5yr old used Wii to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Well done to both of you, she looks fab! You might have just saved your daughters life.
  • TheNaturalNanny
    TheNaturalNanny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    More proof that it doesnt take much to make a big difference in our health.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome that you hit on something to inspire her to be active!! She's adorable!
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't hype this up by posting before and after pics and stuff like that. Chics have enough stigma attached to their weight. And at 5?

i doubt shes showing her daughter it like shes a diet ad or anything.. i think she looks fabulous!! good work !
    Not like she's an ad or anything, I'm saying little girl gets on the PC and sees her pic (I wouldn't post my child on the internet, but again, I'm not a parent) and she's all freaked out about getting "fat" again.

If she wants a twinkee or pizza she should have one. She will have enough time to be concerned about her weight once she hits like 12.

That's all I'm saying.

I don't think either of you (the OP or NaWillie) meant any harm.

He makes a valid point about her being so young - why worry about weight at that age, but I totally get why the OP is so proud and amazed at her daughter's incredible transformation!

Wish most of us had her stamina!

katie
  • kklove659
    kklove659 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    congrats! you should be proud!
  • sunnyd52
    Options
    way to go mom ! she's a cutie.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I think this is great. She used a gift to have fun and lost weight. If she's 5 or 50 we all learn about body image very young. I know she feels good to have dropped the extra pounds and to be able to enjoy being 5.

Keep buying her games and hopefully mommy and daughter will continue to blossom.
  • Lady_Chilli
    Lady_Chilli Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Great work lil miss :)
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    this is great :)

its better she keep active now.... nice work mom
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    After reading some comments...

I think you did an amazing job. You realized that your child was over weight, which any doctor would have noticed as well. You gave her a fun toy/tool to live a longer and healthier life. Adding years to your childs life is something to be proud of. Too many parents let it slide and keep feeding there kids "twinkies and pizza". Yes, in moderation that is fine, but not every day.

WAY TO GO MOM! and Your daughter looks wonderful. I am sure when she is older she will be greatful that you turned what could have been a bad life filled with diabetes and such, into a much healthier one. :)
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Was she using Just Dance? I heard that one is a good one........

Love Just Dance!!! It is amazing at burning calories. I still rack them up there, even though I am more fit, and it is so fun you don't even notice! :D<3
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I think that is fantastic, and I am sure you are not the only parent on here that has children that might be a little big for their age, and showing that all you have to do is get active to help them instead of telling them or making them be on a so called diet. Sure, eating healthier is always better but it comes down to getting active and not sitting on your behinds. And such a beautiful little girl you have. Good Job Mom.
  • oliveoil87
    oliveoil87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This is the best success story I've ever read on MFP! Beautiful girl!
  • mommyhas4boyss
    mommyhas4boyss Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    now this is INSPIRING!!!! thanks for sharing!!! excellent job as mom and excellent job for her!!!! :D
  • laursie03
    Options
    That is wonderful. Could have changed the fate of her entire life.

This. That is awesome. :)
  • annsmarquez
    annsmarquez Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    wow! So cool! Keep it up sweetie.
  • Emino
    Emino Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    !!!!!
  • Emino
    Emino Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get it, I'm a *kitten*.

I totally understand and agree where you are coming from.....she is very young and weight shouldnt be an issue. I think the only thing the mom wanted to point out was how Wii actually works to help lose weight without even knowing it.
  • alenakelly
    Options
    She was never told she was overwieight, I just stopped buying sugary snacks like dunkaroos and gushers and she plays dance games on wii, i would never lower her self esteem at such a young ago by making her feel big.

Our public health nurse suggested a referral to the nutritionist because of her BMI but instead of taking her there i took matters into my own hands, she eats anything we eat, yes cake, mcdonalds whatever, but clearly its in moderation and the excercise makes all the difference in the world,.

I was so scared about bullying when she started kindergarten this year because kids are so cruel, but im so thankful theres nothing to worry about anymore!

IF A 5 YEAR OLD CAN DO IT, WE ALL CAN DO IT! :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I think it's great she lost weight and that the mom was proud of her and wanted to post her progress. I can't imagine how this would be a negative thing, regardless of the age or gender of the child! What is up with people thinking this is promoting negative behavior in a little girl?? She lost weight, period! And it's going to benefit this child greatly.

Thumbs up to the kid & the mom!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!