another word is "pellow" instead of "pillow." I'm from Michigan too and the over pronounced "aaah" part of any word bothers me. I'll admit I do it really bad and it makes me nuts! For example I say aaaccent, aaactually, behaaavior. Ugh.d

:laugh: This is me! I am from the Midwest and my husband has always made fun of the way I say pilllow and milk. And yes, I say pellow and melk :blushing: I was born in Texas and moved all over until our family settled in the Midwest.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

I have a little bit of a western PA accent, but not much. I speak like the people on the news or something. Not much of an accent at all. Also, there's this deep western PA accent that just tear right though me! For example, they say things like " What do yinz think about those Stillers(Steelers)". Ugh! Annoying!!

If I hear "yinz", I know exactly where you are from.....and I love my Stillers.....haha.
  • omgzstef
    omgzstef Posts: 157
    Options
    Yikes... A lot of Americans aren't going to be pleased about this topic, lol. I'm from NY and I know I have an accent. Might not be appealing to all, but whatever!
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    i don't care what accent you have- it is the s l o w speaking of some areas that drives me insane. seriously i can hear fast. lol.
    s/
    NYC gal (there's a big diff between NYC and upstate NY or western NY accent wise and a difference even among the boroughs of NYC or long island, lumping them all together under one heading of "annoying NY accent" isn't fair. NY is a big state).

btw youz guys around the USA- there is no need to pronounce the "r"'s or "g"'s on the end of words~ it just slows yaz down.:laugh: all i gots ta say is tank gawd foah textin' so i don't fawll asleep when communicatin' wit my friends from like texas or sumthin'.(i'm always amazed that ppl can type faster than they can talk).
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

I have a little bit of a western PA accent, but not much. I speak like the people on the news or something. Not much of an accent at all. Also, there's this deep western PA accent that just tear right though me! For example, they say things like " What do yinz think about those Stillers(Steelers)". Ugh! Annoying!!

If I hear "yinz", I know exactly where you are from.....and I love my Stillers.....haha.

Those Steelers needed to take a gamble tonight. Unfortunately they didn't go for that long field goal and we won't be hearing about them until next season. Ugh!
  • Diana061
    Diana061 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm from Connecticut .. we dont have an accent.. but i have been told i say "coffee" like a New Yorker...

I love accents from the UK...... sexy
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Country girl.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm from Connecticut .. we dont have an accent.. but i have been told i say "coffee" like a New Yorker...

I love accents from the UK...... sexy

CWAFEE

Love the way they say that for some reason :S Don't like the rest tho. Woohoo it seems my Brit accent will be loved when I visit!
  • telepathy1994
    telepathy1994 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Minnesota most of my life, and sometime really Minnesotan/Northern accents can drive me insane. Especially on the radio, or on the local news. I'm sure I have a bit one of one though.
  • telepathy1994
    telepathy1994 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    :laugh: This is me! I am from the Midwest and my husband has always made fun of the way I say pilllow and milk. And yes, I say pellow and melk :blushing: I was born in Texas and moved all over until our family settled in the Midwest.

I'm from Minnesota and say beg instead of bag, and bull and bowl sound the same when I say them. Run instead of ruin. Occasionally you'll here "fer" instead "for" come out of my mouth too. My boyfriend often makes fun of me.