SO Depresssssssed

Options
13»

Replies

• mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't have clinical depression but I do seem to get SAD (thanks cloudy Ohio winters). One thing that has made this winter a lot better than last winter is that I started eating more fat. Fat is a nutrient and not enough seems to have bad consequences for many peoples brains. I'm not sure if you eat low fat or no fat type products to try to cut calories but I would HIGHLY suggest trying to eat more fat and see if that helps at all. I actually learned about this in a documentary and started eating more fat in the fall.. my SAD this winter has been no where as bad even with my best friend moving across the country :(

I truly hope this helps. Good luck.
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    but the real best thing right now is the knowledge that it IS temporary and that this feeling WILL pass - even though it doesn't feel like it.

This.

I also suffer from depression and also anxiety (was pretty severe several years ago, but now much better, thank goodness). Apart from the above words of wisdom, I find that forcing myself to go for a walk and listen to music on my ipod can work wonders. Maybe it's the endorphins, but it usually helps me feel at least a teeny bit better. Hugs to you and wishing you well. Feel free to add me as a friend or PM me any time.
  • kritastic
    Options
    bump.. great advice from all, when your down it feels good to know you aren't the only one
  • btpeanut
    btpeanut Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I find reading a good book in a cozy spot works.Its like taking a time out for yourself.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    To the OP and anyone else who might be interested: depression comes up so much around here, I thought I'd start a group where we can talk about what we're going through and help each other find solutions to manage our depression. Feel free to join:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2202-managing-depression
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    the best thing you can do is look at all the people who responded...that should give you some upward energy...

I know depression is a medical issue but look at the positive things in your life right now...

find your happy thought....know we care about you.....this is a great family....

read the EdDavenport post again..i have been talking to this guy for a while...he has been where you are...he is my main motivation right now...when i get down i see someone who is in a better place and just dwell on that..

\things will get better for you....

I promise

Big Bill
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've been there some days. Some days it's an effort to wash your face. If it's one of those days, make it your goal to wash your face and brush your teeth. Comb or brush your hair. If you feel you can talk yourself into doing more, by all means do it.

If you don't feel like seeing people, you don't have to. But, it's important to try to get 10 minutes of sunlight a day for Vitamin D, which is said to affect mood. Morning light is supposed to be very good, too. I don't know where I read that, but I find it helps me. I someitmes just stand outside in my driveway if I know I'll be inside most of the day, for work or because it's cold.

This may not affect you, but if anyone reading this ever feels suicidal, AT ALL, there's a nationwide toll-free number you can call to get help. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255):

Veterans can call the above number and press 1.

I googled these numbers, so if someone else has more up-to--date information, please post it.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My advice (although this will not solve all of your problems) get out of the house go workout. Tell yourself you just have to workout 10 mins. If after 10 mins you want to leave, leave. But I bet once you are out and about you will feel better and you'll stay working out.

Sorry you feel this way.
  • jpoulsen2
    jpoulsen2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Depression is actually one of the main reasons I committed to using MFP.

Exercise is apparently really good for overall mood stability because it helps release the chemicals in your system that keep you happy. Exercise is also supposed to help you develop more normal sleep patterns, and for me that really helps with depression too.

I know it's crappy to think that something you don't feel like doing (working out) is somehow magically going to up your mood, but I figure it's worth a shot. Especially good if you can do anything outside too (sunlight + fresh air =good for mood), exercise with people (running buddies?), or exercise and feel extra pleased with your accomplishments (empowering).

Just some thoughts... good luck!
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jaimec25
    Options
    Just started on here myself but I suffer from chronic depression and understand where you're coming from. I wanted to give you encouragement and let you know I'm thinking about you.

When I'm feeling really depressed, I force myself to take a shower, put on clothes I feel good in, do my make-up, etc. and most of the time that act alone helps at least boost my spirit. I also have a music playlist on my Mp3 player of upbeat songs that make me feel good, that way I don't stumble on a sad song on the radio. If you can even start with taking a walk, you may find that you can work yourself up to more. I learned in treatment that you don't have control over the first thought that pops into your head but you do have control over your what you do with it, and your next thought. So take control of your thoughts and try to turn around your "stinking thinking" as one of the therapists would say. Also, if you have a behavior modification plan, fall back on those things you said you'd do when you started feeling down and if you don't have a plan, make one when you're feeling better so you have something to fall back on. If you have a support group in your area, go to a meeting. I'm new on here so I don't know anyone yet but feel free to add me as a friend. I hope you are feeling better this afternoon!
  • MrsGreen1985
    MrsGreen1985 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This describes me to a t! I am on meds but some days - like today it feels as if there are not working.I couldn't drag myself out of bed untill 5pm (In the UK).
    And nothing I do helps. I just wanna cry ... but we have a house guest so I keep it all in.
    I live with my fiancé and even though he tries to help he just cant.I feel as though he could never understand how i feel because he is SKINNY and always has been . he doesnt understand it a struggle just getting out of bed. And at the moment I cant lose the weight which is just making it worse.

Its a battle
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I say to try to pray for strength and push yourself even if its only a little. Wishing you better days.
  • judykritikos
    Options
    While I don't have depression - my family and close friends do. I would tell my non-depressed friends the same thing as I would tell the depressed friends - you have to put one foot in front of the other, keep movign forward. Even if it's an inch.
    You know MENTALLY that this will pass. It's come and gone before, right? You know it wont' stay, right? When you're "IN" it - you can't see that or feel that - but nonetheless, it's still true. You just need to remind yourself that it won't last - just a storm you're going thru.
    Take a sheet of paper - big red marker and write: THIS TOO SHALL PASS. Put them up where you can see them - bathroom, closet door, cabinets - so you can see it. You won't FEEL it, but eventually when you keep reinforcing it to your brain - this WILL pass, just like the last time.
    People in sales aren't necessarily depressed, yet they hear NO NO NO NO NO NO all day and all night. Their depression isn't clinical, but they feel the same - can't do it any more, why bother? etc. They are told the same thing - get up, keep going, it's not YOU, this will pass, good days will come.
    We have a saying: Fake it till ya Make it. Put the GOOD clothes on, wash your hair and put make up on. Go outside - EXERCISE - get some fresh air. You could easily get into bed and stay there for hours, days or a week.
    Or
    you can get up, fake it till ya get it back - move forward, keep working out.
    This too shall pass.
    I know it must be SO hard to have this and not be able to control it. You can't - but you CAN work thru it till the sun shines again.
    :)
  • alimarieban
    Options
    I too suffer from depression and anxiety. I have days like you've mentioned and I agree with most of the other posts that you have to get out of bed and get moving! Getting up, taking a nice shower or bubble bath, and having something to do really helps me. I will usually go shopping, on a walk, or clean my house. Anything that keeps my mind busy and my body moving. Hope this helps!

Stay strong!
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    I get up and make my kids pancakes and watch them smile

or

I play tug-o-wag with my big dogs

or

I watch hgtv

anything to make me smile.....esp doing for someone else, puts a big smile on heart.

hope you feel better sweetie