WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• shmogo9
    shmogo9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yeah Me lol - I finally found the second page :happy: after I lost my previous post though :grumble:

@ yellowrose532 - thanks for the info regarding changing the amounts - didn't know you could do that. Now figuring out how to do it might be a challenge but I love a good challenge.

@msh0530 - 25 mph winds and -5 wind chill? that's nothing for us in WINTERpeg lol - we're at -20 right now with winds gusting to 60kmh and our wind chill is something like -37 .... and the begining of the week was +5 ! I can't keep up with the climate this year!

This is day 12 for me and I've been on everyday and logged EVERYTHING that's passed my lips for the first time in two years! I'm enjoying this site - wish I had found it earlier :wink: could have saved me the 42lbs I put back on this year. Having an iPhone now and the app on there makes it alot easier to stay on track too!

I'm limited as to the exercising I can do because of my knees but I am doing what I can - slowly but surely - I WILL get there again! I have a wedding in March and would like to be comfortable in my own skin again. And hopefully will be going to Victoria this summer to see my parents and the rest of the family that I haven't seen in a couple of years so I WILL BE thinner by then for sure! I'm hoping to go back to the gym soon - I've been paying my dues for over a year now and not gone once! What a waste of money and NO I don't have it to burn lol...

A big THANK YOU to everybody here - I love MFP and this group! :heart:
  • kleinbuenstorf
    Options
    Hello everybody!!
    What a great day !!! Beautiful sunshine, but very cold (33) with a strong north wind !! Yesterday we had a hi of 65 !!! Well, that's Texas for you!!:happy:
    Today I reached the 50 mile marker of my " 100 miles in January " challenge :happy: and it feels GREAT!!
    The scale showed me another pound down, too !!:smile:
    And this afternoon I'll be rejoining my Yoga group which I have missed dearly!!

Wishing everyone a wonderful day, :flowerforyou:
    Desiree
  • RENEEPP
    Options
    Hi from NW Washington! I just found this site andI am so excited! I have tried and given up so many times. But I am back at it. I love this site and the program and promised myself I will document EVERFYTHING I eat, not kick myself if i mess up and continue to work out 3 x a week. and of course long in here for support. Nice meeting everyone. :smile:
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    This is my second day posting. I couldn't find my post yesterday, but it is okay...I love reading all of the support that we have here. I was under my calorie goal, but, I also wasn't hungry 3 hours before I was ready for bed. That has NEVER happened in my recent memory...and it is a good feeling. The other good thing is my husband is participating in 'my way of eating' because I prepare his lunch and dinner...welll he BBQ'd hamburgers yesterday, and I prepared the Veggies. No potatoes, no rice, no bread!! It was a GOOD feeling. Also, I don't nag him (like I used to)...and over the past two weeks...he lost 10 lbs...I just saw his poor belly getting bigger and bigger, and here I was taking care of myself...thought he should get some education and good eating, too. :laugh:

Anyway, looking forward to posting and getting to know everyone as much as I am able.

My new Motto is taken from Abbott and Costello's comedy "Slowly I turn, step by step, inch by inch"...:laugh: I LOVE laughing...and I find myself smiling a lot when I am here.

Good Health and a GREAT day to all,
    Debbie
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

My goodness, we are a chatty group, aren't we??? Already Part II and we are only the 12th of the month, I bet we will need a Part III before the end of the month :laugh:

My stepsister/best friend was in a bad accident yesterday - she is basically okay - but her car is a write off; she hit a deer. She is very upset about it. The poor creature just jumped out of the ditch and ran in front of her and where she lives if very rural but she was very upset about killing the deer. She said today she is sore from her head to her toes because she was shaken so hard in the car from the impact. Very unfortunate :cry:

Pam - By the by, thanks for the info on posting the notes, it has been so helpful :flowerforyou:

Sally - You are doing so well :drinker:

Robin - Thanks for posting the stories of the pups, I love reading them. We have no pets at home as I am allergic to dogs, but your stories are so cute :laugh:

Sissy - Welcome back. Your travels sound amazing, what an adventure :smile:

Amanda - You have come so far. Yoo Hoo :drinker: :drinker:

Lavendergirl - So sorry about the loss of your friend; the first anniversay is always the hardest :flowerforyou:

genealace - make sure you take care of yourself with all that wicked weather coming your way :smile:

Susan - I sure hope your mouth feels better soon :flowerforyou:

Desiree - Wow, you are walking an incredible amount :noway:

Virginia - You will lose again soon, I am sure of it :smile:

To all the others Ladies who have had losses that I have missed, Congrats :drinker:

To the Newcomers, Welcome. It will be great getting to know you.

I am with a miserable migraine again (it is raining) so I am gad my work day is almost done, but I can tell my commute will be nasty (it took me an extra 1/2 to get here this morning) as the radio is already talking about problems on the roadways :grumble:

Anyway, My Friends. Take care of yourselves and I will talk to you again soon.

Love, Cathy xx
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just back from my hospital appointment. Got there at 12:;45 -just got home! Driving there was a bit scary, doctor is quite nice and has put me on some new meds - an injection every 6 months instead of taking pills every week. Wants me to stop taking another supplement he had recommended until we know more about how the injection med is working - fine by me because it was awkward as it had to be 2hours after and 2 hours before food and I don't have a 4-hour window to fit it into, so I've been taking it in the middle of the night when I get up to use the littlest room.

Driving home was even more scary as a lot more snow had fallen along with ice pellets. Had to scrape off the car before I could leave the hospital. Have decided that I'm not going to either of the things I had lined up for tonight. There have been about 60 or 70 accidents already today.
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    wow Virginia you are doing GREAT!! what an inspiration you are. wishing everyone a "successful" week.
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Checked my e-mails and the lace group meeting has been cancelled due to the state of the roads and the knitting group the same, although there are 2-3 people who work downtown and walk to and from home, so are going to stop by to meet up with the other.

Glad I had made the decision not to go, now I'm feeling vindicated that my decision was the correct one. Yea for me!

Have to stir out again tomorrow to get my front tooth repaired - I broke it the other day - thought I had a piece of food stuck and when I used the dental floss what fell out was a piece of tooth instead.

It is still supposed to go on snowing and we are to be hit by another wave of this 2-pronged storm tomorrow.
  • magnolia1962
    Options
    Holy Moly ... It's a crazy busy day ... I'm bumping so I'll find you all later.

thursday_018.gif
  • mistykorea
    Options
    Hello from sunny Southern California...hoping to connect with ladies who just can't lose weight even with healthy diet and regular exercises. Thank you!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Its been a cold, clear windy day in West Texas. It was only 22 degrees mid-morning when we left the house. On days like this, folks round here are fond of saying, "There ain't nothin' 'tween here and the North Pole 'cept a barbed wire fence - and it's down."

Today is the first day in a long, loooong time I woke up feeling even the least bit energetic. I think this cleanse is doing its magic.

My girlie shopping day went well. Not only did we do lots of walking (only half of which I logged as exercise) but I ate a veggie plate for lunch so was able to stick with my eating plan. The yeast rolls she was eating looked and smelled mighty good, but because I didn't succumb to even one bite I was fine. My splurge was squash casserole which I know has some kind of breading in it.

I've gotten used to using evoo instead of butter on all my veggies so I had to buy another big bottle of that on the way home today. Seems like I use loads of beans, onions and garlic too... Been trying to really read labels and shy away from things with flavor enhancers and other chemicals. Labels can sure be deceiving! Did you know according to the FDA for a product to be labeled whole grain it only has to be at least 51% whole grain? Shouldn't that be half-grain!

Hubby is working late so I am only cooking for one tonight. Think I'll just make myself a berry smoothie and call it good.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Virginia, it is very possible to be stalled for awhile before losing the last four pounds, but never, never, never give up

:bigsmile: Pam, I’m glad your birthday went well and that you didn’t spoil it with out of control eating.

:bigsmile: Robin, my heart is melting just reading about Ritter and Bodi together

:flowerforyou: Genealace, I remember on a bad snowy day here, my line dance teacher called and told us she’d cancelled class because “we’re retired and don’t have to go out on the roads” but I always miss my classes when the snow and ice keep them from happening.

:flowerforyou: Sissy, I know how you feel, I hate to throw food away and have been known to eat some terrible food because of that………however, for the last two years we’ve kept most bad food out of the house.

:bigsmile: Shmogo, there are lots of ways to exercise that don’t do bad stuff to your knees….yoga and some dumbbell and resistance bands exercises would work well.

:bigsmile: Desiree, congrats on your success with weight loss and miles completed

:bigsmile: Debbie, my husband is participating with me too. He is good at planning meals with me and does yoga with me a few times a week.

:cry: Cathy, sorry to hear about your headache

:bigsmile: SuzyQ, congratulations on eating healthy with your non-healthy eating friend,

:bigsmile: Our new neighborhood has a small fitness room and I finally checked it out today. The treadmill is noisy and somewhat antiquated, but if I set it on a high incline, I can raise my heart rate pretty high. There’s also a weight bench and a barbell with weights that I can bench press, so now I have some new stuff to add to my fitness routine.

:bigsmile: Hubby went out to eat and brought me back half of his sweet potato fries----they were yummy and too many calories

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Glad I found part 2.Think I got lost in part 1.Snowy day here.Windy,cold.The kids are sure to enjoy the 1st real snow of the year.My 3 1/2 year old grand daughter couldn`t wait to play in it.
    congrat`s to all that have lost wt so far.also to anyone who has made a commitment to loose and change your habits.
    This could be a great year for all of us.
    Have a good night!
    HUGS
    jane:drinker:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good evening all....had another great day with food and my workouts(spinning and weights)had over 700calorie burn, according to my HRM....though i felt a bit off a the day went on , dont know if i might be getting a bug, hope not....well have a great night all:flowerforyou:

@susanpv.....sorry to hear about your dental surgery hope you get well soon...sounds like DH is taking very good care of you

@patchworkpers....hope you get back soon, but remember baby steps, add up to big steps..

@vypeters....that soreness is a great feeling....what a sucess you have had...dont get discouraged

@jb_2011,,,that recipes sounds awesome looking forward to trying it thanks

@rjadams.....i also love the ritter and bodi stories please keep sharing..

@laura80111,,...i can see where having a house husband could be very beneficial..hope you start your workouts soon...

@genealace....sorry about the weather causing your activities to cancel, but better safe than sorry....glad your students moms is better...wow!!60 or 70 accidents, if you have to drive please be carefull

@sissygok...welcome back and your cruise sounds fantastic

@shmogo9....happy day 12....would biking be something that you could do...i love your positive attitude..

@kleinbuenstor.....wonderful, good for you on getting half to your goal

@reneepp...welcome....great that you dont give up...good luck

@delilang.....how great that both you and your husband are doing this together....

@cathys01....so sorry about your step-sister, i wish her a speedy recovery....sorry hear you are suffering with migranines again.

@mistykorea...welcome and good luck

@ahealthiersuz...what great self control, good for you and keeping to your plan, and you had a wonderful time....

@barbiecat....sweet potatoe fries, YUMMY..happy you have some new gadgets to add to your routine..

@jane...i am sure your granddaughter had a lovely time, as i am sure you did watching her
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Just touching base. Did a gentle 2 mile Walk Away the Pounds and some toning.

Today I did something silly and fun: ordered Richard Simmons' "Sweatin' to the Oldies" DVD set, the old original one from the 80's, but it's available on DVD. I got it because I remember it being incredibly fun to do. Then I did some research on Livestrong and a couple other sites and they say a 185 lb person can burn 625+ calories doing the routines. I'm just under 180 but it still should be around 600.

How cool is that? "Sweatin' to the Oldies"! Memory lane, here I come. They should be here Friday.

Shmogo9 - Good for you for logging so faithfully. I found logging faithfully not only keeps me honest it keeps me from eating the wrong things because I don't want to put them in the log! And I love the iPhone app.

kleinbuenstor - 50 miles?!?!?! That is awesome. Way to go!

cathys01 - so sorry about your stepsister's accident. Glad she's OK. She probably will be stiff for a few days. {{Hugs}} and hope your migraine is better by now.

genealace - sounds like home is the place to be in that weather! Stay warm.

barbiecat - not giving up! So far my stalls have always broken, so just keeping on doing what I'm doing. The weight will come off sooner or later!

Tomorrow is Friday the 13th. Hope y'all aren't superstitious!

Virginia
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

Quick check in. I made it to the gym tonite...I'm happy....2 nites in a row! It is sooooo much easier going on the way home from work. :bigsmile:

Nancy...you are so right. It's been along time since I walked in the door after work in such a good, relaxed mood.

Jb...that recipe sounds awesome. I'll be checking out that site in just a few.

Msh...I think you're weather is headed our way. That's our forecast here in New "Joisey". Not looking forward to it....I don't like cold n wind.

Cathy...I might have mentioned this before...but maybe not. Eric gets migraines occasionally. He soaks in a warm tub with eucalyptus essential oil. It really helps.

Robin....We've been thinking about getting a sister for Hershey (don't know why, but we always have girl dogs). She'll be 2 in March. Every time I read about Ritter and Bodi, I'm ready start looking for another pup. Did you have any worries that the dogs wouldn't get along? Hershey is very playful and good natured...but it would totally upset me if the girls didn't get along. Maybe I'm worrying too much....I so have a tendency to do that!

Everyone have a great Friday...I am happy that it's here again.
    Work is gearing up with some major projects...I may not have many more full weekends off in the near future. :frown:

Rita
  • uts52
    uts52 Posts: 13
    Options
    I am glad there is someone who has a similar problem.
    I love to exercise and miss it if I don't- cranky, guilty- I exercise 1 hr every day. eat right- vegetarian, count calories. wt does not come off. Oh well happy that i am healthy.

came home, cooked dinner. planned on running but it was dark and cold ( sorry 40 is cold for me, i am originally from India, anything<75 is cold! don't laugh ladies)

went to the gym, ran on the treadmill for 60 mts(!!!!!) I hated it but had to do it. snacked too much while making dinner- pure stress relief!. and thank god for the TV attached to the treadmill. keeps my mind away from the boring run.

had dinner. still have another 160 cal . Thinking about what to eat. ran out of cottage cheese. will see

Do you girls add your exercise cal to your BMR and eat less than that total. My BMR is 1200, exercise if about 400. so do eat 1100 cal to loose 1 lb/wk? seems so little. yet i am not loosing!! sob! sob !sigh !sigh!

feel so deprived with all this measuring and counting
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Nancy - as much as I love my husband, I, too, look forward to time just to myself. It used to be that when he was working and he'd go away on a business trip, at times I would say "why are you home so soon, there's more that I want to get done". Now that he's retired, I very rarely get time alone in the house. Oh, I get time alone (that's one reason I go to the gym). In one sense I look forward to when he goes to the shooting range with the Newcomers. I don't go, so that's my night(s) alone. Only there aren't enough of them. Yes, I do love my husband, but I also love time to just do what I want (like soak in the tub or watch TV). Enjoy that coffee shop. Just remember -- you don't have to do the dishes, either!

Did Bob Harper's Pure Burn Super Strength DVD today. There were a few exercises that I haven't done in a while. Tomorrow...water aerobics.

genalace - I tried many of the osteoporosis drugs, and the only one that's sort-of helping is the reclast. Maybe because it goes directly into the bloodstream. Which drug are you on? Forteo? No, that's a daily injectable drug. Can you inject the drug yourself or do you have to go to the MD office each time? I know at one time the MD put me on calcitonin. It really wasn't helping so I just stopped it. The nurse tried to talk me out of it, but my tests showed that it really wasn't helping the bones and I had no idea what it was doing to my nasal passages, so I just stopped it. Not to mention the money it saved me. You stay safe, you hear.

mistykorea - welcome! Are you from Korea? My son taught English in South Korea.

After doing the DVD, went to my crochet class. The lady who runs it wasn't there. She's a bit sickly, but likes to do this. Afterwards, came home and helped Vince start to put away the Christmas decorations. We'd already taken down the outside decorations. The weather was real nice for a few days so we got them down. Today it was mainly putting them away. We're starting to get the inside decorations down. Started on the tree today.

Tomorrow at noon there is a healthy cooking demonstration which I'll go to (I'll just skip mahjongg). That reminds me, there was an evening mahjongg tonight. Well, I really don't care for mahjongg in the evening, I'd rather do something "fun", not something that I have to really concentrate on. then at 2 we take Bonnie to the vet just so he can check on her incision, which is healing nicely. Vince checked it tonight, and in places it's all healed.

Susan - which flavor of the Chobani did you get? I like it, but I always get the plain and add a bit of honey.

Suz - Glad you had a good time on your shopping trip! I got this magazine "Eat Well Lose Weight" Anyway, in one of the articles it talks about different apps you can get. One that they recommend is called "food additive" They like it because it provides info about more than 450 food additives, including what each additive is used for, how it's made, and potential side effects. It's supported by the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, It costs $3.99. Don't know if you can use this but I thought you might be interested if you can.

Robin - love reading all about Bodi and Ritter. So happy they're getting along so well.

Renee - welcome, welcome, welcome

Debbie - love your motto!!!!!!

cathy - so sorrry about your stepsister. Deer can do very bad things

shmogo - water aerobics won't harm your knees if it's in the deep end. If it's in the shallow, there's going to be some impact, but not nearly as much as if it were on land

Rita - I can understand your feeling about wanting to be sure the dogs get along. Vince and I volunteer at the Humane Society here. They will let you foster a dog and if they don't get along, then you can return the dog to them. If they do get along, you can adopt that dog.

uts - I'm about the same way, I almost feel like something's missing if I don't exercise daily. Most of the Newcomers like to do things like play board games or card games. I like games, but I would really prefer to be doing something where I'm moving. Which is one of the reasons I'm on the bowling league.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • kckramp
    kckramp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It is great reading posts from everyone. You are all so supportive and have a lot of great advice. It is amazing what so many wise women can come up with. I have made it to day 6 of the 30 day shred. So far so good. I am very excited all 4 of my children will be here this weekend. My youngest is closing on a house tomorrow and with the three day weekend everyone is coming to help him move and celebrate his birthday a week early. I will have to make an extra effort to get my exercise in with extra people at the house, but this is a good problem.
    One more day of school and then a long weekend with family. Love it
    KC
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :smile: I want to go see the movie "the Iron Lady". On the other hand, I just wanted to post something so I could find y'all back :wink: :bigsmile:

Off on a Mexican vacation for a while! Woohoo

:heart: Rebel