Irritating

Options
Ok...here is my question: As of this morning I have lost 22 pounds (although I don't officialy weigh in until Friday..lol). I KNOW my body has changed. I am able to fit into clothes that I haven't worn in ages and some of those clothes are too big. I've gone down 2 pants sizes at least and my face is even different. I see muscles coming back that I haven't seen in years. So why haven't people said anything to me? Oh, I've had one or two friends that tell me how great I look. But the people I work with EVERYDAY haven't said a word. It makes me kind of sad and I get irritated that nobody has noticed my hard work. I know this is seemingly very selfish but I'm proud of what I've done.

Replies

• dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It's because they see you every day.

The people I work with every day don't see it either but one of our customers who comes in once every 3-4 months noticed so it's just one of those things where they see you shrinking week by week so they don't really notice it.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i felt the same way after i lost about 30lbs and no one said anything..it was when i got up past 50 people started to notice.. alot of times people dont want to say anything either because they arent sure and dont want to offend.. just be proud you did this and keep moving forward .. your day of fame is on its way when you walk in to a party with some hot outfit on that really shows off your new bod ..
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Wait...you WANT people to say something? :noway:
  • jrow0524
    Options
    Buy something completely new and form fitting to wear. Your co-workers will notice then.:smile:
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    I agree it's because they see you. Also sometimes maybe they notice but are afraid of saying the wrong thing. Like stating have you lost weight insinuates that they thought maybe you had weight to lose in the first place. So it could be that as well. Dont worry about that - just keep doing what you are doing!!
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I agree they see you everyday, its hard to tell a difference when you see someone everyday! but one day it will just click and they will be like YOU LOST weight!!! ") Great Job with losing and keep up the great job
  • yesiwillbeloosingit
    Options
    Last year I gained around 35 lbs due to eating out way too often and not watching my intake. None of my coworkers (my team is very close) noticed it.. I have even asked some if they can see it - and they say they cant...

I think its hard for ppl that see you everyday to notice the changes..

Trust your feeling and fit of your cloths and soon others will notice too :)
  • elysia81
    Options
    Also, remember that you are doing this for yourself, so you feel good. When you are happy and healthy that's when people will tell you you look good! Congrats! Keep up the good work!!
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It's hard when your efforts aren't noticed, especially when you feel more attractive. I agree that people who see you everyday are the least likely to notice - don't let that bother you. More and more people will start mentioning it and your work mates will catch on. If you have a particular friend who hasn't said anything its fine to mention the work you've put into losing weight and how excited you are by the results.
    Keep your chin up and be proud of yourself, you are doing GREAT!!!
  • AprilEC
    AprilEC Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My thought would be, if they see you every day, they may not notice as much as you would like! HOWEVER, it may also be that they want to say something and they have noticed, they just dont want to say something and make it seem like you were so big before and now you look so much better....some people feel awkward or rude by saying somthing. Then again, you could mention to them, I've lost this amount of weight and automatically they will say "I WAS GOING TO SAY SOMETHING! but didnt want to be rude". It never fails! Just know that you know! And YOU feel better. Others will eventually come around and see it or say something too.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Yep.....they see you all the time. The biggest compliment I received when I lost weight was when my next oldest brother told a distant cousin that he didn't recognize me the first time he'd seen me after I lost a significant amount of weight. :smile:

For me, I had to buy clothes that actually fit my body before anyone really noticed I had lost weight. And I was losing during the school year (I'm a teacher), so I was seeing my co-workers all the time. The ones who noticed and said something first were the ones I didn't see often (parents at ball games, etc).

Kaye
  • glenclewis
    glenclewis Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's because they see you everyday or regularly. Find someone that hasn't seen you in several months or longer :tongue:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    you know there is a difference-that should be what matters!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Honestly I dont see why this should be irritating...
    I know when Im at work, Im too busy focusing on my job responsibilities...

If people are telling you that you 'look great', that should be enough of a jolt of happiness because, that in itself means they are noticing...

Its the people who probably didnt see you for about a year, that when you finally see them, and the only mental picture they had is the previous-you, thats who will notice more..

Seriously.. dont stress yourself about this.. its just not worth it.. you dont want to mess with a good thing....
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    Several years ago when I was not trying to lose weight and not working out, I knew several people that I worked with who were dieting and exercising. I saw them get smaller and smaller. I didn't say anything because I was embarrassed about my own self. Nevertheless they did inspire me and now I too am exercising and working out. Many do not say anything to me either. Maybe they realize they should be doing the same but do not want to admit it. It doesn't matter.... I can see the difference in myself and in the mirror. However, I am very careful not to go about talking about my workouts and diets and etc and in general lecturing others about it. They already know just like I knew several years ago. They just need to figure out for themselves that they are going to do it.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Because some people get irate and think it's insulting to have comments made about their weight. So to err on the side of caution, some people don't say anything at all.
  • plaid405
    plaid405 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've felt that way before when I've lost weight. Yes they do see you everyday so that makes it harder. I know sometimes when I've seen other people lose weight it's made me feel bad that I'm not. So instead of complimenting them I start complaining to myself about why I haven't started trying to get healthier. So keep your head up. Just know you are doing a great job and I bet a few have noticed!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Not all of us comment on our coworkers' appearance. It can get a bit dicey... and litigious.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    People didn't say anything to me until I had lost about 25 pounds. Apparently I was the talk of the office with the whispers of "Freckles has lost a lot of weight." "She's looking really good." But they never said it TO me. AND I work out over lunch in my work's workout room. So it isn't like it was a secret. AND there are only 15 people in my office.... Someone will probably say something soon. :-)
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You look great! I know what you mean. I lost most of mine from August to December and now that all of my employees are coming back they are like....wow..you lost alot over the holidays. I was only gone for a week. LOL!!! It does seem to help us with that push when we need it. But I just chuckle because they see me everyday!! Best of wishes!!!
    Shelia