1200 Calories?!

Options
Hi there!

So ive downloaded this app on my phone and basically sticking to 1200 calories a day till my holiday in March! Anyone else done this and how many/how long did u lose it?? Ive only been doing it a week!

Replies

• Maylene2012
    Options
    yep...1200 calories. If you work out also, you will loose more and it reflects on the daily food log.
    I have been doing it for a week tomorrow and lost 2lbs.
  • Cole721
    Cole721 Posts: 15
    Options
    I've been trying to stick to 1200 calories since Dec 26 and I've lost 5 lbs!
  • Jane2285
    Jane2285 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been doing 1200 calories a day (well...mostly except the holidays were tough) and working out every day for about an hour to two hours. I walk more than normal as well, for example, parking farther away at the store, at work, taking the stairs, etc...I've lost 22 pounds since September. Add lots of water and cut out pop. I have to have some caffeine, so I drink a Dr. Pepper 10 every day. It's hard, but worth it! From what I have researched, depending on your body and stuff, you can lose up to 2 pounds a week with a 1200 calorie a day diet with some excercise. Keep that in mind, you have to be doing something to help burn those calories. Subway has become m yfriend! LOL! Good luck! I've done so much research, I'm here to help!
  • monty_williams
    Options
    I averaged 1200 cals per day, and along with 30-45 minutes of elliptical 1-2 x per day, 5 days per week, lost almost 70 lbs. I averaged about 3 lbs per week, some weeks 5 lbs. I'm at a comfortable 2500 cal maintenance and have kept the same weight for a year, even with reduced exercise. I lift weights 3-4x per week but rarely do cardio - although I need to start for general cardiovascular fitness.

With limited calories, ensure that the food you eat is nutrient dense. Lean protein and fiber with every meal to keep you full. It's amazing how much vegetables you can eat for so few calories. I used to go through a 9oz bag of spinich a day. Egg whites, tuna/salmon, chicken breast, greek yogurt, fruits, peppers, quinoa, almond milk, whey protein isolate, etc. Very little cheese, bread, potato, white rice, pasta. Lot's of water and 3-4 cups of green tea a day, plus vitamins.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The rate at which you lose weight depends upon how much weight you have to lose. If you have lots of weight to lose .... it will come off more quickly. If you are close to your goal (say 10 pounds) ..... the slower it comes off (like 1/2 pound per week).

I typically eat 1400 calories per day because I eat back my exercise calories. I choose to eat my calories back because I want to build muscle (or at least keep it) .... too many years of being inactive for me.
  • cmh_34
    cmh_34 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1390... It's tough, but doable.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hi there I've been doing this since about April and lost 12kgs!! I love it and an just maintaining now...I could easily loose more it of wanted to!!
    Good luck!!
    Add me as a friend if you need encouraging!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have been doing 1200 a day since mid nov and i have only lost 3 lbs :( the last 10 days i was eating over 1200 and i put back on 1.5, so down i go again.... it's so hard for me and i am exercising too and eating back my calories but i'm not getting anywhere...
  • piercedbeauty21
    Options
    I've been doing 1,200 calories (or less) for about a week now and I've lost 6lbs. I try to exercise everyday, even if it's just walking in place, to help me burn a few more calories, so I can have that "extra snack" lol. You're more than welcome to add me, so you can see my diary.
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    ive been doing 1240 calories and ive lose 13 lbs (i reset my ticker for 2012) ive been at it since 9/25/11. I SLACKED OF A LOT! fast food, booze, burgers, and lots of chips!
  • crazyleo86
    Options
    mines say 1700 calories..i feel like that is a lot? is that normal?
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    I've been doing 1200 a day since the week of thanksgiving and have lost 15 pounds...it is hard that first couple of weeks once you realize how much you've been eatting, but it gets better once you learn to plan better :)

ETA: Add me. My diary is public.
  • Sthiara18
    Sthiara18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 and I lost 1.5 lbs in one week.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Is everyone doing 1200 calories like 4'3" and 95lbs?
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I also aim for 1200 calories each day. When planning, it never seems like much food, but I've found that a lot of the extra calories that I was missing were mostly due to boredom/accessibility/stress - not hunger.

I like to split mine up into a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 3 small snacks, so I'm constantly munching. It helps to know that there is always something coming soon. This does take organization and planning, though.

Good luck!

ps - I'm 5'2" and 116 lbs.
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    mines say 1700 calories..i feel like that is a lot? is that normal?

this all depends on your activity level, current weight, how much you want to lose weekly and what not.... 1700, for you, may be just enough... I am at 1300 and I know someone at 1500 and so on and so forth... you can also adjust it manually (custom goals) if you feel it is too much for you, though I personally do trust MFP's calculations as they have worked for me so far...
  • stephanielindley422
    Options

I am 5'2 and 186. Started at 201.
  • Sthiara18
    Sthiara18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Nope 5'0 175
  • millomite01
    millomite01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have stuck with 1200 cals for four months and lost 31lbs so far. 9 to go. It works if you do your best but don't worry about going over the 1200 occasionally. It will happen. Try and do some exercise every week and a walk every two days or so of more than 10 mins. Take the stairs not the lift and walk faster everywhere.
  • fanemonster
    Options
    I Eat about 1600 cals every day and absolutly will not eat starchy breads, chips, or anything processed... and i also do P90X every day which burns about 600 extra cals... Drink ice water, you can burn an additional 100 cals a day just by heating the water in your stumach, 8 lbs in 7 days starting weight 206 goal weight 180.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!