Is pasta really that bad??

Options

Replies

• kvhmc
    kvhmc Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you did want some alternatives; gnocchi is great but is not very low on carbs. Couscous is the thing I love to eat instead of pasta :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you are not a runner or someone who does a TON of cadio - then I would not eat it very often.

I disagree. Different people process carbs in different ways. Some are more carb sensitive than others. I can easily eat pasta, bread, and whatever else is carb laden in moderation and have lost weight (and kept it off) just fine.

What I mean is - I would not eat it OFTEN due to the high calorie, high carb content of it. Punch in "Pasta" into MFP. A bowl of it is around 800 calories. Not something you should eat too much of if your looking to lose weight. I also know people who can down ice cream, eat chips/queso and Mexican food, hamburgers, and a ton of other things and still remain thin. A majority of people are not like that.

A serving of pasta is only about 200 calories (give or take depending on brand). I make a wonderful baked chicken parm with spaghetti and STILL can fit in a salad (and maybe garlic bread depending on the rest of my day). Pasta can be used in low calorie meals just find. Just watch your portions!

mmm eating pasta right now. A serving of this stuff is about three bites, though, not a bowl like the one sitting next to me, so like it or not, I'm going to have to finally get out of my chair and go for a walk today or something!
  • anon86_x
    anon86_x Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i avoid Pasta like the plague. I'll eat bread and potatoes for my carbs, avoid pasta and rice. Why? The tendency to overeat them is massive, I find the portion size of pasta and rice is really difficult.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you are not a runner or someone who does a TON of cadio - then I would not eat it very often.

I disagree. Different people process carbs in different ways. Some are more carb sensitive than others. I can easily eat pasta, bread, and whatever else is carb laden in moderation and have lost weight (and kept it off) just fine.

What I mean is - I would not eat it OFTEN due to the high calorie, high carb content of it. Punch in "Pasta" into MFP. A bowl of it is around 800 calories. Not something you should eat too much of if your looking to lose weight. I also know people who can down ice cream, eat chips/queso and Mexican food, hamburgers, and a ton of other things and still remain thin. A majority of people are not like that.

a serving of the wheat pasta is 200 calories, put the fresh garlic and olive oil and it's about 300.....Definitely eat pasta, it's a healthy food and the carbs are 41..... Pasta gets a bad rap, and it shouldn't.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    for those who think a serving is small, 2oz of uncooked pasta and 1 grilled chicken breast is a great meal, and it's like 350-400 calories. I think 2 ounces of wheat pasta is a good size for a lunch or dinner and add another side.
  • tiaait95
    Options
    I weigh it out before I cook it and have 70-100g depending on how I feel. As much as I want I don't see myself staying away from carbs and eat them at all 3 meals a day. Mainly because it's what my mum cooks but also because they are filling. I don't want to become a problem by eating different to others in my house so I just weigh all my foods and avoid takeouts, chocolate, crisps(or chips) and sweets. I have lost 9 lbs in just over a week but am over 200lbs. I'm going to the gym as well as doing PE and extra curriculum activities so hope having a 1,500 calorie day with this will help weightloss and I will try to cut having pasta to 2/3 times a week. Thanks
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    for those who think a serving is small, 2oz of uncooked pasta and 1 grilled chicken breast is a great meal, and it's like 350-400 calories. I think 2 ounces of wheat pasta is a good size for a lunch or dinner and add another side.

If you think it is small try angel hair pasta :D it makes a bigger looking serving and lasts a bit longer when you eat it :]
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I find pasta by itself not particularly filling for the amount of calories it has, but when I have it I add vegetables and herbs and spices so it's more flavoured veges with pasta garnish.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No. I have pasta pretty much every day in some form and I always have - it's white pasta too! *gasp!* I can't get enough of the stuff.
    I've lost weight, I've gained weight, and have to say it really is just calories in vs calories out. Everything in moderation :smile:

The difference between me before MFP, and after MFP is that when I was still living at home a few years ago I used to have 200g (7oz) of "dry weight" pasta for my main meal. A serving size is 75g approx.
    The reason why I used to weigh it was not because I cared about calories but more because I wanted as much as I could fit on the plate (large steak plate) without it overflowing, and I knew exactly how much that was and I wasn't having any less!

Now I have the regular serving size. I can go up to 100g sometimes for things like macaroni cheese which seem like nothing on a regular serving (I love that stuff!) but never more than that. I actually get full now! haha
  • gigglepiggle
    gigglepiggle Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't want to become a problem by eating different to others in my house so I just weigh all my foods and avoid takeouts, chocolate, crisps(or chips) and sweets

This sounds really similar to me, I have a seven year old and I don't want her to grow up thinking certain foods are bad and she can't have them, just that they have to be eaten in moderation. We're practicing eating more of the healthier foods together rather than me dieting and cutting out everything tasty
  • Dejavu79
    Dejavu79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Spaghetti squash? Its amazing, and lower in carbs than pasta!
  • ziplock9000
    ziplock9000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a man's typical beer belly, which apparently on me is mostly visceral fat rather than the less worrying kind that is just under the skin that makes a belly hang. mine tends to stick out instead!

Anyhoo.. I've been looking and apparently reducing pasta is a good way to combat visceral fat?
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I eat low/moderate carb and have pasta. I just don't eat half a pound of it every other day like I did once upon a time. A quick easy dinner for me is a serving of pasta & a bag of steamed veggies.
  • Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Pastas not bad, nope, never ever....unless you have specific medical reasons then eat'a the pasta :0)
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's "bad" because it's low nutrition and relatively high calorie. It's also really easy to overeat (a cup of pasta or rice isn't very much at all!). I know a meal doesn't seem that satisfying without some sort of starch when you're used to it but try to lower the pasta and increase the leafy vegetables in your lunch. You don't have to cut out the pasta completely but your goal should be to minimize that stuff and eat more nutrient dense food (which are in veg). Fortunately, the most nutrient dense foods are also the lowest calorie.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    This is crazy !!.....Of course it's NOT bad (otherwise there wouldn't be so many Italians!!).... very few things are.. Eating too much (of anything) is bad, that's all.

Learn PORTION control, eat less and move more FFS.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta almost every day, but I just make sure it's within my calories.
  • changergirl
    changergirl Posts: 81
    Options
    I have a giant bowl of pasta once a week and it's usually less than 500 calories. 50 grams of whole wheat pasta, 300+ grams of veggies, normally broccoli, zuchinni, carrots, cabbage and bell peppers, 100+ grams of chicken breast and 2-4 tbs of a low calorie vinegarette. It is delicious, filling and full of carbs and protein. So no pasta isn't bad as long as you're having the correct amount.
  • Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's "bad" because it's low nutrition and relatively high calorie. It's also really easy to overeat (a cup of pasta or rice isn't very much at all!). I know a meal doesn't seem that satisfying without some sort of starch when you're used to it but try to lower the pasta and increase the leafy vegetables in your lunch. You don't have to cut out the pasta completely but your goal should be to minimize that stuff and eat more nutrient dense food (which are in veg). Fortunately, the most nutrient dense foods are also the lowest calorie.

No it's not bad.

Over eating can be bad if it knocks your allowance out.

Pasta is good. Super good. Amazingly good...
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What about it is good for your health? Yes, it tastes good but it's rather calorie dense and will spike your insulin quite dramatically. It's also difficult to eat in a small portion for most people and is usually coupled with fat/and or sugar which is an evil combo for fat loss.