Quinoa Recipes?

Options

Replies

• frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cook according to package directions, but use chicken broth, a touch of soy sauce, and a splash of sesame oil instead of water. Then add any other veggies you would find in fried rice. Great for when you are craving Chinese take-out.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I second both the Quinoa Meatloaf and Quinoa and Black Beans recipes off of AllRecipes. Both of them are sooooo yum! I also make stuffed bell peppers (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Peppers-My-Way/) with quinoa for the rice. Now I'm hungry!
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Try cooking it in a rice maker, the same way you would rice, but with low sodium chicken broth instead of water. Ah. Maze. Ing.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I made a cinnamon walnut quinoa last weekend and have been eating it every day for breakfast. Here are the ingredients:

Eden Organic - Red Quinoa, 1/4 cup uncooked
    Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 1 cup
    Generic - Ground Cinnamon, 0.66 tsp
    Diamond - Shelled Walnuts, 1 cup (1 ounce)
    Raisins - Golden seedless, 0.5 cup, packed
    Archer Farms - 100% Pure Maple Syrup, 1/4 cup

Total: 1552 cals
    Per Serving: 310 cals

I just cooked the qunioa in the milk with some water, and stirred in the other things when it was done.
    I put it in the recipe creator as 5 servings (150g each) but in actuality I can only eat half as much because it's so filling.
  • skir927
    skir927 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Confetti Quinoa

This is the only recipe I've tried and I love it. I use low sodium chicken broth to cook it in instead of the vegetable stock...

http://kidshealth.org/kid/recipes/recipes/quinoa.html
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    How is it as just a side dish? I picked up a box of black quinoa at the store the other night and was going to make it as a side dish tonight. It sounds from these posts that it's better suited to be in something than just by itself.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Try cooking it in a rice maker, the same way you would rice, but with low sodium chicken broth instead of water. Ah. Maze. Ing.

It comes out great in the rice cooker.

Most nights during the week I pan cook some chicken and veggies, deglasing the pan with some whtie wine making a pan sause. I just toss the cooked quinoa into the pan for a couple of second before serving. Comes out so good.

I also like to substitute it for rice when I make stuffed peppers.
  • hollyinPR
    hollyinPR Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just had quinoa for the first time earlier this week and loved it!!

We stir fried some veggies (red onions, celery, green peppers, carrots & minced garlic) and then simmered it with a can of black beans. Cooked up the quinoa in the rice cooker (cooks the same as white rice) and then served the quinoa topped with the black bean/veggie mixture with a little parmesan cheese on top. SO GOOD!

The next night we had a standard salad (romaine lettuce, tomato, carrot, celery) and I decided to throw in the leftover plain (no bean mixture) quinoa that we had. Topped the salad with a few sliced almonds, some sesame seeds and flaxseed. Finally I made a homemade dressing mixing equal parts olive oil and balsamic vinegar, putting in a dollop of mustard, and finally some minced garlic...then shake and sprinkle on. It was also SO GOOD!

Can't wait to try many other quinoa recipes I've found here!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'll make vegetable soup and throw some in, but probably my favorite are black bean and quinoa burgers, recipe below. I made this recipe with other beans last night and will cook them today. They held up just fine and smelled good so, seems you can probably do this with whatever beans you like. Also, they freeze very well. This makes about 18, approx. 100 cal. each.

3 c. cooked quinoa (instructions on the bag - I think it's 1 part quinoa to two parts water, simmer until the water's soaked up)
    32 oz. beans soaked from dry, drained or canned, rinsed
    1/4 onion, roughly chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
    1/2c. fresh parsley, roughly chopped
    1/2 c.-ish bread crumbs (preferably whole wheat)
    (you can try adding other spices if you like - maybe cumin and chili powder, or oregano and basil...)

*Put the garlic and onion in a food processor and blend, then add the parsley and blend, and finally the beans and quinoa and process until smooth. (If you have a small processor this may take a couple batches)
    *Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the bread crumbs. Depending on how moist your beans and quinoa are this could be as little as 1/4 c. or as much as 1c. - they should be wet enough to hold a shape, but dry enough that it's not mush (the dryer the better)
    *Pat into burgers, roll into balls, or crumble for whatever. Sautee with a little oil, grill, bake - it's up to you! I like to sautee them (spraying a little Pam first), about 7 min. on each side over med-high heat (until they're a little browned).
    *Serve w/whatever. My favorite is probably topped with colby-jack cheese and salsa, over brown rice.
  • tyra47
    tyra47 Posts: 97
    Options
    This is my first time hearing of Quinoa and i am going to buy some and try it. Thanks
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to reading full thread.

My fave:

quinoa cooked in broth + lemon juice + olive oil + walnuts + edamame (or peas) + sun dried tomatoes
  • AmyMK
    AmyMK Posts: 164
    Options
    bump!
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet, but I read in this month's Women's Health magazine that a good way to cook it is to roast in in the oven for 10 minutes and then cook it according the directions on the box. this really brings out the nutty flavor.
  • roxymoxy2012
    roxymoxy2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I 2nd The AllRecipes black bean quinoa recommendation!! I add a little Penzey's chipotle powder and leave out the corn. I also cook it a little longer than recommended because I like it less crunchy.

Yesterday I took this recipe, formed some quinoa patties that I lightly fried in olive oil and then topped it with a poached egg, pico de gallo and chopped avocado. It just may be my new favorite breakfast
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa! Here are a couple of recipes that I love, and are often requested for family holidays and dinner parties with friends:

Roasted Butternut Squash and Quinoa Salad (from Inn Season restaurant in Royal Oak, MI)

4 cups cooked quinoa
    2 cups cubed winter squash, such as butternut (I double this, plus the seasonings)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground or rubbed sage
    Pinch of salt
    1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
    1 cup chopped red onion
    1 cup chopped carrot
    1 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped parsley
    Grated parmesan on top (omit to make it vegan)

Lime Vinaigrette

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 clove garlic, peeled, mashed
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mixed greens for serving

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Toss the squash with olive oil, cumin, chili powder, sage and pinch of salt. Roast in oven until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and toast the pumpkin seeds until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Remove from oven. In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, pumpkin seeds, red onion, carrot, celery and parsley with the squash. In a small bowl, whisk together all the vinaigrette ingredients.Add desired amount of the vinaigrette (or serve it on the side), salt and pepper to taste. Serve on a bed of greens.

Another similar salad uses roasted beets instead of squash, and goat cheese instead of parmesan.

Roasted beet and quinoa salad.
    I roast a bunch of beets at once with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, individually wrapped in foil. Then I have them for several days with greens, quinoa, goat cheese (omit to make it vegan), thin red onion slices, fennel, pecans, and homemade red wine vinegarette. I also make larger batches of quinoa to eat later in the week either hot or cold in a salad.
  • fortyplusclub
    fortyplusclub Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    do you know the nutrition info for this recipe ?
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    honestly, i mix it with salsa!! a hearty and healthy salsa, of course! but it's definitley a quick meal :)
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bump