Craigslist Wedding Dress?

Options

Replies

• Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Jasmine's Bridal Shop!

http://www.jasminesbridalshop.com/

You can buy new, great quality, for a quarter of the price!

I am looking to buy a custom short dress.

Also, I am doing a destination wedding in Mexico. You could do the whole wedding for under 5K, and have some truly goregous pictures.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    my wedding was in august and my husband and i paid for it ourselves, so we did it very much on the cheap -- i got my dress from david's (it was a discontinued style), so it was cheaper than the same kind of dress in a current style. i've also heard that going to bridal shows and buying a dress displayed there is way cheaper (a friend of mine did this!) and her dress was GORGEOUS.

other ways we saved money ... we had our wedding on a friday night and got a discount on EVERYTHING from venues to vendors, just because it was an off-peak time. our photographer was just starting her business, so her prices were way lower than anyone else in the area and she gave us all the rights to her photographs ... we just had to write a testimonial! to save a little more, we didn't have dinner but had appetizers and desserts --a cake, cookie table, and candy table.

even though we have a little more money this year, i would still do everything the same way. our wedding was so much fun and i was so relaxed throughout the planning process. bottom line...it's YOUR day, so make sure you do it how you want. feel free to add me if you want! congrats on the engagement!!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I had my wedding dress made. And I loved it. That may be a more economical way to go as well, especially if you do NOT want intricate beading or stuff.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My friend saved ALOT of money by NOT buying real flowers. Instead she found some previously used amazing bouquets on ebay that we used. It worked perfectly!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Def do it that way! I bought my dress at a bridal shop and it was SO expensive... but that was the onyl big expense we had! And I have loaned my dress, veil, and tiara to 3 different friends for their wedding, so I've definitely gotten good use out of it for sure!

As far as a "cheap" wedding, it's absolutely doable! Aside from my expensive dress (my grandma bought it, she wouldn't NOT buy it, she actually picked it out too, it was amazing, grandma has awesome taste, LOL!) our wedding was very inexpensive and it was beautiful! I did all of the decorating myself with things I bought on clearance at Hobby Lobby and/or borrowed from friends. I actually used the beads my grandma uses on her Christmas tree as garland to decorate my archway (they are pearl pink and white, not Christmas-y LOL). It was a little time consuming I suppose, but it was well worth it for the money we saved! My dad and uncles barbecued, and my grandmothers and aunts all made a covered dish or dessert, and my sisters best friend made my cake and it was AMAZING! Total, not including my dress, we spent about $2100. Thats renting the hall, paying the preacher, DJ, and photographer, decorations, and food!

How I got my photographer so cheap... she's an awesome photographer, but she was just getting started and needed to build her portfolio. I agreed to let her use any of our photos she wanted for her website, ads, whatever... and she did our wedding (the entire day) for $250, and gave me a disk with a copywrite release so I was able to print all the photos myself.

Our "DJ" was just a guy with a laptop and thousands of songs, who happened to have some big speakers and a nifty light bar in his garage that he wasn't using. He wsan't busy that day so he did it for $50 and beer, LOL! He was actually really good and the light bar added so much fun to the reception!
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It would be "New to you" so go for it! you can also then consider it your "something old"- or maybe even borrow one from a friend!

We did a lot of our wedding stuff ourselves- we had a Christmas wedding, so our centerpeices were wrapped Christmas packages in gold foil paper from Costco ($7 a roll- we used 2) and big black bows- the boxes we got for free from the post office (we have a friend with a mail order business, so we broke them down and gave them to her after- she uses them from the post office anyway, so it was a win/win)

We didn't use real flowers, my siser lives in Texas and there are marketplaces that sell wooden roses- 2 dozen for $10- we bout 30 dozen and made all the boutineers, corsages and bouquets ourselves (and had a nice keepsake for the bridesmaids after- theya re gorgeous!)

Make sure you find a photographer who will sell you the CD after, then just make your own prints- OR aska friend with a relly nice camera to take the wedding photos suring the ceremony and after as the wedding gift to you-

These days an Ipod with a nice play list and a friend who isn't too shy can do your announcements- saves on a DJ-

If you need more ideas or more details, pelase feel free to friend me!
  • jett0206
    Options
    I am so glad to see that many people agree with a "budget wedding and dress" I will be doing the same for my wedding.
  • gigiwaterloo
    gigiwaterloo Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Let me just start off by saying, the idea of spending a ton of money on one day makes me feel ill. What are your thoughts on a

I would really appreciate if there was no rude or insensitive comments on this thread. Thanks!

1st of all, it's YOUR day and whatever makes YOU happy is ALL that matters!
    2nd of all, you can very easily do the "inexpensive"... Just have to make the most out of everything & do a lot of the work yourself or if you have friends that are willing to help, even better!
    3rd of all, as long as YOU are happy with the dress, you're the only person that is truly going to know where it came from or how much you spent, so buy what you want, wherever you want! I wore a PROM dress as my wedding dress! lol
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Oh, as far a budget-friendly wedding, here's what we did:

A relative made our bouquets and pew decorations with silk flowers and clearance ribbon and accessories
    We made our own programs with faux parchment -- everything was printed in a vintage font and the programs were rolled like scrolls and tied with ribbon that matched our colors.
    My mom made the bridesmaids' dresses and my veil
    We made our own favors (votive holders with potpourri wrapped in tulle) and table decorations (mirror tiles framed with fabric, with an oil lamp and silk petals on the mirror)
    We hired a semi-pro photographer who gave us the CD and negatives so we could get prints at our leisure
    We did not serve alcohol, and instead we had an "after-party" at a local pub where people could buy their own drinks
    We had a DJ make us a mix CD beforehand, which was cheaper than paying him to be there in-person

Hope this helps!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    One of my daughters used her sister's wedding veil, which I carefully handwashed as it had a lot of diamante on it including dangle diamante - it looked brand new!

She made her own invitations, and all the wedding party buttonholes and table floral decorations we made together. The main flowers came from a florist on Ebay at about quarter of the price we'd have paid in a shop. Some careful shopping meant that we never paid over the top for anything for their wedding, and they had a beautiful day.

I don't see any problem in buying a previously worn wedding dress - provided it's been professionally cleaned it should look as good as new.

Ultimately, it's all about the commitment two people are making together, not how much you spend.

Enjoy!
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think you should check the dress out on Craigslist and if its in good shape go for it! I am currently planning my wedding for this year and I know how expensive they can be Anyway you can save money, I say go for it.
  • vwghiafreak
    vwghiafreak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I (well, my parents) paid about $1000 for my wedding. I wore my mom's wedding dress, so I just had to get it cleaned. (roughly $200) We didn't have a meal, but nuts and mints and wedding cake/grooms cake.
    We used silk flowers found on sale and decorated and made everything ourselves. It was a beautiful, yet affordable wedding.
    The bridesmaids all made their own dresses. I picked out a pattern and the colors/fabric told them, they went and bought the fabric they needed and then either made their dress themselves or paid for some one to make it. Still cheaper than buying it.
    Congrats and do what you want! It's YOUR wedding! Enjoy it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My favorite wedding site is offbeatbride.com. Loads of wonderful ideas.

Also, consider looking online at prom or bridesmaid dresses, too. Most are available in traditional wedding colors. Or make your own tradition and wear a colored gown. Light pink, champagne, silver... or fire engine red. :happy:
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    This topic on wedding bee has some GOREGOUS replicas....

The lazaro dress toward the end is amazingly done. Originally $5,000 they made it for her : $900.

Lazaro's are crazy expensive to begin with, but something like a replica Alfred Angelo could be made for $200...

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/replica-wedding-gowns
  • ChristinelovesCraig
    Options
    Another alternative is getting a Bridesmaid gown in either white or ivory and wearing it for your big day. The only difference is the lack of beadwork and a train. You can always order a BM gown in extra length so that you can have a sweep train and then hem the front. Also, you can always "Jazz up" a bm dress by adding your own embellishments (beaded belt, hand sewing your own beads, adding buttons down that back, etc.) and these can be bought at stores like MIchaels or Joanne's fabric.

I sell BM gowns all the time for brides to wear and they cost $300 or less. :)
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    One of my daughters used her sister's wedding veil, which I carefully handwashed as it had a lot of diamante on it including dangle diamante - it looked brand new!

She made her own invitations, and all the wedding party buttonholes and table floral decorations we made together. The main flowers came from a florist on Ebay at about quarter of the price we'd have paid in a shop. Some careful shopping meant that we never paid over the top for anything for their wedding, and they had a beautiful day.

I don't see any problem in buying a previously worn wedding dress - provided it's been professionally cleaned it should look as good as new.

Ultimately, it's all about the commitment two people are making together, not how much you spend.

Enjoy!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Let me just start off by saying, the idea of spending a ton of money on one day makes me feel ill. What are your thoughts on a previously used wedding dress?

For that matter, does anyone have any ideas on how to do a "budget friendly" wedding?(I still want to have the dance and the dinner and the family there)

I would really appreciate if there was no rude or insensitive comments on this thread. Thanks!
    Go for it!

And have a great day.
    Save your money for other things.
  • FranWins
    FranWins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do you know anyone who sews? A friend of mine made my wedding dress for me - all I had to pay for was the fabric (under $200), and the labor was her gift to me. The dress I ended up with was custom fit, and better than anything I had been looking at online! (The ones I was inclined towards were in the $900-$1500 range. yikes!)

Congratulations! You're going to be a beautiful bride! :-)
  • sonjawi
    sonjawi Posts: 46
    Options
    I ordered my dress over Ebay, custom made to measure in China. The dress was a whooping 250 dollars...compared to the designer dress they copied at 5000 a good deal. You just need some assistance in measuring your body and a lot of time. It took them 3 months to send it to us, but I had ordered it 5 months in advance, just in case it would not go well. But I was very happy.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    There are tons of ideas on the web for budget friendly weddings. My hubby and I only spent about 2000 dollars on ours that was all the get up, and food, we did our own music and didn't hire a DJ, and it was still a great time!