Does anyone regret having had Gastric Bypass?

Options

Replies

• CherylRaymer
    Options
    I just read your post and wanted to respond since I just had the RNY Gastric Bypass 4 1/2 weeks ago. Like you, I was having an extremely difficult time trying to loose weight. I am almost 47 and can attest to the fact that weight loss gets even harder once you pass 42 yrs of age as a woman. I too suffer from PCOS and I also had/have diabetes (having been diagnosed during my pregnancy 15 yrs ago). In the last 2 years, I also developed metabolic syndrome and the diabetes became harder to manage. A few of my doctors felt that this surgery was my best hope for overcoming many of these issues. So far so good, in my first month I have dropped 26 pounds. I found the surgery was not that difficult at all and the recovery has been exactly what my doctor and the staff at Duke informed me that it would be. Surgery is never easy, but this surgery in particular has many years of proven success. I would be more than happy to discuss the process with you if you would like. It is not an easy cure, but if you are already trying to loose weight and are hitting plateaus, etc., you are already 80% of the way to understanding what is involved and expected of you after gastric surgery :) You are already trying to make those changes. The surgery just helps the process along, but YOU still have to do the work.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I was offered a gastric bypass in December 2010 and memories of major surgery for ovarian cancer 11 years before came flooding back and I decided to give it one last push to do it without surgery. And for some reason, it all clicked into place. For the first time ever I started to enjoy the gym to the point that I was nipping off work early to get there and I was working so hard that I didn't want to ruin it by eating badly. I lost 70lb by the may and had never been so fit. I have 4 friends who have all had surgery in the last year, 2 regret it and 2 don't and it's the two older ones that have the regrets so maybe it's an age thing. As it turns out, I would never have got the surgery as I was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer in June so I ended up having to recover from an entirely different surgery and chemotherapy has looked after the weightloss since. I often wonder though if subconsciously I knew something was coming as the weightloss and fitness has made the physical trauma so much easier to cope with. I suffer a bit with weakness in my legs and my mobility is not great but I dread to think what state I'd be in if I hadn't lost weight. In a wheelchair probably. Surgery is a personal choice and I admire anyone who has the nerve to do it. I certainy do nit believe it's the easy option.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I just read your post and wanted to respond since I just had the RNY Gastric Bypass 4 1/2 weeks ago. Like you, I was having an extremely difficult time trying to loose weight. I am almost 47 and can attest to the fact that weight loss gets even harder once you pass 42 yrs of age as a woman. I too suffer from PCOS and I also had/have diabetes (having been diagnosed during my pregnancy 15 yrs ago). In the last 2 years, I also developed metabolic syndrome and the diabetes became harder to manage. A few of my doctors felt that this surgery was my best hope for overcoming many of these issues. So far so good, in my first month I have dropped 26 pounds. I found the surgery was not that difficult at all and the recovery has been exactly what my doctor and the staff at Duke informed me that it would be. Surgery is never easy, but this surgery in particular has many years of proven success. I would be more than happy to discuss the process with you if you would like. It is not an easy cure, but if you are already trying to loose weight and are hitting plateaus, etc., you are already 80% of the way to understanding what is involved and expected of you after gastric surgery :) You are already trying to make those changes. The surgery just helps the process along, but YOU still have to do the work.

I am glad your recovery is going so well. But many people have multiple long term complications from gastric bypass, as well as other weight loss surgeries. Weight loss surgery is a multi-million dollar industry. And they keep the money rolling in by convincing potential clients that it's a much less risky procedure than it actually is.

While there are times when weight loss surgery is the appropriate course of action, it makes my angry when surgical weight loss centers advertise it on the media as if weight loss surgery was just like going in for a minor procedure when that is clearly not the case. One in 50 people that have a gastric bypass die within the first month from complications. I know people that decided to have weight loss surgery on account of that sort of advertising, and would give anything if they could turn back the clock and have it undone.

I would advise anyone that's considering gastric bypass to check out these websites and find out how bad the complications really can be, and not just rely on what the doctors that get rich from it say.

http://gastricbypasstruth.com/before-gastric-bypass-surgery/possible-complications-of-gastric-bypass-surgery/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/21/earlyshow/contributors/melindamurphy/main668323.shtml

http://mcdreamy.hubpages.com/hub/GastricBypassComplications

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/forums/forum54/10150.html
  • hbuffy717
    Options
    I dont regrat my bypass, lost over 200 lbs from my 2001 surgery i have gained some back so now i am counting my calorie and joining the gym tomorrow.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I did not have a gastric bypass, but know enough people that were miserable for years after the surgery that I would not recommend it to anyone.

How could you recommend something you haven't exeperience? You are going on hearsay. It is not your body or your life so let it be! Do you and let others do them!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I did not have a gastric bypass, but know enough people that were miserable for years after the surgery that I would not recommend it to anyone.

How could you recommend something you haven't exeperience? You are going on hearsay. It is not your body or your life so let it be! Do you and let others do them!

One does not have experience everything they have an opinion on. For example, I have never jumped off a 3 story building, but I know that would not be a healthy thing to do. And cutting up someone's digestive system, as they do with a gastric bypass, is not something I would recommend anyone pursue unless they were extremely large and had tried every safe weight loss approach on Earth. Some of the links I posted earlier ARE people that had gastric bypass surgery taking about their experience and the terrible ordeal some of them are still having to endure every day because they decided to have weight loss surgery.

The website at link is about real-life complications of people that had a gastric bypass.

http://gastricbypasstruth.com/131/gastric-bypass-surgery-complications-my-week-of-horror/
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    there are several posts on g-b/lap band, but here's one i started, check it out - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332328-have-you-ever-considered-gaining-weight-to-get-g-b-surgery?
  • I had 3 friends have this done, one friend almost died (needed blood transfusions and everything) another friend can't get enough Iron so needs fusions on a monthly basis and another friend gained her weight back. I'm supportive of them, and respect their weight loss (they all continues to struggle daily with the connection with food and brain). With that said, I use to get annoyed, and say "this is a cop-out for them to lose weight, why don't they just DO IT and not put their bodies through this?" and I use to have questions all the time...until I saw a documentary of a guy who weighed over 700 pounds. He could not move but restrict his diet. It's really sad to think people would make fun of him in this documentary but they did, and it's those people that have NO CLUE what it all comes down to:

FOOD IS AN ADDICTION.

Simple and as complicated as that.

Food is something that you are addicted to, the brain wants it and craves it, and when you have it you get that "high" feeling. If you are a true food addict like I am you know what I'm talking about.

With that said, I support and embrace those that did have this surgery, it's something you have to live with (whether you like it or not) the rest of your life, and I Found out by watching friends gain weight back from it that it's NOT a fix like I originally thought, they still have to work at it daily....it's temporary fix for the time being, but then like someone who did not have the surgery (like me) it's also a "work in progress' for them as well.

And I've seen people get JUDGED when told "I had gastric bypass" and have gained weight...clear example, my one friend gained ALL her weight back and some and when she said to a coworker: "I had gastric bypass" this coworker said right to her "you should be skinny then" rude as that....NOPE, non-surgeries and those who had the surgery WE ALL have to work just as hard to convince the brain that food isn't "our high" but it's something we need to give the body to fuel it....
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shariet0630
    Options
    I had surgery 5 years ago and regret nothing. I have lost 100 lbs and have kept it off. The struggle now is to maintain and loose the last 20 or so. It is a challenge to keep it off but one I do because of the way I feel from loosing it all. I have had little to no side affects, feet cramping if I do not keep up on the vitamins but other than that. It's been the best thing I could have done for myself.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Personally, I think a lot of people that have weight loss surgery would do better if they spent the money on counseling to help them with their emotional eating issues.

Having weight loss surgery does not eliminate the issues behind emotional eating, and that's why many people become so angry and depressed after they have the surgery and are no longer able to eat as they once did.
  • JulieinMaine
    Options
    I had gastric bypass almost exactly 2 months ago. I've had a couple of problems, minor ones, like figuring out how much is the right amount to eat at a meal and at first I wasnt' eating enough calories to lose any weight. However, I do not regret it at all so far, it's so worth it and I love that the weight is coming off, my diabetes is so much better than it was, my blood work is all much better than it was and it's only going to get better. I've lost 60 pounds so far and have about 65 left to go and I'm looking forward to being a normal weight for the first time in my life! Good luck.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options

One does not have experience everything they have an opinion on. For example, I have never jumped off a 3 story building, but I know that would not be a healthy thing to do. And cutting up someone's digestive system, as they do with a gastric bypass, is not something I would recommend anyone pursue unless they were extremely large and had tried every safe weight loss approach on Earth. Some of the links I posted earlier ARE people that had gastric bypass surgery taking about their experience and the terrible ordeal some of them are still having to endure every day because they decided to have weight loss surgery.

The website at link is about real-life complications of people that had a gastric bypass.

http://gastricbypasstruth.com/131/gastric-bypass-surgery-complications-my-week-of-horror/

Your opinion is just that your opinin. Obivously, your opinion has very little merit because the people you know didn't listen and had the surgery. People make decisions for what is best for them. Stop trying to be Captain Weight Loss Save A Victim! It is not your decision nor is it your life.
  • sarahwls100609
    sarahwls100609 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The first few months are awful. I regretted it everyday for six months because I was so limited in what I could eat and everything made me sick. For two months all I had was vomitting and or diarrhea since my gall bladder was removed at the same time. I have had a hell of a time from developing severe gastral esophageal reflux disease, massive adhessions blocking my small intestine which required another
    surgery to remove them, my esophagus had to be stretched and I will be on Nexium, pepcid, tums, maalox and zofran for nausea
    indefinately. Now, after i have adjusted to my new lifetyle change and have dropped 114 lbs, gone from a sz 28-30 to a sz 14 and
    my severe type 2 diabetes has completely reversed within 5 mo after as I was taking 5 insulin shots and 2,000 mg of metformin. Also, my liver was so enlarged I was facing kidney dialysis. I was in a severe car accident in which an 82 yr old man talking on his cell ran a red light and hit me broadside. It fractured my spine. I am two years post op from my GB but, it was medically neccessary
    for me to lose weight in order to have spinal surgery which is scheduled for 16 Jan. Without GB I would have died within 5 years from type 2 diabetes complications so, despite the complications I have had from weight loss surgery I would indeed recommend
    it to someone like myself whose quality of life was suffering and they just could not lose weight. I was on high blood pressure, choloesterol and depression meds so, my life is truly blessed and I am thankful for a new lease on life which my GB provided me. Best wishes to you. :flowerforyou:
  • nalfavi
    nalfavi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about creating a new topic for this question, but I figure maybe I'll ask my question here instead.

To those of you who have had, or have thought about having, the gastric bypass surgery, or even lap band, or anything alike... why? I'm not criticizing or anything, I'm just wondering.... why'd you do it? Or why do you WANT to do it? It's a TON of money, a LOT of pain, and you STILL have to diet - extremely, at that - and exercise after healing. Like I said, I'm not criticizing... I've thought about doing one of these surgeries myself at one point, then I researched and researched and found that the first few months (even a year or two!) you have to go on a pretty extreme diet, and ease your way into eating new foods.... if you could do that POST-op, why not just do it all by yourself anyway? How much do the surgeries REALLY help? And for those who have to lose some weight in order to even get the surgeries done... why not just continue to do it yourself instead of putting yourself through all that?

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai

I'm planning on having it done in a few months, and one of those that have to lose weight to have it done safely. EVERYONE has to lose weight before getting it done though, because most insurance companies require you to lose a percentage of your body weight before they okay it. Also, it decreases your fatty liver, which makes it easier and safer to move out of the way for the operation without rupturing.

I have always been the morbidly obese person, even in childhood. My highest weight was 536lbs. I have to be 450lbs to get surgery, and am currently 496lbs. I went in for it twice before in the last 6 years, but ended up choosing not to go through with it at those times as I felt I wasn't emotionally and mentally ready for that lifestyle change yet. Now, I feel I am, and can not be more excited.

Why?

Because it's my life on the line with all this weight. It's my future, my health, my future children's lives.

Can I do it on my own? Yes, I can. But I'm at the point where if I don't lose this weight quickly, I'm going to have diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, the list goes on and on. I've been extremely lucky where the only medical problems I've had are anemia (due to morbidly heavy periods), depression, anxiety
    , and the normal back pains, legs pains, hip pains, feet pains, ankle pains, etc etc. I need to get this weight off before I get anything worse, or more life threatening than being at this weight already is.

I need to lose this weight quickly so I can enjoy being young while I still am. I have never been to a party, never been to a club, never been to college, I haven't even finished high school due to my weight and depression and anxiety disorders that came with it.

I need to lose this weight quickly so I can help financially support my family instead of them supporting me. I want to fit behind the wheel of a car so I can finally get my diver's license, which I have yet to get because the seat belt wouldn't fit, or the wheel would be stuck on my stomach.

We all have different reasons for the surgery, but in the end it's because we want to be who we are inside, under this weight. We want to be healthy and active and buy clothes from normal stores. We want to be able to go to out and not be pointed at or stared at because of our weight.

The surgery is not a spur of the moment decision that we regret getting in the morning, like a bad tattoo. There is months of medical clearances, doctors visits, psychological screening, health screenings, classes, seminars, nutritionists. Doctors make sure you are emotionally and physically ready for this before they even operate on you, and follow up with you for years afterwards. As for the cost, I'm one of the lucky ones where my insurance pays for it in full, but most (good) insurances pays 70-90% of the cost these days, because they know it's cheaper to pay for the surgery than continue to pay for the medical costs related with obesity.

In the end though, it's a decision that we personally have to make, and be sure it fits our lifestyles. For me, it does. It's something that I feel is going to save my life, and I'm willing to do anything for that.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    My co-worker had gastric bypass and has done wonderfully. We have not! he has the worse gas...Not only all the time but very nasty!! If you are riding with him it will make you want to jump out of the moving car. LOL
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I don't think that anyone is arguing that weight loss surgery doesn't cause people to lose weight.

But it can have severe complications, and many people that have weight loss surgery are never able to eat even a small meal without having to worry about the painful after effects.
  • perlgrrl
    Options
    I had a gastric bypass and I don't regret it all. My surgeon that did my surgery was also awarded the center of excellence award from the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery. You should always research any surgery your going to have and ask lots of questions before you let anyone go inside and rearrange you. There are also risks with any type of surgery you may have. I wasn't limited to what I could eat for 6 months. The first 6 weeks yes I was on a special diet as my new stomach healed and readjusted itself. I eat normal food just smaller amounts than I used too eat and I take all my vitamins like i'm supposed too. My doctor has us a see a counselor the first year and a nutritionist. I feel like a teenager again since i had mine. I've lost 166lbs and never felt better. I can go to the gym, and i'm spending quality time with my daughter and having fun, not sitting on the sidelines anymore. I wish I had done this for myself way sooner!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I hope anyone considering a Gastric Bypass check out some of the Gastric Bypass Complications forums on the internet to learn about how truly awful some of the long term complications are. Yes, some people get through it without having to suffer as much as others, but there is a LOT of risk to having your digestive system surgically re-routed.

Sure, it's good to have an option like Gastric Bypass if someone weighs 400 pounds or more and can't lose any other way, but this type of surgery is being done WAY too often. Why? Because convincing people that having a gastric bypass is a good idea is a great way for WSL surgery doctors to rake in money! If they tell people they really should keep dieting and exercising instead of surgery, there's no profit in it for them. In the USA, weight loss surgery is a big business.

And that is a very sad situation.
  • bflysmile
    Options
    The whole weight loss industry is a big business, not just GBS or other WLS/procedures. Every time you join a gym or Weight Watchers, etc you are lining someone's pockets.

I am a month out and have had no complications and can eat practically anything I want, just in smaller quantities. Having said that, I researched this for 2 years. I prepared myself in every way and made sure I found a good surgeon that has psych counseling and nutritional coaching included in the practice.

I hear every day horror stories and the majority of them stem from people NOT doing their homework or following the plan. Just like everything else, it will not be successful if you don't do the work.

So to say that we are somehow not doing this ourselves is, frankly, really disrespectful! It's a tool just like a treadmill... only it's permanent.

This isn't for someone who wants to lose 20 pounds to look better - it's for people who are suffering from diseases related to excess weight. I would hope no one enters this lightly.

If we want to talk about tragic cases, let's talk about how diabetes can kill you if you do nothing!