gym pet peeves

Options

Replies

• ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    When people act like the gym they pay for like everyone else pays for is their own personal gym to be rude to others or pick on people who do not do things they do not like. Seriously, build your own home gym or stop being so nosy...
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    what irritates me is people gunting when pushing weights, like they are the only person working out uugggg
    what I like is when the gym is empty (like 3 am) when I have the entire place to myself and set up my routine and go though with a nice flow

Go to planet fitness than. You piss me off.

Grunting is allowed, as long as it's not like "GRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!" and the person carries on forever. When I'm lifting heavy and challenging myself, I usually have to let out a few "nyuuh!"'s to get those last few reps in. I'm not yelling or anything and I make it a point to turn down the volume on my iPod a little so I can be more aware of just how loud my noises are, lol.
  • BuffLoveWinning
    BuffLoveWinning Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Horrible running shorts. Especially on old geezers I'm sorry idont need to see your balls.
    Also creepers who pretend to work out and watch the ladies aerobics come on weirdo. G to the bar u have a better chance.
    Sweat suits. They don't work and smell. I mean the plastic garbage bag.
    People who talk about other people in the gym. Were there to get it together and no ones bytes then the next, so don't comment on eir body shape look at yours.
  • simplymily
    Options
    When people won't keep their wandering eyes to themself! Stop staring at my machine and at my numbers and concentrate on YOUR workout!
  • handy05
    handy05 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    And remember that holding on makes you burn less so those calorie counts on the machine are even more useless

Thanks, I didn't know that! I recently just started to try without holding, but not for that reason.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    And remember that holding on makes you burn less so those calorie counts on the machine are even more useless

Thanks, I didn't know that! I recently just started to try without holding, but not for that reason.

NP, you're on the right track anyway :)
  • thepickygirl
    Options
    People who talk on their cell phones LOUDLY while I'm on a machine. I can hear them over my music, and it drives me crazy. There are signs posted, but our gym attendants aren't necessarily around when it happens.

I also can't stand when the guys groan and stuff. Weirds me out.

But I LOVE that my gym is a higher average age because there are some old people who work out and love it. They don't miss. Encourages me.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Dislike: People wearing cologne or perfume! AHHHH I'm breathing heavily and really don't want to taste that.

Like: Seeing people mouthing words to songs while in a groove or otherwise having fun :) Also, I like that the employees remember me at this point and most of them are really friendly (but also not obnoxiously friendly). That makes such a huge difference some days when I don't feel like being there!
  • travm2007
    Options
    I have several that I see almost every time I go to a gym.
    1. People that don't wipe down equipment.
    2. Guys that spend 5 minutes lifting and then the next 45 minutes sitting on the bench staring at everyone.
    3. Gym employees that stop right beside you while giving a prospective member a tour and talk about their gym for 10 minutes. I wanna work out hard and get it done and I don't need people standing on the treadmill next to me trying to do their sales pitch, it's just awkward.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    YES!! I thought I was the only one irritated by this. I have never understood why some people choose the treadmill right next to me when all the others are not being used.

I've been guilty of this once or twice - but only because there was something on TV in front of the treadmill that I wanted to watch. Sorry you guys :)
  • chauser1022
    Options
    I think everyone kind of has the right to do their own thing at the gym...it is their happy place. I do have one HUGE pet peeve. When people have their ipods turned up so loud in the steam room that I can't relax after a good workout. The thing I love at the gym...where to start....my excellent trainer, Nick is my favorite and just that feeling of actually taking time to take care of myself.
  • finding_my_way
    finding_my_way Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When people act like the gym they pay for like everyone else pays for is their own personal gym to be rude to others or pick on people who do not do things they do not like. Seriously, build your own home gym or stop being so nosy...

this
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    what irritates me is people gunting when pushing weights, like they are the only person working out uugggg
    what I like is when the gym is empty (like 3 am) when I have the entire place to myself and set up my routine and go though with a nice flow

Go to planet fitness than. You piss me off.

LOL! Me too!
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    it's so funny to see how many "MEATHEADS" have got offended by this topic hahahahahahhahahh (too many steroids= bad mood)
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    He- men who put mega weights on the machines, groans and yells through a set, and then walk away w/o removing the mega weights!

Oh Yea!! Big Time!
  • chibi1234
    Options
    I work in a gym. So my pet peeves might my different.
    But my biggest is when I'm doing a weigh and measure with someone and they complain at me that MY gym isn't giving them results when they refuse to break a sweat.

I had a lady quit working out and she said "Oh god, i'm sweating. i should stop."
    I wanted to scream because she's one who gets mad at me for her results! AHHH.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Aside from the people who don't wipe down the machines, I hate seeing the old perverts who come in and pretend to work out, but in actuality are watching the ladies. I went to a gym a week or two ago and in walks this guy who instead of changing out into workout clothes, sits down in his nicely pressed shirt, dress slacks, and suspenders, and spend the evening watching any tail that passed him. Okay, I understand that he may like what he sees, but to hog the weight bench, budge the bar with two reps every three minutes, and let out a, 'Lawd ham mercy' whenever one of the ladies walks by is... well ultra creepy. I'm all for old geezers getting their stare on, but for Christ sake, be inconspicuous with it!

To make matters worse, he'd shift his exercises conveniently with how the women moved. The ladies move to the floor mat for a few sit ups and suddenly he's facing us and doing his 2lb bicep curls. A lady goes to jumprope and BAM---suddenly he's in the mood to work out while facing Northeast. I had the right mind to give him a, 'STRANGER DANGER!' yell.
  • jersanter
    jersanter Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Guys that walk around the locker room naked. PUT YOUR TOWEL ON!!! Worse than that? Naked guys that want to stand and have a conversation with you.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Okay there are a few pet peeves here that I think should be explained from another point of view.

1. lifting in reps of six is actually recommended. 6-8 of a challenging weight will build muscle better than a rep of 12. So I'm not sure why some people find this annoying. I lift HEAVY and depending on the level of challenge may only get up to six. I would recommend this for anyone who doesn't buy into that toning bs.

2. I was told by a trainer that you should lean back at a slight angle when doing lat pulldowns. This may or may not be incorrect, but having a hissy because someone is leaning back seems silly.

3. grunting: it happens and it can be noisy. I see no issue with it if it gets you to that final set.
  • Lisee38
    Options
    He- men who put mega weights on the machines, groans and yells through a set, and then walk away w/o removing the mega weights!

LMAO that is mine as well as the individuals who talk to you when your lifting even tho you are wearing headphones & cant hear them so you have to stop. ugh not to be anti-social but I like to workout at the gym & talk when I'm done