What is your tattoo, meaning and where is it?

Options

Replies

• cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    heart with wings and lightning bolt through it, on my right breast. first one, still love it 15 years later
    cheshire cat, lower back, queen and king of hearts, left shoulder on back, white rabbit left ankle outside, mad hatter/march hare/dormouse right ankle on outside, can you tell my favorite book is alice in wonderland, but the characters resemble disney cartoon though, buddha on back of my neck, still love them all.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have three tattoos, and am getting my fourth next month!

I got this one the summer I was 18, (June 2009) I am a bit of a hippie and want to spread peace across the world, I hate war, and wish everyone could get along....and i love daisies lol :flowerforyou:
    9430_153383847828_503032828_2535100_6438380_n.jpg

I got this tattoo October 2009. I am a big fantasy and sci fi nerd, I love J.R.R. Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, plus I am a writer of sci fi and fantasy. So this tattoo is a reminder to why I write and also a commemoration of the LOTR. It's the inscription from the one ring "One ring to rule them all one ring to find them. One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
    10029_163232007828_503032828_2611725_1775638_n.jpg

This is tattoo I got January 2010, it's for my Grandpa Rudy who died May 2009, he spoke German and I have been learning German in school, and now am minoring in German at college, so I had it done in German. It says "Grandpa, Forever and always in my heart" The dice signify my Grandpa more personally, he liked to gamble and always had lucky dice, and of course 7 is always a lucky number.

I'll post my new tattoo next month
    170737_498891292828_503032828_5931835_3359653_o.jpg
  • nikki2609
    nikki2609 Posts: 128
    Options
    got a few, some with meaning and some just because i was young and silly!!

right thigh- thumper rabbit (aged 18)
    tummy- winnie the pooh (aged 17 & my 1st)
    left shoulder- angel with gran wrote underneath (in memory of my own angel)
    tramp stamp (which i absolutely love)- imogen (my beautiful daughters name)

next one already planned but can't find the right design- lotus flower above the tramp stamp in black/white/grey

3373860.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • 2barquack
    2barquack Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/179439_10150127729355087_588240086_7692110_4513097_n.jpg

I got this about a year and half ago, it's means the birth of me as a gamer, it's the day I got my Nintendo, Christmas day of 86 and just reflects what kind of personality I have.
  • Ladydrake12
    Ladydrake12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Mine is the Kanji symbol for beautiful on the back of my neck. I grew up listening to my mom put herself down all the time, which sort of taught me that I am not beautiful since I look identical to my mother. I was terribly self conscious growing up, so I decided to get a reminder for myself that I am beautiful and to NEVER teach my child (when I have one) to think of him or herself that way.
  • butterwaffalo
    Options
    My tattoo starts at the top of my back and travels down to my pinky toe. I have a variety of stars with different colors and designs in them. I have a black shaded background that flows around them with music notes floating throughout. It flows in an "S" shape down my back, over the top of my hip, down my left thigh, around the side of my knee and down my shin, over my foot, with one little star on my pinky :) The meaning is that stars are so high in the sky that they are untouchable. It was my freedom symbol from a bad relationship and I am untouchable to him. The music notes symbolize my life growing up. Music was a great part in my life and helped me to escape the troubles of childhood. It all started with one 3" X 5" tat on my shoulder blade...it just grew and grew and grew :)
  • maysflower
    Options
    Inside of my left arm - Chinese symbols that say "Believe in Yourself". Got that one when I hit Onederland!
    Lower back on the left side - A purple flower. Doesn't mean anything. It was just pretty.
    Back of my right shoulder - A butterfly. Again, doesn't mean anything.
    Left breast - A blue sun. It means I was a stupid 16 yr old who just wanted a tattoo. It was my first one. lol!
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My first is the Aerosmith logo. Got it when I was 16 but don't have any photos to share. They were my favorite band as a kid, my first six concerts, symbolized the bond I had with my mother and were the band that got me heavily into music as a child. It's above my right ankle.

This is my second. Lady Gaga is my idol and I got the peace sign on my wrist like she has on hers. She also got her tattoo because of her love of John Lennon and I also am an enormous Beatles fanatic. So it has a bit of a double meaning for me. I haven't met her yet but I wanted her signature on me to represent my love for her and how much she has deeply changed my life.

tattoo.png
  • sherryd527
    sherryd527 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have two. One "tramp stamp" that I got when I turned 45 which is the "Om" symbol to remind me to be centered and present at all times. Then when I turned 50 I had 6 cherry blossoms tattooed around the symbol to represent each of my 6 children and Washington, DC which is my hometown. Then I have the date I quit drinking tattooed on my right wrist (my drinking hand ;-) ). It works for me.
  • harley_rose
    Options
    Betty Boop Devil on left shoulder on the back with my youngest daughters name under it ---> next to her is a heart with horns and a tail with my daughters (my granddaughters) name in it
    Betty Boop Angel on the right shoulder on the back with my oldest daughters name under it

Harley davidson bar and shield with wings on my left wrist - Riding my harley makes me feel free

Rosebud on my right boob

Tramp stamp two heart joined together with an arrow dripping blood.. ( two lovers join together by the arrow of love yet it can be painful so hence the blood)
  • smangani
    smangani Posts: 120
    Options
    Mine is right ankle. Two dolphins. My mom had it on her computer for the longest time. She always believed it replicated her and my father - as he led the family with protection and always smiling.

After they both passed away I had it done as a tattoo. Love it!!
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    More like what ARE your tattoos for me, lol.

Wrists- Red Diamond wine bottle label graphic. It's a winery in WA where I'm originally from. The minute I saw the design I knew it would be going on my wrists. The funny thing is..... I hate wine. No meaning.
    12.jpg

Left Calf- dragon head Right Calf- unicorn head. Again, they're flash with no meaning. I saw them at the parlor I hung out at and loved them so I got them, lol.
    14.jpg13.jpg

Left Hip- husband's birth flower Right Hip- a kiwi bird in remembrance of a friend from New Zealand who died from cancer
    9.jpg8.jpg

And then pretty much my whole back is covered. I of course have the obligitory "tramp stamp", which is because I'm irish. Then if you go up towards the right side, there's an Angel for my mother (bc she loves angels), above that is a celtic knot for motherhood and the colors are the colors of my mom and kid's birth stones, then above that on my right shoulder is my kid's birth flower and sign with his name in gaelic. now going up my left side are 9 paw prints in memory of my stepdad (well, my daddy as i considered him). His initials in the first 3 paw prints, when he died in the 2nd set of 3 paw prints, and when he was born in the 3rd set of paw prints. Now up the middle of my back is a tribal Phoenix because my life has been a little tough the last 10 years and since I married my military man it will continue to change and evolve. Above that one is my birth flower with my birth sign.
    DSC_0004.jpg

p.s. sorry for the size!!! i resized them but obviously NOT enough, lol.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love this post!!!

1) Right ankle: Peace sign with two dolphins surrounding it.....no meaning. It was one of the first ones I got.

2) Upper back right side: Map of the philippines (my heritage) with a heart on the island my mom is from with lilies (my favorite flower), a heart filled with the american and filipino flags and the word "Maganda" which means beautiful in Tagalog scrolled at the top.

3) Right wrist: Philippine national flower with my children names wrapped around it in Babayin (ancient filipino) writing

4) Upper back left side: Hail Mary prayer written in Babayin

5) Across lower belly: Celtic mother knot, with cherry blossom branches coming from it with a breast cancer ribbon for my best friend who is battling the awful disease. Still a work in progress, waiting for color on this one.

Photos are on my profile if you want to check them out. :wink:
  • Anolte76
    Anolte76 Posts: 105
    Options
    I have 3

1) On my back between my shoulder blades is an Irish Claddagh design (proud to be Irish)

2) On my back (higher than typical tramp stamp, lol) is a Wonder Woman design (need i say more...amazon women rock)

3) On my right ankle I have a rose vine with the letters HD for Harley Davidson. (biker chic at heart)

4) Soon will have a Henri Matisse design on my left foot (my favorite artist....art hisory major)
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have 2. The first is a tramp stamp of a gecko. It just fits my personality and although I got it 7(eek!) years ago I don't regret it at all. Then a few years ago I got the same gecko crawling up my foot. I love them both and I'll post pics on here when I can figure out how. I do plan on getting another (hopefully this year), of a gecko curled around a book on my shoulder blade, again the gecko because I love them, and the book in memory of my grandmother who passed away 3 months before my wedding in 2010. I miss her every day and I know that she would love it.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Right ankle- little black tree frog. My first, because I thought it was cute
    Left ankle- Parrot. I come from a family of Parrotheads
    Left upper arm- Tiger with Asian forest background. I love it, but don't feel like it's quite done. Plan to add more scenery. It was originally placed to cover some scars from my youth.
    Right upper arm- Tribal horse and unicorn. The unicorn represents my dreams when I was young, the horse represents what I achieved.
    Right shoulder- Cherry tree with my kid's initials.
    Inside lower right arm- Another horse, but abstract in shades of red and orange. Represents the saying, "Chestnut mare. Beware!" My first horse was a *****y redhead.

I've also had 3 tattoos removed. I was planning a career which would not have allowed ink below the elbow. I've given up on the hope of the career now, but the tats are gone and likely will be redone in the near future.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have two. I got both when I was 38/39. The first is a "tramp stamp" that my sister designed. It has a cross in the middle with vines and leaves floating off of it. It has 4 hearts (two each side) and at the bottom of each heart are my kids initials (JNJC). You can't tell the initials unless I point them out. The second one is the Steelers Logo on top of my right foot. This one has two meanings. Of course, I love the Steelers (and my husband is a Browns fan..whatever). But its also the Steel Logo. I've been through ALOT of stuff in my life and I say that with as much as I've gone through I have to be made of STEEL! lol
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    double post, sorry...
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'm planning my first one, based on the story of St Guinefort. The story goes that a nobeleman had a greyhound way back when (think Dark Ages). Nobleman goes away from the keep one day, doing nobleman stuff, and comes back to find the nursery in a shambles and blood all over the dog's muzzle. Thinking the worst, he kills the dog. He then finds the dead body of a serpent, and lo and behold the kid is just fine.

I love the loyalty that speaks of on the part of the dog - they are protectors with love for their families. The picture will incorporate a black greyhound (because mine is black), a halo, and a snake. I'm going to the tattoo artist tonight actually to finalize the drawing. :)

ETA: I really wanted to incorporate my dog's paw print in the tattoo, but trying to get a big doofus dog to hold still, put his paw on an ink pad, NOT set it down anywhere but on the paper, and tolerate me washing said paw with soap and water, prooved to be kind of an ordeal. :laugh:
  • tjlbg1984
    tjlbg1984 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have 7. Not all have meaning but I do like them all!
    First tattoo was on right hip- A large red star for me (my birth stone color), a small blue star for my son, and four black stars for my siblings. I later got "Deo Gratias" under it which is latin for "thanks be to God"
    stars.jpg
    I also got a black rabbit tattoo for my very first pet that I had on my own, Olivia. She passed away last December and I was heartbroken. She went with me everywhere in life and now will go everywhere with me still :)
    olivie.jpg
    I also have a small heart on my neck which my best friend and I got together. I think it is cute
    heart.jpg

Lips on my butt- Just because I always wanted that :)
    "Mischief Managed" on my chest, in white so you can barely see it, from Harry Potter
    "High Fives to Better Judgement" on my right thigh. A quote from my favorite band, Incubus

Love this! I love seeing everyone's ideas!