Are you a GYM IDIOT?

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Well, I don’t think I’m a gym idiot. I don’t exceed the time on the treadmill, I work in around other people on equipment, and make sure that others can work in around my sets, I occasionally grunt on the last rep of a set but it certainly doesn’t sound like a women’s tennis match, I full body lift and do my fair share of cardio, I wipe down equipment when I’m done. Other people, however, may think I am if they don’t know my routine or schedule. The Tuesday/Thursday morning gym goers see this:
    Girl walks in and runs 8 – 9 minutes on treadmill (so if they don’t leave the cardio room they think “that idiot, wtf does she think she’s accomplishing in 8 – 9 minutes?)
    Girl walks into weight room, checks phone (mfp to make sure I’m on the right set of exercises for the day), checks kindle (that’s where my workout program lives, to make sure I’m doing my exercises in the right order).
    Girl does a set and checks phone and types text message (this is not a text message, I’m logging and updating my increased weight in mfp), checks kindle (l like to verify that I’m doing my moves right and have all my moves for the day bookmarked on my kindle so that I can verify my form).

The guys that I normally lift with know that I work hard, know what I’m doing (they talk to DH about me), and know why I walk around with my phone and kindle because I’ve shown them my program. They also know that I’m a group fit instructor and have an idea on what other workouts I do. The people that I don’t normally lift with I’m sure are looking at me like I’m a *kitten*.

What bothers me at the gym?
    1) Hogging equipment, let others work in instead of resting on the equipment between sets.
    2) Not wiping down equipment, I have my own sweat issues, I don’t want to deal with yours too
    3) Not putting equipment up, I shouldn’t have to search for equipment or trip over it. If you’re strong enough to get it out and you’re strong enough to lift it then you’re certainly strong enough to put it away.
    Everything else is none of my bidness
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    chewing gum and NEVER sweating thru the entire working-out
    i've seen this
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The women who looks like an overcooked scrawny plucked chicken who sits naked whilst getting ready in the locker room, even when having her period & we can see her tampon string hanging down her thigh. It actually makes me feel sick to see her, especially as it is a family gym so a lot of kids are getting changed with their mum. My son (4 years old) actually once asked me why she was orange colour. lol, too much fake tan *kitten*.

The couple who wear those fugly shoes that look like gloves, you look like a pair of twats & having stupid looking shoes does not make you good at working out.

Eeek, that sounds scary, she should try to hide her tampon, at least!!

But apparently those ugly shoes are good when lifting REALLY heavy. Especially with squats and deadlift. But I still wouldn't be caught dead in them :)
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Working out in STREET CLOTHES

Working out w/ a hoody and 2 shirts on underneath

Doing about 5 reps on each machine with 10 minute breaks in between to watch NFL highlights
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    I've only seen this once (so far), but two young women, hair and makeup done, doing NOTHING while standing over some guy bench pressing, trying to impress him I'm sure (certainly not spotting LOL). Literally, five minutes later, guy has moved to core machines and girls have followed - still doing nothing. At least the guy seemed disinterested and just focused on his workout.

I see nothing wrong with this, in fact I encourage all young women to do this :)

FYI I'll be at the gym tonight ladies!
  • jheath123
    jheath123 Posts: 101
    Options
    I can't stand when a person sits on a machine for minutes at a time while I go do 3 or 4 other exercises waiting on them taking 5 minute breaks between sets, or the gang or 5 people around the free weights. The people that wont pick a side of the aisle to walk down and choose the middle "we all pay the same fees, you're not a vip or more important than the rest of us". The people that don't wipe off a machine after they use it and its all slick with a cross between sweat and their sunless tanning lotion. I usually do the 5 minute warm-up on a cardio machine then go about my routine and finish it off with a 5 minute cooldown and I wipe down every machine or weights I use. And last but not least I despise the person that smells like a hamper full of gym socks.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I can't stand when a person sits on a machine for minutes at a time while I go do 3 or 4 other exercises waiting on them taking 5 minute breaks between sets, or the gang or 5 people around the free weights. The people that wont pick a side of the aisle to walk down and choose the middle "we all pay the same fees, you're not a vip or more important than the rest of us". The people that don't wipe off a machine after they use it and its all slick with a cross between sweat and their sunless tanning lotion. I usually do the 5 minute warm-up on a cardio machine then go about my routine and finish it off with a 5 minute cooldown and I wipe down every machine or weights I use. And last but not least I despise the person that smells like a hamper full of gym socks.

Yum, hamper full of gym socks cologne . . . come hither my sweet.
  • Opheliac_Xx
    Opheliac_Xx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ladies fussing over makeup, hair, etc. I wear makeup if I'm already wearing it but I wouldn't go in with lipstick, tons of foundation, and fake eyelashes!

Women walking at a snails pace on the treadmills and having conversations. The gym is for exercising, not socializing!

People not wiping their sweat off...

I sound pretty grumpy! :P
  • gbsngrl
    gbsngrl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My buddy is a gym idiot. He is pretty big and refuses to do any cardio. Only weights. He also wants to do the Tough Mudder this year...with 0 minutes of cardio under his belt. Good luck, my friend.

OH...good luck with that one! I'm doing one in April. He does realize its like 11 miles of running, too, right??
  • ClarkAddison
    ClarkAddison Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    People that take the piss out of others just because they do not like their gym style?
    People that work out for 20minutes on lowest level, then sit on the machine
    Creeps that stare at you when you work out... yes my effing boobs bounce... now stop staring at them

I used to belong to a club that had cardio equipment that surrounded an atrium so it formed a square. It was before I wore contact lenses and I didn't like to run in my glasses so I was blind as a bat on the treadmill beyond about two feet. About a half hour in a woman came up to me and said "if you like them so much I thought I'd give you a closer look." She then proceded to squeeze them together and shake them.

At first I had no idea why she was doing this so I stammered the only thing I could think of.... Thank you. By her look I took it that this infuriated her even more and she stormed off.

After thinking about it for a few minutes it hit me. Ohhhhh! From that point forward I always made sure to keep my glasses on when I first got on the treadmill and to put them on from time to time to see if someone new was on the equipment directly in front of me.
  • stephensmith0929
    Options
    What makes these guys gym idiots is that these nit wits wear flip flops on their feet so they dont get a "foot fungus" yet they rest thier junk of the counter top of the sink! NASTY!!!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i would be! i only workout at home and walk outdoors
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    So saving this so I can read later.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Dolts who don't rack their weights or sweat all over the machine, then walk away without wiping down their mess.
  • DawnDawn2011
    Options
    You won't catch me dead without my makeup on! I have always worn makeup, always will, the gym is no exception! That doesn't make me an idiot though, maybe obsessive compulsive. : )
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Anyone who talks on the phone while doing "cardio." Hint: if you can talk, you're not doing it hard enough.
  • jlowensby
    jlowensby Posts: 142
    Options
    Brought your handbag into the weights room.
    Full face of makeup.
    1 set, update your facebook status on your iphone, next machine.

LiKe OmG r u stalking me?

I go to gym before work, so I always have a full face of makeup...don't have time to do it afterwards....;)
  • alglines
    Options
    I love that at a local gym in my hometown there's a big red button you can press if comeone is grunting, dropping weights, etc. I never saw one person ring it; I'm guessing it did the job just being there. lol
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Brought your handbag into the weights room.
    Full face of makeup.
    1 set, update your facebook status on your iphone, next machine.

LiKe OmG r u stalking me?

I go to gym before work, so I always have a full face of makeup...don't have time to do it afterwards....;)
    :huh: you go from the gym straight to work sans shower?
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I read the kindle on the elliptical, I am going for longer conditioning (when I can see there are plenty of machines open) I raise the font and it makes an hour go by much faster. I am not supposed to have a super elevated heart rate, so I can't do a faster pace, but still need to get my burn in.