re racking free weights: is it as tough as brain surgery?

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    So it's a Monday and I feel like posting a topic to entertain myself.

I've noticed, especially recently, I assume due to the influx of resolutioners, that apparently re racking free weights might possibly be slightly more difficult than performing brain surgery for some people. Is it really so hard to NOT put the 30 lb dumbbells back in the 10 lb slot? I think I may be selectively-OCD in this area, because I'm constantly rearranging the free weight area to fix it. Anyone else have a tough time with this, or perhaps an explanation?
    Believe me, working in a gym for years even the regulars can't put the weights away correctly. Especially the guys. For some reason they can load up a bar or machine, but can't put it away. Try to get away with it on my shift and I will call you out. Continue and I'll have you restricted from the weight room. It's just common courtesy and IS part of rules and regulations of every gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

It certainly is a rule! There's that nice big sign over the weight rack that says 'please re rack weights after using'. Guess these people are illiterate as well.

On a side note, I'm enjoying the number of times I've used the word rack today. Lmao!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    It's not brain surgery.
    It's not rocket science.

It's rocket surgery.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    me lift weight. me no put back weights on thingie
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

On a side note, I'm enjoying the number of times I've used the word rack today. Lmao!

I'm enjoying the number of times I've looked at your rack today. :bigsmile:
  • KatieJane83
    Options

Lmfao! Exactly.

I'm enjoying the number of times I've looked at your rack today. :bigsmile:
    [/quote]

:laugh: :laugh: So glad you're having such a good time!
  • Christinemary6
    Christinemary6 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had brain surgery in September 2011. Not sure quite what you mean?
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    The worst is when you work at the gym and you're responsible for the gym to look tidy when you're closing up, but guys are leaving weights that weigh more than you! it's annoying and frustrating. They know a 22 year old girl is working up at the front desk, I think it's pretty obvious I can't lift your 100+ lb weight!

Or the big bars that people leave in front of the emergency exit door that I once tripped over while carrying a big garbage bag.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    LMAO.......What can you do?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is when people don't even bother to rerack the weights, they just leave them laying where they put them down. This is especially charming with things like 80 pound dumbbells. It's annoying enough when it's a smaller weight...
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Pretty much. What is really hysterical is that I use the gym on the campus of a well-respected university. If the students here can't figure out how to put the weights back...
  • KatieJane83
    Options

Pretty much. What is really hysterical is that I use the gym on the campus of a well-respected university. If the students here can't figure out how to put the weights back...

I've already lost most hope for our future.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    LMAO.......What can you do?

In a perfect world, I'd ban them from the free weight area. Banish them to the machine area. If they can't wipe down the equipment, time to send them home with a Bowflex brochure. Bye.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    You should see how poorly weights get replaced at my gym. No rhyme or reason, despite the little sticker on the end of the post showing what weight SHOULD be there. That and people can't seem to tell the difference between 25lb and 35lb weights.

JM
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    You should see how poorly weights get replaced at my gym. No rhyme or reason, despite the little sticker on the end of the post showing what weight SHOULD be there. That and people can't seem to tell the difference between 25lb and 35lb weights.

JM

Oh yeah, those little stickers at my gym even have arrows on them. Talk about gym for dummies, but it still makes no difference.
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    So this evening at the gym I rearranged probably around 4-5 dumbbells. And the real winner was the bar left lying in the middle of the floor, right in front of the weight racks with 2 25lb plates and 2 5lb plates. Yup, I returned them all to the bench press rack, after nearly tripping over all of it. :mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble:
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Went last night and nothing was where you could find it, everything scattered everywhere. Don't you hate it when they just sit there in a machine you are waiting on not doing a thing but sitting,WTF. I go use a different machine and look over there and they haven't budged a inch. Damn...
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I thought the sign said to please re-stack the weights.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqjNuQs7JynX14YMJmZdBAqB8bk557QhYUn8fDu35huk4QQ9gibQ
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    Went last night and nothing was where you could find it, everything scattered everywhere. Don't you hate it when they just sit there in a machine you are waiting on not doing a thing but sitting,WTF. I go use a different machine and look over there and they haven't budged a inch. Damn...

I'll go over and ask the person if they're still using it or if I can work in with them. That gets them off their *kitten*! You should try it
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    Sorry, I thought the sign said to please re-stack the weights.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqjNuQs7JynX14YMJmZdBAqB8bk557QhYUn8fDu35huk4QQ9gibQ

That is awesome!! :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Tonight's my shift (5:30pm to 8pm) and I will be on the floor making sure bums put their weight away................again. Hopefully everytime they see me now, they'll just figure it out or I'll keep calling them out on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition