Low Carb Eating

Options
I'm almost through my first week of eating low carb. It's been relatively easy but it does take a lot of self control and fair amount to planning. I'm going through the carb "withdrawal": grumpiness, fatigue, lack of concentration, etc. It hasn't been too bad, but I have noticed a difference. The biggest difference I've noticed is that the length of my cardio workouts have decreased. I was doing 30 to 35 min on the elliptical at 5.5mph, but now I'm down to 20 min at 5.0 mph and I'm DEAD! My boyfriend (a runner) said it's because my body is adjusting to not having carbs to use for energy. I haven't built up the enzymes that burn fat yet, and until I do....my cardio will continue to be slow and harder than usual.

Have any other low carb eaters experienced this?

Replies

• bethanylaugh
    Options
    Definitely! you'll get over it and you'll start feeling great, and then eventually you can work back to 20-30% carbs with the same fat burning efficiency. Be aware that you might experience some changes in your intestines & bowels for a week or 2 also!!
  • alishuman
    Options
    Yes. And I don't like it, lol. I feel pretty much exhausted at the moment, and my workout was less than stellar.

Also, the other night we decided to get a pizza, and I did have a slice, tracked it, adn supplemented with fresh veggies... But the next day after eating it, I was sooooo cranky and irritable. Now that I'm back on track, I feel cheerful again. So, I think little splurges like that, even when they fall within my calorie goals, are going to be a "no" for me for a while.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs in the morning and decrease the amount per each meal so I plan my workouts in the morning and do really good with them, but by about 3:00 I am dragging!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Yes there is an adaptive phase, but it's not going to make any difference for fat loss.....it's still cals in vs out.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am relatively low carb and yes, it's really tough at first. Consider upping your (healthy) fat intake for the added energy. (fat does not make you fat, I promise!) I have been eating fairly high amounts of protein + fat and haven't noticed any lack in energy or stamina. Good luck!
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I'm on my second week. I only had withdrawls the first few days. I have done low carb before but I have been a little stricter this time because I am only staying on it for 6 weeks. I noticed I have a lot more energy if i make sure I get veggies in every meal!. I make omletes for breakfast and load it with onion, green peppers, and mushrooms! I usually have a large salad with my lunch and either annother salad for dinner or a steamed veggie- like broccoli. Good luck! You can do it!
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    How many g do you consider to be low carb?

And yes, I have experienced this in the past moody etc. It will pass soon!
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    How low are your carbs?
    I just lowered mine (NOT Atkins low by ANY means, but much lower for me) last Sat and have noticed the EXACT same thing while working out. Normally I am running anywhere from 30-45 mins, yesterday I thought I was going to drop DEAD at the 15 min mark. Also almost didnt make it through my strengh training.
    Glad to hear this is a little normal and will adjust itself. About how long does it take to get back to normal energy levels?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm almost through my first week of eating low carb. It's been relatively easy but it does take a lot of self control and fair amount to planning. I'm going through the carb "withdrawal": grumpiness, fatigue, lack of concentration, etc. It hasn't been too bad, but I have noticed a difference. The biggest difference I've noticed is that the length of my cardio workouts have decreased. I was doing 30 to 35 min on the elliptical at 5.5mph, but now I'm down to 20 min at 5.0 mph and I'm DEAD! My boyfriend (a runner) said it's because my body is adjusting to not having carbs to use for energy. I haven't built up the enzymes that burn fat yet, and until I do....my cardio will continue to be slow and harder than usual.

Have any other low carb eaters experienced this?
    I am in week 7, and it's hard on the energy, and mine is not a strict carb diet, so I can only imagine how you're feeling.
    One more week, then I am easing back into normal eating.

But the results have been steady.
    I am ALMOST in 34 pants - not quite, and after a month of maintenance, I will hit it hard again.

Just keep thinking of your goals, and push through.

All Is Possible.
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bumping-- getting ready to start this style of eating next week
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    About working out. Its really hard to have a long steady workout while low carb dieting. Your energy stores are used up very quickly. Thats why low carb is typically ideal for strength trainers and and for short high impact exercise. But if you keep at it I noticed that your body will adjust to the exercising and it gets better.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I eat a cup of oatmeal about a half hour before working out. It really helps.

I do low carbs, but I do eat some. Always whole grain though. And small portions.
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    Low carb eater for more than 3 years with lot's of energy!!

15229096.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It'll take about a week for your body to adjust.
  • cgavin77
    Options
    It'll take about a week for your body to adjust.

Thanks! I will be looking forward to that.
    HOPING to see some changes in my body from lowering the carbs and upping some GOOD fats. I hate to think Im giving up my Friday pizza all for nothing! hahhaah
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut carbs out totally. I make a yogurt and berry smoothie every AM for breakfast. I eat vegetables at lunch, dinner, and snack time. I eat some brown rice as part of one meal as well.

I am staying away from white breads, pasta, cookies, chips, white rice, potatoes, etc. Basically anything white and starchy. I've never been a pop drinker, so I don't have to worry about that.

I know that I need to eat more healthy fat, but it's hard after 30 years of hearing "fat is bad for you"!!

While I adjust to burning fat instead of carbs I'm concentrating on my strength training instead of my cardio.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am several months in. It's just the way I eat now. No big deal.

There is truth in calories in and calories out, but most people do not take into account the inefficency of burning ketones vs glucose. Ketobodies have fewer available calories by weight than fat, so it takes more to yield the same number of burnable calories. That is why low carb dieting is so fast. Often faster than fasting, which your body will go after muscle tissue first.

I feel great, training for my first triathlon. I have more energy than I know what to do with. My workouts are incredible. I am gaining muscle and strength way faster than I thought possible at 41.

Stick with it. Don't worry, you will get blasted here in the forums for following a different "religion" than other dieters. They will all tell you that it is dangerous. They should talk to my Dr who I see monthly for blood work. I am no longer diabetic, my cholesterol is 155, BP at the dr was 120/68 this week. Not bad after driving there in traffic for 45 mins (i am not patient). My macros are set at 60%fat, 30% protein, 10% carb. Yeah, very low carb. Plenty of veggies in there too.

So, if it works for you, stick with it.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Low carb eater for more than 3 years with lot's of energy!!

15229096.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

and you aren't dead from 7 heart attacks? All you can eat is bacon wrapped butter sticks!!! LOL!!!!!
    Way to go!!!! :bigsmile:
  • cgavin77
    Options
    I am several months in. It's just the way I eat now. No big deal.

this is my goal!
    Looking to be "full" from good fats and proteins. Im not cutting out carbs 100% but I have certainly lowered my intake! Other then the less energy in the workouts I feel GREAT> MUCH less bloated and sluggish after eating. And Im full for much longer streches.
  • tvbibber
    Options
    I've been low-carbing for about a month. Here's my plan:

1. 125 grams fat per day
    2. 110 grams protein per day
    3. 50 grams carbs per day (no more than 12 per meal)

I eat five small meals, but have a big breakfast before my workout.

At first I had no energy to just do normal things, let alone workout, but my energy level is picking up now and I have found that if I do a 30-minute interval cardio by simply increasing intensity as opposed to speed, I burn the same calories as if I did a full hour! That way, I don't run out of stamina and am able to finish the workout. Also, be sure to drink LOTS of water. Low carb diets usually increase your sodium intake, and you need that water to keep you hydrated.

If you just cannot get your energy level up, read up on "carb up" weekends. This is when you refill your glycerone levels in your body by eating carbs over the weekend (healthy carbs) and then lower the limit Monday - Friday. There are lots of good articles on the Internet about it.

But truly, hang in there! You're going to do fine! :o)