average fashion model VS plus-size *pics*

Options

Replies

• mary_kate23
    Options
    I'm honestly kind of torn on this topic. While I don't want to see the sickly thin models, I also don't want plus sized models making me feel 'okay' about being overweight and unhealthy. Yes I should be confident and value my self-worth at any size, but I should also strive to take care of my body and nourish it properly.

*shrugs*

(Edit for spelling)

To add: I think that women of ALL sizes should be in modeling, because it should be more about encouraging confidence and love of oneself, than a pair of skinny jeans...

^^what you said.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

- Twenty years ago the average fashion model weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23% less.

Is this because the models are getting thinner or because the "average woman" is getting bigger? Probably a little of both, but since our country has been getting fatter as a whole, I would assume it's probably the latter more than the former.
    Even with the average woman getting heavier, they haven't gotten 15% heavier in the last 20 years... more like 5% heavier, which would still have the average fashion model now weighing about 18% less than the average woman 20 years ago.

That being said, Size 00 fashion models are not healthy, but most women are not healthy at a Size 18 either. I didn't have obesity related health problems when I was significantly overweight, but I was placing undue stress on my joints and was at risk of developing diabetes and high blood pressure and cholesterol.
    A healthy weight and size varies greatly - but it would probably be right around the middle of what standard fashion models are vs. what plus sized fashion models are - probably between a 6-12 or maybe 14.
  • littlevoices
    Options
    I want to see size 12 models. I want to know that when I reach my goal weight, I can look just as sexy as Kasia does in these photos. I'll never be rail thin, and I never want to be. Long live gorgeous curves!
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a happy/healthy medium? Neither extreme is healthy.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think they both look unhealthy. You have both ends of the spectrum here. One is underweight and the other is overweight. To use them as models period promotes an unhealthy image.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on what kinda models your talking about.

look at the victoria secret models.. wow.. they look amazing.

but plus size... that just looks bad.

i live in Houston. EVERYONE is fat. and by fat i mean morbidly obese, including small children.
  • trudy45
    trudy45 Posts: 83
    Options
    I am sorry I hate that "plus size" model, I would hardly say she is a big woman, I would say she just a normal size and a healthy woman! why cant a model just be a model?

I want to see normal size women, with curves, not stick insects and not women that are so overweight that it is unhealthy! we need to get a happy medium :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Why do fat guys never glamorize fat male models?
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's not as simple as it sounds. Firstly, most models are 5'9" or taller. Us tall girls carry our weight in a myriad of ways. Tall girls can be a size 4 and still be in their healthy weight range. Similarly, tall girls can be a size 12 and be within their healthy weight range. That is a big margin, but it is true for us tall girls. Thus, a "plus-sized" model is not necessarily an unhealthy or overweight model. She does not necessarily have a gut. She is not necessarily flabby. Having more "plus-sized" models does not necessarily equate promoting unhealthy and unfit lifestyles.
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    "The majority of plus-size models on agency boards are between a size 6 and 14, while the customers continue to express their dissatisfaction."

I think it's bad when a size as small as a 6 is considered a plus size---only in the modeling business.

"- Most runway models meet the Body Mass Index physical criteria for Anorexia."

This is scary and I think it sets up young women to have unrealistic body image standards.

"- 50% of women wear a size 14 or larger, but most standard clothing outlets cater to sizes 14 or smaller."

Sooo not fair!!!! People of all sizes and weights deserve access to clothes and fashion--just another example of how society devalues people based on appearance, by not providing them with the equal goods and services.
    [/quote]
  • likeaphoenix28
    Options
    I think this plus sized model is beautiful and sexy.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I used to be the store manager at a plus size clothing store and our 'plus size' mannequins were actually a size 6. We used to have to pin the clothes back and then customers would wonder why things never looked as good on them as they did on the mannequins. That was as big as the mannequins would come (at the time) but I think they're up to a size 10 now.
    [/quote]

Me too! I worked at Lane Bryant and the mannequins were tiny. I asked recently when I went in there because my BF was like 'they don't even have plus size mannequins!'. I told him I say it's a 12 and we bet on it. They are a size 14 now.
  • tcmay72
    tcmay72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow want to show my girls these pics. I wish we lived in a more real world:0)
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    http://www.byroncrawford.com/2010/01/would-you-bang-a-plussize-model.html

This website is a good comparison too. Just found it while googling plus size models images.
  • crixmix
    crixmix Posts: 30
    Options

- Twenty years ago the average fashion model weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23% less.

Is this because the models are getting thinner or because the "average woman" is getting bigger? Probably a little of both, but since our country has been getting fatter as a whole, I would assume it's probably the latter more than the former.

Agreed. A size 12 used to mean a 26 inch waist ( ie: Marilyn Monroe), and now a size 12 is a 31-36 size waist depending on where you shop. Vanity sizing is an entirely different topic though.

My thoughts are, fashion models are too thin. Glorifying a size on the opposite side of the spectrum is equally wrong. The fashion industry isn't in the healt industry, though.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the industry of stick-thin models OR over size 14 models... I think they both promote an unhealthy lifestyle (although not all size 00 or size 20 girls have problems with food or health)

I don't think being obese is okay and we shouldn't pretend that it is. I hate the "fat acceptance" movement because I think it's as dangerous as the "pro-ana" movement. We should be promoting images of good health.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I have to agree with him...

I'm all for loving yourself but I disagree with the whole big is beautfiul campaign...first time I've said that on MFP.
    I think it's coddling women and taking away personal responsibility for health

Unless you have a medical condition that is beyond your control, IMO it's not ok to be too big or too thin
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    to me the point is that society tells us to be beautiful you HAVE to be super stick thin..... and to me super stick thin is not beautiful.... I think everyone is beautiful, but you should strive to be a healthy weight for you (which does vary from person to person).... I know that even though I carry a bit more weight than other folks, I am in far better shape and take better care of myself. Thin doesn't necessarily equal healthy and we should be striving for healthy, not skinny.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I think they both look unhealthy. You have both ends of the spectrum here. One is underweight and the other is overweight. To use them as models period promotes an unhealthy image.

I'm sorry, but you are WRONG! That "plus-sized" model looks like I look when I am in my healthy weight range (5'10" 170ish Size 8/10). She is not anywhere near overweight!. She could do a bit more toning, but she is not overweight by any means.

It's crap like this that makes average healthy women into people with eating disorders!
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    For the poster who said she was unsure if size 18 was unhealthy or not. I was a size 18 and aside from not liking my body I was never sickly or rendered inactive becasue of it.Not to say some people aren't at that size. I think it is difficult to really pinpoint the point that you get " unhealthy". By all medical standards I was obese and even though I have dropped 30lbs I still am however I know I am healthy ( and by healthy I mean like I said no medical problems what so ever or body problems due to my weight).

In the fashion industry that ultra thin look is considered beautiful or fashionable like a blank canvas. A lot of designers have said they just don't want plus size girls wearing their cloths. They want the cloths to look a certain way and they wont on a larger body so they refuse to use larger girls. These smaller girls have gotten to the point though where they look and sometimes are anorexic and it is scarey that the industry as a whole sees no problem with the message that it sends or what it even does to their models. Ideally they would all use average people of all body types.I mean even unhealthy heavy or small people need cloths too right? Unfortunately that is not going to happen until it becomes the new " it" thing.