Please tell me I am not the only one

Options

Replies

• krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Since I have a 13 yr old at home I have to keep some chips.cookies etc in the house or face mutiny. But I also try to plan out my snacks just like my meals to try to avoid the problem. Then there are the days I eat a whole can of pringles in 10 min. So no you are most definatly not alone.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    this is actually a form of addictive reasoning. it's something to be careful of.

Please tell me I am not the only one to agree with this.

I agree. The reasoning doesn't make sense to me.

I do not do this. When I think things will tempt me, I throw them in the trash.

Same here. Otherwise, I just force them on other people (who usually willing accept). :bigsmile:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    this is actually a form of addictive reasoning. it's something to be careful of.

Please tell me I am not the only one to agree with this.
    oh i totally agree with you. It is disordered thinking and eating.
  • angelique74
    Options
    I do the same thing. If it is here and in eye sight, when I'm bored I want to eat snacks, even when I'm not hungry. I have to hide what is in the house, well, my son does, so I won't eat them. After the snacks that are currently in the house are gone, we will not be buying the yummy but fattening snacks. My son actually suggested this since he wants to help me too. I would have fruits or veggies in the house and I would go for the fattening snacks instead and the heathly food goes bad. Maybe after the bad food is gone, I will eat the fruits/veggies when I feel the need to eat something. I do keep chocolate chips in the freezer for when I get a craving, at work and home. I just grab a few choc chips and it gets rid of my sweet tooth.
  • KellyAnneH
    KellyAnneH Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My freezer is my friend when it comes to treats. I did eat more yummiest than I really should have, but when I realised what I was doing I tucked it all into the freezer. I won't eat it frozen (too much expensive dental work) so I won't scarf it all down at once. If I have space in my calories for the day and have fulfilled my protein and fibre goal I'll take 1-2 toffees or other small treat out, let it warm up and enjoy. Anything that can't be frozen? Into the trash with something nasty on top or down the toilet.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    You're NOT the only one. I struggle with this too. No matter who thinks what about how your mind works...its real.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    It's completely irrational but I am guilty of this as well... LOL
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I am completely the same way! I don't feel quite as tempted since starting MFP, but there is more than one reason I don't keep Oreos in the house. :noway:
  • luvtrails
    luvtrails Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have to throw tempting food in the trash and then "soil it" or I will dig it out for one more bite! A clump of hair from my boyfrined's brush usually does the trick!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

This. Very much this. I'm baffled by some of what's being said. I get cravings and make not excellent food choices. Today is an example. But eating something in large quantity to be relieved it isn't there is a bit foreign. Sounds like keeping it out of sight out of mind is a good choice at least until you get used to being more healthy . Good luck.
  • lmbtexas
    Options
    Solution...don't bring it into the house. Outta sight, outta mind.
  • caseysray
    caseysray Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone. My weaknesses are sweets and chips.
  • mncodergal
    mncodergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am sooo guilty of doing this!
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one. It bogs down my mind some days. (I think way too much!) My thought is if it's gone then I won't have to worry about craving it so I eat it all, usually in 1 or 2 sittings. Once the bf brought over a peach pie and we had our 1 piece each. As soon as he left I immediately grabbed it from the fridge, got a spoon and dug in!

i'm slowly learning why I do such things and have not pigged out in a few weeks.

14191436.png
  • mflinn84
    Options
    Haha! You are so certainly not the only one that does this. I was at a party for my husband's work just two months ago and a girl was telling me that the anxiety about ...."to eat or not to eat" drives her so crazy that she'll polish off the rest of the cheesecake just to be like, "There, it's gone. No more debate".

I've done the same thing with brownies, I'm sure.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You're not alone....lately I give myself little pep talks though. It helps a little. But what helps more is not buying the sweets (in my case -- I'm safe around mostly everything else). But I also indulge, too. I think the best thing for me is to buy single servings of something I like (such as one candy bar, instead of keeping cookies in the house).

But, you definitely have a lot of company. I also think I have those feelings because I'm worried (on some level) that there's never enough. I don't know where this feeling comes from, but it's there.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    You are not alone.. I do that at times!! frustrating =/ People say keep it out the house but its hard when you have others in the home that aren't on this same diet or lifestyle. I do see it all as a mental thing and we just gotta have the willpower to not eat them.
  • Careygirl1968
    Careygirl1968 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yep - and I've learned it's not very effective to try to hide things from myself.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I do this too. My weakness is potato chips.
  • dietonthego
    dietonthego Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Portions, what are portions? This first week I am looking at portions. I usually eat everything and don't even think about it. I guess that is why I have to lose twenty pounds.I have to admit when I don't want to eat something I'll put detergent on it and throw it in the garbage.Simply throwing something in the garbage is not enough!
  • mistersmithsbox
    Options
    The fudge got me good this Christmas. I don't keep sweets on hand or at least not gluten free ones. So long as they are gluten, you can't pay me to touch it but those GF goodies.... best to just not have them around.

I murdered Udi's Snickerdoodles and vanilla ice cream.

I'm the same way but with everything.