books that have changed your life

Options
15678911»

Replies

• billyjoebob
    Options
    The Book of Mormon and the Bible. My favorite parts of each is the words of the Savior. These two books have changed my life the most. Other books are:

Uncle Tom's Cabin
    Roots
    Diary of Anne Frank
    Little Women
    Anne of Green Gables (whole series)
    All Creatures Great and Small (whole series)
    Grapes of Wrath

many others...
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The Great Gastby
    Love Wins
    The Misunderstood Jew
    The whole Harry Potter series was pivotal in my childhood. I was 11 when I read the first book and had just graduated high school when the last came out. I literally grew up with the characters.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The Shack
    Conversations with God
    The 5 People you meet in Heaven
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Circle of Stones by Judith Duerk
    The Big Book
    A Course in Miracles
    The 7-Day Low-Carb Rescue and Recovery Plan
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The Big Book

THIS!!!! :)
  • FitDC
    FitDC Posts: 63
    Options
    This is a fun topic! So many good and inspiration books. The Bible is the never ending story, always fresh but here are a few favorites.

1. Prison to Praise - Merlin Carothers
    2. Wives of the Signers: The Women Behind the Signers of the Delcaration of Independence - Green & Barton
    3. They thought for Themselves - Sidney (Sid) Roth
    4. Conquest of the Mind - Elbert Willis
    5. New Thresholds of Faith - Kenneth E Hagin
    6. Through My Eyes - Tim Tebow, Nathan Whitaker
    7. George Washington Carver biography
    8. See you at the Top - Zig Ziglar
    9. The Doctor and the Word; God's Pathway for Healing - Reginald Cherry
    10. The Holy Bible
  • mmcorner
    mmcorner Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My experiments with truth - Mahatma Gandhi
    The Monk who sold his Ferrari - Robin Sharma
  • abetterliv
    abetterliv Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon..awesome book!!

OMG I thought I was the only one who loved this book! This and The History of Love by Nicole Krauss are some of my favorites.

Lets see...
    -Harry Potter hands down. I remember reading the first book when I was 6 but not being able to finish before the first movie came out, lol, but then going home right after the movie and finishing it. I never really liked to read before that.
    -LOTR, I can just get lost for weeks on end reading it.
    -Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I love this book so much, it really changed my perspective on loss and family, and will be one of those books that I will probably read a million times.

unfortunately I don't get a lot of time to read books that aren't for school except during the summer, and lately all of the books I've been reading in school haven't been that great. They're classics and I appreciate their literary value but I guess the fact that I have to read them for school always somehow turns me off to them. They're are also a ton of teen books that I love but haven't changed my life, and then there are some books that I have loved but can't fully remember anything about them sometimes, haha
  • abetterliv
    abetterliv Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Looking For Alaska
    This one too! I was actually going to start re-reading it today, haha.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    It's Not About The Bike - Lance Armstrong
    The Origin Of Species - Charles Darwin
    The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon..awesome book!!

OMG I thought I was the only one who loved this book! This and The History of Love by Nicole Krauss are some of my favorites.

Lets see...
    -Harry Potter hands down. I remember reading the first book when I was 6 but not being able to finish before the first movie came out, lol, but then going home right after the movie and finishing it. I never really liked to read before that.
    -LOTR, I can just get lost for weeks on end reading it.
    -Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I love this book so much, it really changed my perspective on loss and family, and will be one of those books that I will probably read a million times.

unfortunately I don't get a lot of time to read books that aren't for school except during the summer, and lately all of the books I've been reading in school haven't been that great. They're classics and I appreciate their literary value but I guess the fact that I have to read them for school always somehow turns me off to them. They're are also a ton of teen books that I love but haven't changed my life, and then there are some books that I have loved but can't fully remember anything about them sometimes, haha

funny, you're the only other person who's heard of shadow of the wind!! his next one "the angles game" wasn't as good. totally agree about HP and LOTR. haven't heard of the others you mentioned but i will check them out since i also love some of your other choices.
    recently finished the "hunger games" trilogy. also excellent-i think it has been mentioned here previously.
  • kevinthenerd
    kevinthenerd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One sticks out that changed my life recently (within the last six months):

Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Some others had effects that are more difficult to assess against the background noise of life's other experiences:

Robert M. Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Rainer Maria Rilke - Letters to a Young Poet
    Stephen Hawking - A Brief History of Time

The principle author of AutoCAD wrote a diet book that I really like. It's free, too. What's interesting for me is that both the author and I studied mechanical engineering but ended up doing computer programming for a living.

John Walker - The Hacker's Diet: How to Lose Weight and Hair through Stress and Poor Nutrition
    http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The Power of Myth
    A Prayer for Owen Meany
    The Handmaid's Tale
    Life of Pi
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    The Great Gastby
    Love Wins
    The Misunderstood Jew
    The whole Harry Potter series was pivotal in my childhood. I was 11 when I read the first book and had just graduated high school when the last came out. I literally grew up with the characters.

I was going to say the same thing with Harry Potter. The series literally shaped who I am. :,)
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    The Bible
    Bait of Satan
    Spiritual Authority
    Power of positive Thinking
    Creation
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman - I try to read this once every year.
    Lord of the Rings
    Dune
    The Iliad
    The Odyssey
    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    Many many more....
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Bump. Need to read more :)