I would like ADVICE on ATKINS??? :) ***GOOD?**NAY?***

Options
124»

Replies

• zenthebird
    zenthebird Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It is really important to read the book. There are myths out there that just won't die. The induction phase is not zero carbs. The induction phase is only for the first 2 weeks, then carb levels are adjusted upward.
    don't do it! it is just a fad, and not a very healthy one either. My mom and I did it, we lost weight, yeah, but when we just couldn't do it anymore, we BOTH gained back all the weight and then some. Find a plan that works for you and can be sustainable

A forty year old FAD that has numerous studies and uncountable success stories to back it up. Unfortuantely people equate Atkins with the Phase 1 Induction and even then they misrepresent it because it does not cut out all carbs. In fact, as others have said, you will probably eat even more vegetables than you do on low calorie diets. It's not for everyone but many people not only do well on Atkins but feel great and end up with better health numbers than before they started.
  • shipwreck3
    Options
    My husband is following this diet, but his way. He can live on a diet of steaks and eggs and veggies. He has dropped about 3 sizes. I follow low calorie. I treid low carb, but I am mean without a few carbs. LOL I also know that if u come off the diet, u regain the weight very quickly.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    NAY
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Pardon my oversimplification, my intenstion was not to slam Atkins, I was refering to carbs being converted to glucose more easily. The brain requires glucose to function and the decline of glucose levels results in the classic symptons of confusion, dizzyness, irritability and so forth.

But this is just not necessarily true. Some people do report a bit of a brain fog the first few days while eating low-carb but it goes away as your body adjusts. For me, I never felt that.

I immediately had vastly decreased confusion, better memory, better ability to multi-task, sharper and quicker processing of information, no dizziness at all, and my moods are happier, calmer, and I no longer have emotional roller-coasters. In fact, low-carb allowed me to go off my anti-depressants and my mood is much, much better than it was when I was eating more carbs and taking anti-depressants.

Please don't make blanket statements and state it as fact when many people have the same results I've had. Since we're all different, I would guess that what you said might be true for some people but it's not true for everybody.
  • EnufAlready
    EnufAlready Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Pardon my oversimplification, my intenstion was not to slam Atkins, I was refering to carbs being converted to glucose more easily. The brain requires glucose to function and the decline of glucose levels results in the classic symptons of confusion, dizzyness, irritability and so forth.

But this is just not necessarily true. Some people do report a bit of a brain fog the first few days while eating low-carb but it goes away as your body adjusts. For me, I never felt that.

I immediately had vastly decreased confusion, better memory, better ability to multi-task, sharper and quicker processing of information, no dizziness at all, and my moods are happier, calmer, and I no longer have emotional roller-coasters. In fact, low-carb allowed me to go off my anti-depressants and my mood is much, much better than it was when I was eating more carbs and taking anti-depressants.

Please don't make blanket statements and state it as fact when many people have the same results I've had. Since we're all different, I would guess that what you said might be true for some people but it's not true for everybody.

I also am much more focused and energetic and think more clearly on low carb. I have several sleep disorders and they are very much reduced when I eat low carb.

Ten years ago I lost 50 pounds on Atkins and kept it off very well. Over the last 3 years of eating very badly I have put twenty pounds back on. I had intended to eat low calorie and try to lose 1 pound a week (very slow weight loss on low carb) but couldn't even stick to it for a week. Then I thought why mess with success. Atkins worked in 2002 and I'm sure it will work again. So I've decided to go back on Atkins.

The amazing thing is that after only two days on induction, my extremely painful foot problem is gone. I don't know what the foot problem is but in 2008 I had a bilateral knee replacement (which contributed to my weight gain) and have had a very painful foot ever since. So bad that I am limping all the time. today - no pain!!!!

I'm not in ketosis yet so I am having cravings. i just hope I remember that pain before I indulge.
  • MsPinVa
    MsPinVa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to get a lot of hate-speech against all carb-related diets. Personally, I'm not a fan of Atkins. Instead I push South Beach. It recommends limiting simple carbs but encourages complex carbs (the ones your body breaks down more slowly), thus avoiding insulin spikes and the resulting blood-sugar drops.

I previously lost 70 lbs on South Beach, enjoying whole grain rices and pastas.

Agree! Even my Gastric Bypass surgeon recommends the atkins and south beach as the best diets if you want to lose. Those simple carbs bite us all in the *kitten*.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I would recommended that you talk to a registered dietician before you start anything like Atkins, or really any diet.
  • kckrahn
    kckrahn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    don't do it! it is just a fad, and not a very healthy one either. My mom and I did it, we lost weight, yeah, but when we just couldn't do it anymore, we BOTH gained back all the weight and then some. Find a plan that works for you and can be sustainable

People that gain weight back do not necessarily follow the plan. In most cases people that gain the weight back do induction for way to long and do not work healthy carbs back into their diet. The book says to add 5 net carbs per week(daily). So you will work your way. P eating fruits and eventually to whole grains Week 1 and 2 open Atkins you can eat 20 net carbs. These all come from veggies. Week 3 you can eat 25 daily carbs for frui t and veggies and week 4 30 net carbs daily etc etc. a net Atkins carb is when you subtract the fiber from the carbs. I.e. flax seed milled has 3 carbs per serving and 3 grams of fiber so the net carb is 0.

You can be successful I you do it right.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    You need carbs for energy and to live, also if you cut out carbs and then reintroduce them you will gain it all back. :grumble:

Just counting calories works for many :flowerforyou:
  • funkycamper
    Options
    You need carbs for energy and to live, also if you cut out carbs and then reintroduce them you will gain it all back. :grumble:

Just counting calories works for many :flowerforyou:

It's low-carb, not no-carb. Just counting calories doesn't work for many.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Have you considered upping your calorie intake? I took a look at your diary and you have many very low days. If you're dissatisfied with your progress and you really like carbs, this might be a more sustainable alternative for you. I have no problem with low-carbers (except I know it isn't for me) but you're regularly well below your calorie allotment so if you decide Atkins isn't for you, that might be something else you could try.
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Would just like to add that over my whole life of dieting, every time I have lost weight - whether it be by Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Pritikin, a variety of low-fat plans, even one of the very early gastric banding, meal replacements, calorie counting and yes, even Atkins - I have put it all back on, plus some. Not sure why some people think that only happens with Atkins!
    On my current journey, I have lost 55kg (over 110lbs), over 3 years. I enjoy life, go off Atkins for a while, enjoy eating and drinking, put on a bit of weight (no more than 3kg, that's the trick), feel like c***, then I buckle down and get back on track. It works for me. I'm fit and healthy, and looking better. Thank you Dr Atkins!
    And thank you my good friend who, to shut up my 'fad diet, bad for you' admonishments when she started Atkins, said, 'here, you read the book, then tell me'.
  • ladywolfkahn
    Options
    I am not doing the Atkins diet BUT I do LOVE some of the snacks and shakes one can buy. Best part they help me keep my sugar levels lower which is going since I am Type 2.
    They really help me in mornings since am not and never have been a breakfast type person, not even as a kid.
    Tina
  • Bet_Lynch
    Options
    I personally think Atkins is OK as a jump start but eventually you'll have to transition into a more normal diet. It can still be low-ish carb, but more normal.

I completly agree with the above. I lost 13 lbs in 2 months and i was soooo happy. But I found i couldn't stay on it for long because it was so restrictive. I then upped the carbs (one slice of whole bread or small amount of brown rice etc) and i managed to keep the weight steady, but then it was xmas, i gave up smoking and put on 7lbs :(

I've been trying the calorie counting, but yet again it's not really working at all for me so I may go back to low carb and try and give myself a boost with that again, then once I've lost a bit try and ease up on it and include some fruits, rice and wholegrain bread, but only a little.
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    Any diet that requires you to cut out major food groups on a permanent or semi-permanent basis is not sustainable. Sure, you'll drop weight, but if you ever go back to eating carbs, you'll gain it right back and then some.

The best "diet" is choosing to modify your eating patterns in a way that you can continue for life.
  • pickulz76
    Options
    So what did you decide???
    Will you try it?

I've debated it as well so I'm in the same boat
  • funkycamper
    Options
    I personally think Atkins is OK as a jump start but eventually you'll have to transition into a more normal diet. It can still be low-ish carb, but more normal.

I completly agree with the above. I lost 13 lbs in 2 months and i was soooo happy. But I found i couldn't stay on it for long because it was so restrictive. I then upped the carbs (one slice of whole bread or small amount of brown rice etc) and i managed to keep the weight steady, but then it was xmas, i gave up smoking and put on 7lbs :(

I've been trying the calorie counting, but yet again it's not really working at all for me so I may go back to low carb and try and give myself a boost with that again, then once I've lost a bit try and ease up on it and include some fruits, rice and wholegrain bread, but only a little.

Neither one of you understand Atkins or were doing it correctly then. You only stay at the restricted level of 20 grams/carb daily for 2 weeks. That's it. It's just to clear the excess carbs out of your system and get you started. Then you go into the OWL phase (on-going weightloss). During OWL, you add 5 grams/day for a week, then another 5 grams/day for a week, etc. until you get to the carb level where you still lose without triggering carb binge eating. Everybody's top carb level will be different but many people get up to 80-120 grams/carb daily from what I've read on low-carb websites. For me, I try to stay around 80-100 carbs/daily but can go above that on days where I've had intense exercise sessions without a problem. So, if you do Atkins correctly, you can easily get to the point where you can have some rice or bread and still stay in your daily carb limit.

Anyway, while lower-carb eating isn't for everybody, please don't blame the Atkins plan for regaining weight when you haven't actually followed the Atkins plan.
  • funkycamper
    Options
    Any diet that requires you to cut out major food groups on a permanent or semi-permanent basis is not sustainable. Sure, you'll drop weight, but if you ever go back to eating carbs, you'll gain it right back and then some.

The best "diet" is choosing to modify your eating patterns in a way that you can continue for life.

Good grief. You do not have to cut out any food groups to follow Atkins. However, if you did cut something like bread out of your diet, you would be fine. There is nothing in bread that you need and nothing that you can't get from vegetables instead.

I am eating lower-carb for life. Once I reach my goal I may up my carb intake a bit but I will never go back to eating as many useless, non-nutritious high-carb foods as promoted by the food pyramid.

Like any diet, if you go back to old eating habits, you will gain weight back.
  • Bet_Lynch
    Options

Neither one of you understand Atkins or were doing it correctly then. You only stay at the restricted level of 20 grams/carb daily for 2 weeks. That's it. It's just to clear the excess carbs out of your system and get you started. Then you go into the OWL phase (on-going weightloss). During OWL, you add 5 grams/day for a week, then another 5 grams/day for a week, etc. until you get to the carb level where you still lose without triggering carb binge eating. Everybody's top carb level will be different but many people get up to 80-120 grams/carb daily from what I've read on low-carb websites. For me, I try to stay around 80-100 carbs/daily but can go above that on days where I've had intense exercise sessions without a problem. So, if you do Atkins correctly, you can easily get to the point where you can have some rice or bread and still stay in your daily carb limit.

Anyway, while lower-carb eating isn't for everybody, please don't blame the Atkins plan for regaining weight when you haven't actually followed the Atkins plan.

I do understand it actually, it's just hard
  • funkycamper
    Options

I do understand it actually, it's just hard

What part of it is hard for you? Maybe some of us can help make it easier for you.