Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    a bit of back ground, injuries, and goals would be very helpful
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    After hearing all about crossfit for so long... I just want to know what the hell WOD means?
  • addisondisease
    Options
    After hearing all about crossfit for so long... I just want to know what the hell WOD means?

Work Out of Day
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

If that was her goal, wouldn't she be asking about powerlifting?

I am just saying that with the little information we've been given its hard to tell if cross fit is the right program for her.

Given cross fit is more of an overall fitness thing, there's more chance of it benefiting her than not. Basically you get stronger, faster, and better cardio shape. In almost every sport, you can benefit from improving in these areas.

If you play basketball, you dont' limit your practice to just baskeball. Even pro golfers lift weights to improve their performance on the golf course
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

Work Out of Day

Ah! Thank you. I thought it was like wheel of death or something. Silly imagination I have.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options

I am just saying that with the little information we've been given its hard to tell if cross fit is the right program for her.

Given cross fit is more of an overall fitness thing, there's more chance of it benefiting her than not. Basically you get stronger, faster, and better cardio shape. In almost every sport, you can benefit from improving in these areas.

If you play basketball, you dont' limit your practice to just baskeball. Even pro golfers lift weights to improve their performance on the golf course

Doing Crossfit workouts can only benefit someone if they don't get injured. Crossfit is known for it's extremism, and extremism, especially when good form is sacrificed for speed or repetitions, greatly increases your chances of injury.

If you want to try some modified version of Crossfit workouts, I would advise you to do it with the help of a reasonable personal trainer, away from the d0-it-or-die-trying atmosphere of most Crossfit gyms.
  • addisondisease
    Options

Doing Crossfit workouts can only benefit someone if they don't get injured. Crossfit is known for it's extremism, and extremism, especially when good form is sacrificed for speed or repetitions, greatly increases your chances of injury.

If you want to try some modified version of Crossfit workouts, I would advise you to do it with the help of a reasonable personal trainer, away from the d0-it-or-die-trying atmosphere of most Crossfit gyms.

Yesterdays WOD:
    Do 1 pull up in 1 min
    Do 2 pull ups in 2 min
    Do 3 pulls ups in 3 min
    etc etc etc

Yep, those pull ups sure are dangerous.

Just know the proper form and you are ok.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

ANY exercise program will only benefit you if you don't injure yourself.
  • addisondisease
    Options

Yesterdays WOD:
    Do 1 pull up in 1 min
    Do 2 pull ups in 2 min
    Do 3 pulls ups in 3 min
    etc etc etc

Did everyone else use the kip on this WOD? I feel like kipping is cheating, much like a push-press, i know its a real form and all, but it just feels cheap.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Yesterdays WOD:
    Do 1 pull up in 1 min
    Do 2 pull ups in 2 min
    Do 3 pulls ups in 3 min
    etc etc etc

Did everyone else use the kip on this WOD? I feel like kipping is cheating, much like a push-press, i know its a real form and all, but it just feels cheap.

If kipping allows me to a muscle up, I'm all for that. I don't usually kip unless it's the 3rd set of 10 and I'm on the last set.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's my stats/goal, for those of you who asked: I've been running, and really enjoying it, and recently signed up for a series of races that culminate in a 10K in early May, and I also want to do the Warrior Dash in August. I'm not a fast runner, but I don't need to be - I just want to increase endurance to travel further distances at an easy running pace. I have lifted weights before, I've done the P90X workouts and enjoyed the hardcore aspect of those, but I'm looking for to increase the frequency and effectiveness of strength training without the repetitiveness of workouts on DVD.

I want something that will complement the training for the 10K and the Warrior Dash, and my target is to get to my goal weight (40 more pounds) by Warrior Dash weekend (Aug 11, just over 7 months from now).

When I went to the local Crossfit gym today, there was 1 man and 2 women being trained by the owner, who is the wife of a husband-and-wife owner/trainer team. I spoke with her about my history as a non-athlete, and my concerns about scalability. She pointed out that part of the WOD was Handstand pushups. The man did them without modification. One of the women did just the handstand against a wall, without the pushup, just holding the resistance of her own body weight. And the other woman couldn't do that, so she was doing overhead shoulder presses with weights. A modification, another modification. I liked that.

So there are some more details, if that changes anyone's opinion at all...

Thanks,
    Amy
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    It will benefit you.

You aren't trying to deadlift 400lbs are you?
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options
    I know this topic will draw blood...

Popcorn-03-Scarlett-Johanssen.gif
    Haha! Awesome pic! I was thinking the same thing!!!!! Pass the popcorn please!!!!
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    It's so odd that something like the new rules for lifting for women is so highly praised but crossfit is criticized. Like anything else, you do it a your speed/ability level.

Just because you do power lifting moves, you don't bench 350lbs, squat 650lbs and dead 500lbs.

I would have thought crossfit would be one of the more highly praised programs here.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's my stats/goal, for those of you who asked: I've been running, and really enjoying it, and recently signed up for a series of races that culminate in a 10K in early May, and I also want to do the Warrior Dash in August. I'm not a fast runner, but I don't need to be - I just want to increase endurance to travel further distances at an easy running pace. I have lifted weights before, I've done the P90X workouts and enjoyed the hardcore aspect of those, but I'm looking for to increase the frequency and effectiveness of strength training without the repetitiveness of workouts on DVD.

I want something that will complement the training for the 10K and the Warrior Dash, and my target is to get to my goal weight (40 more pounds) by Warrior Dash weekend (Aug 11, just over 7 months from now).

When I went to the local Crossfit gym today, there was 1 man and 2 women being trained by the owner, who is the wife of a husband-and-wife owner/trainer team. I spoke with her about my history as a non-athlete, and my concerns about scalability. She pointed out that part of the WOD was Handstand pushups. The man did them without modification. One of the women did just the handstand against a wall, without the pushup, just holding the resistance of her own body weight. And the other woman couldn't do that, so she was doing overhead shoulder presses with weights. A modification, another modification. I liked that.

So there are some more details, if that changes anyone's opinion at all...

Thanks,
    Amy

Hi Amy,

It sounds like you've done a lot of research and you've also got some set goals, both of which are great.

I'm also doing Warrior Dash, but a few weeks before yours. My trainers tell me it'll be no problem after CrossFitting. :) I know several people who have done one already and have told me the same thing. CrossFit also often involves a good deal of running, although usually shorter distances (400m seems to be pretty common) so it might not be as good of a training tool for your 10K. That being said, several of our trainers run half and even whole marathons, and fit that training in with CrossFit.

Every workout is different than the day before, so you won't have that repetitiveness of DVDs, which is one of the reasons I love CrossFit. And every workout can be scaled, as you saw. It sounds like you have found a box where they really understand and stress that.

I will say that 40lbs by August might be hard, but it might work just fine for you. I've loss less than that in over a year, and I had a long way to go. (I'm still 23lbs. from my goal weight.) I am so much stronger and inches smaller. (For example, my hips are now 5" smaller than my waist used to be!)

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that you have found something that works for you.

Cheri
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's so odd that something like the new rules for lifting for women is so highly praised but crossfit is criticized. Like anything else, you do it a your speed/ability level.

Just because you do power lifting moves, you don't bench 350lbs, squat 650lbs and dead 500lbs.

I would have thought crossfit would be one of the more highly praised programs here.

Doing it on your own is completely different. Crossfit can be good and can be bad. Mark Rippetoe has been holding many seminars at crossfit gyms, so I believe it can be a very good way to workout because they're inviting proper form into. However, some gyms try to force an advanced lifting routine to someone who has just begun working out.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Even if your local Crossfit does encourage scaling, it would not be much fun to be near the bottom of the class, which is where you would probably be if most of the elements in their workouts are new to you. Personally, I like being in a class where I'm about in the middle as far as ability levels go. That way, I'm not at the bottom of the ladder, and I still have something to strive for. I am somewhere in the middle ability-level in most of the group fitness classes I take at the YMCA .

I know some marathon and half marathon runners that tried Crossfit for a while. Two of them got injured trying to do some crazy stunt in a Crossfit workout, and had to miss their races. The others decided that Crossfit was either taking too much out of them for their running training, making them to sore to train with their running coach, or was too expensive for what they were getting out of it. So none of them are now dealing with the Crossfit gym.

Bottom line,if you want to try weight lifting, you will probably feel a lot better doing something like Group Power, Body Pump or the equivalent (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcY1w6ZVaEs&feature=related ) at the YMCA or another non-Crossfit gym. Then you won't have to deal with the elitism and extremism Crossfit the trainers and participants at many Crossfit gyms are known for.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    A bit of advice.. as I've been in your shoes before and had my first "crossfit" experience about a year ago. GIven, I'm a former athlete so I'm used to a lot of the excercises that they've done but you have to start somewhere.

I think the modification of the workout routine in the beginning is important. For me, as I had been off the wagon for a while, they had me do 1/2 the WOD for the first few weeks to get my self back into decent shape. Second, ask for modifcation of excercises if you don't feel comfortable.. like the handstand pushup. Those are high-risk, injury prone moves as some people have never done a handstand in their life.. much less a pushup doing one. The basic cross-fit workout routines are very low-risk.. pushups, pull-ups, military press etc. The more involved ones are squats, hang-cleans, overhead squats (which I hate), dead-lifts and box jumps, assuming you miss the box ;)

Don't feel bad if you're just starting out and don't get intimidated! Crossfit people are some of the nicest people I have ever met and are very encouroging to new members.. it isn't the blockhead, I can lift 8,000,000lb types that you may sometimes run into at the gym. I haven't met one person in Crossfit with a negative attitude, not that all of those types are mean but I've seen some of the stabs at the new years resolution types.. and mainly because the WOD will kick anyone's *kitten* and they're quite humbling.

Just know your limits, don't push yourself beyond healthy limits and be patient. It will come.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Even if your local Crossfit does encourage scaling, it would not be much fun to be near the bottom of the class, which is where you would probably be if most of the elements in their workouts are new to you. Personally, I like being in a class where I'm about in the middle as far as ability levels go. That way, I'm not at the bottom of the ladder, and I still have something to strive for. I am somewhere in the middle ability-level in most of the group fitness classes I take at the YMCA .

I know some marathon and half marathon runners that tried Crossfit for a while. Two of them got injured trying to do some crazy stunt in a Crossfit workout, and had to miss their races. The others decided that Crossfit was either taking too much out of them for their running training, making them to sore to train with their running coach, or was too expensive for what they were getting out of it. So none of them are now dealing with the Crossfit gym.

Bottom line,if you want to try weight lifting, you will probably feel a lot better doing something like Group Power, Body Pump or the equivalent (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcY1w6ZVaEs&feature=related ) at the YMCA or another non-Crossfit gym. Then you won't have to deal with the elitism and extremism Crossfit the trainers and participants at many Crossfit gyms are known for.

Hmm out of 231 posts I am guessing 219 of those are bashing crossfit because someone she knows got hurt.....we get it, you dont like crossfit....please take your crossfit is the end of the world sign somewhere else.....let people make their own decisions!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    If you can afford a personal trainer, that will help you reach your goals much better than Crossfit, because the goal with Crossfit is basically to get good at doing Crossfit workouts, and not necessarily your own personal goals.

The Crossfit people I've personally met are NOT very nice. They have the attitude that Crossfit is better than anything else, are very elitist, extremists, and are proud of all the bloody blisters on their hands and the scars they received from injuries doing Crossfit workouts. Maybe all Crossfit gyms don't attract that kind of a crowd, but from all I've seen and heard that seems to be the norm .