5yr old used Wii to lose weight

Options

Replies

• gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That is just awesome...I need play more Wii with my 9 year old!
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think this is fantastic! I think too many people have the mind set that , oh they're just kids they'll get taller and grow into their weight. This may be true for some but definitely not for all. Your child's doctor will be able to tell you weather they are at risk for being overweight. Kudos to you for taking the initiative to help your daughter be more active at such a young age.
  • estellapip
    estellapip Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    She's adorable! You're a great mom!
  • GoodbyeFatChick
    GoodbyeFatChick Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That's great and what a cute little girl!
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Kiddo looks healthy! She's way too cute too! I'm sure you are working under the advice of a pediatrician so now comments from the peanut gallery. But I would love to know what games she is using? :flowerforyou: Please inbox me, or friend req & wall post it :wink:
  • ycc1964
    ycc1964 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Awe she is sooo pretty.
  • skydiamonds67
    skydiamonds67 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! You must be a very proud mama! Congrats for encouraging her to be healthy and active! I was overweight as a child and it was no picnic. It affected my confidence, relationships, basically everything. If I had learned the lessons you are teaching your daughter when I was her age, I probably wouldn't be where I am today, obese and needing to lose 100+ pounds. But I'm starting my journey now and am finally going to lose the weight. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • dawnkay1
    Options
    Well done both of you. My son (13) is over weight. He complains about his weight all the time. I try to get him to exercise with me but he never wants to. I think it's amazing that your little girl was so motivated!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't hype this up by posting before and after pics and stuff like that. Chics have enough stigma attached to their weight. And at 5?
    Kids are horrible to anyone who looks different..trust me, she probably had enough stigma attached to her weight.

The Wii Fit board, (or any game system that promotes moving around a lot,), is so much fun and keeps me from feeling as if I am working out. Glad it worked for your daughter so well!
  • VodkaSalad37
    VodkaSalad37 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out www.wiifitroutine.com?? It's great- It makes "workout plans" customized to you using the wii fit. (and it's free) I love it!
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't hype this up by posting before and after pics and stuff like that. Chics have enough stigma attached to their weight. And at 5?

Please... don't worry about us "Chicks". :noway:

To the OP, that is amazing, finally a video game does some good!

Hahaha.. I read my post and I sound like a total prude. Ah well!
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Even though this is great, whatever happened to the plain old routine of getting your children out into the fresh air cycling, playing, going for walks, making kites fly, climbing trees? I actually found that quite fun when I was a child.... just saying...
  • kerryannk
    kerryannk Posts: 148
    Options
    Also, since joining the gym my girls (4&7) have taken a HUGE interest in exercising and my oldest has been begging to go to yoga classes with me...so much so that my gym has set up a Mother/Daughter class on saturdays starting next week :bigsmile:

HOW FUN!!!
  • rayleansout
    Options
    I would contact nintendo immediately - send them before and after pics and cash in on that little story...
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    She was never told she was overwieight, I just stopped buying sugary snacks like dunkaroos and gushers and she plays dance games on wii, i would never lower her self esteem at such a young ago by making her feel big.

Our public health nurse suggested a referral to the nutritionist because of her BMI but instead of taking her there i took matters into my own hands, she eats anything we eat, yes cake, mcdonalds whatever, but clearly its in moderation and the excercise makes all the difference in the world,.

I was so scared about bullying when she started kindergarten this year because kids are so cruel, but im so thankful theres nothing to worry about anymore!

IF A 5 YEAR OLD CAN DO IT, WE ALL CAN DO IT! :)
    This is so awesome! I'm sure a lot of us on here know what it's like to be chubby as a kid, and it's not the best feeling! I love that she got healthier while having fun and before she was old enough to develop self esteem issues because of her weight. Good for both of you! I'm going to start using my wii more too!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    2djupsg.jpg
    Wow!
    This is great.

Better to get a handle on it now before obesity ruins her life.

Again, good going.
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    that is awesome!!!!! i am a nurse for a pediatrician and i would LOVE it if more of the parents would help their kids get into shape. There are so many fat kids that i see come in and it makes me sad because i know that other kids are sooo mean and they going to get picked on a lot for their weight. great job mom!!! :)
  • akossen
    akossen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That's great! Way to instill great habits now. My 2 year old attempts to work out with me by dancing to Zumba, and she does her "cunches" and "ush umps"...LOL
  • starshine420
    Options
    That's great that she has slimmed back to a healthy weight. I've heard that kids shouldn't lose weight as such but grow into their weight (as they get taller), but not sure how true that is.

How do you calculate kids BMI? I presume it isn't the same as calculating adults.

Do you reckon your own diet changes have had an impact on your DD as well? The reason I ask is when I told my cousin that I was doing MFP she commented "And that will have a good impact on the girls as well" but in truth my girls have always had a really healthy diet (blush - shame I couldn't follow the same advice - we all ate healthily together, then I just ate extra in the evenings after they were in bed), so it hasn't impacted on them at all. But I'm guessing in some families an improvement in parents diet will have a big flow-on for kids. Sorry, a bit OT, feel free to answer or not, as the whim takes you :)

In some kids it can. Maybe not always on the diet, but you're becoming a better role model for when they get older. In our house it is helping because my son is a terribly picky eater. He's not unhealthy, I make sure of that, but he is stubborn and refuses to eat fruits and veggies (hence the "i make sure of that part" because he doesn't know he actually does eat these things), but as he notices my boyfriend and me enjoying things, like carrot sticks for a snack, he slowly becomes curious and decides he'll try it and sometimes he likes it,sometimes he doesn't. We've had this work for cheese, spaghetti, meatballs, burgers, now we're really focusing on fruits and veggies, and you can see he 's curious already. So, long story short, you may not see a difference in your girls' lives now but wait till they get older and they get their own say in what snacks they eat and they reach for an apple instead of a bag of chips.
  • starshine420
    Options
    As to the poster of this topic, you're daughter is beautiful. great job keeping her healthy and being a wonderful parent.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!