Craigslist Wedding Dress?

Options

Replies

• CynGetsThin
    Options
    My cousin got a custom-made dress on eBay for under $200! Just go to ebay, search custom wedding dresses and you'll find a ton! My cousin's dress came from China, which took about a four weeks in shipping to arrive, but once it got here it looked amazing!
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am totally with you on wedding savings. A friend of mine bought a used dress for a few hundred, and then tailored it. Another friend of mine did the breast cancer wedding dress (a store where you can donate your wedding dress and then they re-sell it and the proceeds go to breast cancer).
  • CMH24
    CMH24 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Davids Bridal has some pretty inexpensive dresses to!! I think I spent 600 and that is on the higher side of their prices as far as I remember! They have a $99 dress sale a couple times a year too!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    My wedding cost $3000 total, which was still a huge number for me to swallow, but according to a wedding planner friend, it looked like a $15000 wedding.

--I got my dress at the David's Bridal $99 dress sale and it was perfect for me. It was simple but elegant, which is what I wanted.
    --I used the Michael's coupons in the paper every week to get 50% off one regular priced item, then of course shopped Hobby Lobby & Michael's sales on anything wedding related.
    --I got my veil online & LOVED it. Paid $50 instead of the $175 for one that looked exactly the same at David's Bridal.
    --I got my shoes at Payless! I know, right? But I had a summer wedding so white shoes were everywhere for Easter & summer so it was easy to find nice white shoes at any store I walked in to.
    --Found glass vases at thrift stores for centerpieces, used Hobby Lobby sales to get flowers for cheap.
    --Family friend & college student did the photography & videography. If you don't have a family friend, ask some college students in the area, I guarantee you they know someone who would do photography for $200 or so.
    --We also had a morning wedding (I got married outside, in July, in the South...so it had to be morning) so it was a light lunch for the meal at the reception instead of a $20 per person dinner.
    --Rented the men's vests, tux, etc. at a local store instead of a chain store and they gave us a great deal that saved about $400.
    --Used the iPod for music. Set up a different play list for the ceremony, pre-reception, and reception. It was tucked away in the corner hooked up to the speakers and no one ever saw it or thought about where the music was coming from.
    --And the big one: we got married in a Rose Garden that is upkept by a local civic club, so we literally did not have to have a single decoration at the ceremony itself but it was the most GORGEOUS location with all of the roses and an adorable gazebo
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I bought mine on eBay for $75! It wasn't used though. I loved it!
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Our wedding was right around $2000.00 with about 50 guests. My wife (only4mebarlow) would be able to give you full details on ways to really stretch your money. And by the way, her wedding dress was a craigslist find that she got for 150.00 and everyone always says how beautiful the dress is.
  • kryshouston
    Options
    I say absolutely I spend $1000 on my wedding dress and regret it like crazy sure it was beautiful but its a dress, if you find one on craigslist you like get it, and can be fit to you, DONT waste your money, I feel mine was a waste a simple or used dress would have done just fine
  • Suzymo3
    Suzymo3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I truly believe in recycling of all forms. We have freecycle here and I get a lot of stuff that way. We also go to goodwill and salvation army. My daughter is all excited to get these name brand jeans etc. and wants to brag about how cheap she gets them and i have to tell her not to tell her friends etc. She's like "why mom? it's just recycling" Love that girl!

I love this! I am the same way and am all about buying used. You can have nice things and save a lot of money :)
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I saved a ton of money on my wedding by being thrifty. I got my tiara brand new davids bridal originally 149.99 for $25, davids bridal corset for $10, davids bridal crinoline for $30 and flowers for me and the entire wedding party for $260 all off ebay, and got my centerpieces, mirror, glass votive holders, and candles, flower petals and confetti all for about $30 and other items like cake cutting set $3, ect off craigslist. Craigslist, ebay, and thrift sales are definetly the way to go, like you said you only use it for 1 day lol, and you can turn around and resell it on craigslist when you are done :wink:
    Also got my daugters flower girl dress off ebay for $50 instead of $120, my veil for $20, and made our own invitations and rsvp cards for about $50.

Everything looked super nice and I got exactly what I want just for way way cheaper. The 2 things I recommend NOT skimping on is the dj and photographer, I went with a cheap $300 photographer and he sucked!
  • latinahada
    Options
    I bought my wedding dress off of eBay for $80 new, had it fitted for $50...So that was a total of $130 for the dress! AND I must say, it was beautiful :) Good luck to you!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i buy dresses at goodwill for $30 bucks all the time for comicon costumes, think zombie bride, they are beautiful elegant, and all they need is cleaning. 30 bucks to dry clean. check salvation army, savers, any second hand store. you can do a budget wedding. we spent a whole 1000.00 on our entire wedding, granted that was 20 yrs ago, but my best friend spent 15,000 a month later and she divorced and was still in debt from the wedding! we had no debt when we married and actually had some savings. its not worth for one day if you ask me, i can show you two gowns that i bought if yo message me i will give you my facebk page
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I got married in the park my husband proposed in and a potlock lunch followed at someone's house (they have a gorgeous home with plenty of room). We didn't do dancing (because I don't dance) but the only things we actually spent money on were the clothes (and my dress was less than $300) and the silk flowers for my bouquet (they looked pretty and were cheaper than the real thing, plus I made my own arrangement with just the colors I wanted).
    I thought my wedding was perfect.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i buy dresses at goodwill for $30 bucks all the time for comicon costumes, think zombie bride, they are beautiful elegant, and all they need is cleaning. 30 bucks to dry clean. check salvation army, savers, any second hand store. you can do a budget wedding. we spent a whole 1000.00 on our entire wedding, granted that was 20 yrs ago, but my best friend spent 15,000 a month later and she divorced and was still in debt from the wedding! we had no debt when we married and actually had some savings. its not worth for one day if you ask me, i can show you two gowns that i bought if yo message me i will give you my facebk page
    oh btw, the dress i am wearing is on sale at davids bridal right now is an oleg cassini, and is 749.00
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    Get on pinterest! They have so much for DIY and money saving tips for weddings. I can invite you if you need it. Also, I got my wedding dress at a David's bridal and it was a discontinued model, it was under $200.00. You can just ask at a bridal shop if they have clearance/discontinued/floor models that you can purchase. You still need to feel like a bride and pretty in your dress, but I totally agree that a big expesive blow out is not necessary. Craft stores that have weekly coupons (think michaels) are your best friend, and when people offer to help with different things, take them up on it! Also, if you are having your reception at a venue that does a lot of weddings, find out if they have decorations you can rent. our's did and we paid $2.00 a table for the rental centerpieces. For our favors, since it was a fall wedding, we gave tulip bulbs (I waited until the week of to buy these because they were 50% off at that time, because the stores expect you to buy your bulbs months before you can plant them) to our guests in organza bags that I ordered online in bulk, some of the bags were irregular so I'm glad I ordered extra. I think we spent about 23 cents per favor and some of our wedding guests still let us know when our wedding tulip(s) bloom.
  • alishuman
    Options
    I think that if you are content with the idea of a previously worn dress, go for it. I mean, after all.... once you put it on, it's been worn. =D

My husband and I did a super budget wedding. I bought a pretty sundress. We got married barefoot on the beach, in the spot where we had our first date. We spent... $200 on the whole shebang. I realize that isn't for everybody, but we had both been married and divorced before, and the expensive wedding didn't do a thing for our marriages. So we decided to be cheap and weird, and we had a blast, and so did all of our guests!

If you poke around online, I'm sure you can get tons of ideas for ways to bring the cost down, DIY decorations and favors and the like. Maybe, if you have friends with skills in the kitchen, you could arrange a pot luck buffet for the dinner?

Do you have a theme planned yet?
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My hubs and I definitely did our wedding on a budget (and a time crunch of 2 months planning).

My wedding dress was actually a bridesmaid's dress I bought off the rack. It was very elegant and made me happy. If you love a dress and it will make you feel exactly how you want to on your wedding day, get it!

For invitations, there are kits at some craft stores that let you print your own. If you have a Michael's store, definitely go there!

My wedding was small & somewhat casual so I DIY'ed a lot of things - if you're interested I blogged about the projects
    http://www.amuhlou.com/2010/06/24/my-semi-diy-wedding/
    http://www.amuhlou.com/2010/06/10/diy-flower-pot-bridesmaid-gifts/

We really splurged on the photography, paying extra to get a DVD of the photos and a statement that we own the copyrights to them all. In my mind, the pictures were the most important part aside from being with my friends and family.
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you have a local goodwill store... you may want to check there... our goodwill has beautiful wedding dresses.. it would be worth checking into it!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    We had a simple wedding that cost around $2500 total. I got my dress on sale at a local dress store. We got married on top of a mountain with 50 close family members and had a potluck reception there.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Start shopping early. When I went to get my dress altered I was browsing dresses and there was a GORGEOUS dress for $250 on clearance. I would have totally bought it if I did n't already have mine! My wedding was pretty inexpensive, but I started VERY early making lots of things myself. I made my bouquets, guestbook (made it like a scrapbook with our engagement pics in), invitations, favors, save the dates, programs, and lots of others. For example, I wanted a fancy black, hot pink, and white flower girl basket, pillow, and garter set. I bought the cheapest white one I could find and embellished it with ribbon and beads. Embellished my garter with ribbon and a tiny clump of black feathers. I bought satin table runners online for $2.00 each along with hot pink polyester napkins. My brother and I learned how to fold the napkins real fancy and did them ourselves. We didn't have our glasses and serving set engraved because i don't like to keep lots of 'stuff' that has to be stored. I sold EVERYTHING - even stuff that I made myself-on ebay after and made all of my money back on the costs of the items. The only thing I have left are the table top mirrors and my flutes of which I wille eventually put back on ebay. If there is a Hobby Lobby near you they run all wedding stuff on sale 50% off nearly every other week. That is where I got nearly everything. When stuff isn't 1/2 off they usually have 40% off coupons online or in the paper!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I did a budget wedding! Less than $5000, spread out over 2 years of planning.

We started off planning a backyard bbq type reception at a local church for under $2000 then ended up scrapping it all and going to Vegas for an off-Strip lakeside wedding.

Feeding everyone dinner was our largest expense and still only came to about $2200 including the 3-tier cake.

My dress was $578 - affordable because I got it from the local mom-and-pop store. I buttered them up by telling them how I had gotten my prom dresses there and now I am back for my wedding dress (they loved that), then I asked them to order in a specific dress in and told them the best price I found. They matched the best price then let me put it on layaway but I did notice when I went in for my fitting that they purchased 2 or 3 copies of my dress, each marked up to $900. I was willing to be cheap in every area except my dress.

I purchased my veil from Michael's and added my own crystal beads to make it look like the $180 veil I tried on with my dress. I went to Zappos.com for my shoes.

The Vegas ceremony was paid for by my father (approx $1200) and included a certain number of pictures along with a boutonniere that went to the best man and a bouquet that my mother in law split up for the bridesmaids.

We ordered my bouquet, my husbands' boutonniere, 3 mother's corsages, 2 fathers' boutonnieres, and 2 single stem roses for 2 flower girls for less than $200. It was much more cost effective to order the flowers than to make them myself. Flowers come in seasons just like food does so don't ask for flowers that only bloom in summer if you have a winter wedding. Roses are at more a premium during certain months as well. Oh and I got SUPER excited when I saw my bouquet made it onto my florist's webpage - http://the-palette.com/wordpress/gallery/seasons?album=5&gallery=16
    I had made little crystal stems to bling up my bouquet but I forgot them at home.

Table decorations were cheap - faux flowers for the tables to go with votives and glass stones. We got disposable cameras for the tables instead of paying a pro for the reception. Favors were chocolates in tulle circles.

I made most of our invitations. I ordered the trifold envelopes but I made the inserts and invitations myself on my computer (and because I didn't have a printer - the staff at Staples helped immensely).

I had saved enough money I got to splurge on having a makeup artist/hairstylist come in and do my hair and makeup in my hotel room. He gave great discounts to the Knotties. Because I had paid for my hair and my MOH (who got stuck in Texas), he did my mom's hair and makeup and then did my daughter's hair too. He was wonderful!

Extra tips;
    Join theknot.com - become active on the forum for the area you are getting married in. I found my florist and makeup person through them. I also got lots of handy tips for keeping on a budget. It was hard sometimes to not get discouraged when so many people were able to spend so much more than me, but I was thrilled with the end results. Also, there are lots of DIY brides there who took care of their own flowers, sewed their own dresses, catered their own meal.

You'll want to invite everyone including your old kindergarten teacher. DON"T. Wedding costs are controllable if you control the amount of guests you have. It's cheaper to feed everyone in a backyard bbq if you want lots of people. If you want catered, do a smaller number.

Don't make your guests pay for their own food.

A friend of a friend did my brother's wedding for cheap. My sister-in-law ordered her dress from China for way cheap and it was gorgeous!

My other married brother's wife rented her dress which I think she now regrets. She went for faux flowers and still has her bouquet.