40+Club-Making it Work

Options

Replies

• tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Swiss... I love yorkies, especially with a puppy cut. They were my first choice in a dog but my aunt was passing away and needed someone to buy her pregnant dog (Dixie) so I did. I wasnt planning on keeping Moo but he was a big boy poor Dixie couldnt birth him without a lot of help so my husband actually saved them. Not to mention hes the sweetest guy and is so special to me and my husband that I cant see our lives without him.:smile: Poor thing, how did he break his leg?:frown:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cardigirl, you said it correctly, you can work in your indulgences as long as it is OCCASIONALLY. :laugh: :laugh: I know it does not always work like that. :noway:

Congrats to everyone for losing lbs or inches!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I love puppies too!!!! I have two dogs, they are both rescued. Lily is 4yrs old and is mixed with something. :laugh: :laugh: She is very sweet and smart. And Salchi is a dachshund and is also about 4 yrs old. We don't know their exact birthdays so we celebrate both birthdays on Valentine's Day. :heart:

Have a great evening! :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    alf..we have a cat that we are not sure of her birth date so we just celebrate it on the first day of summer. This year she will be 20.

tron..Chesney (my Yorkie) always watches for me to get home from work. He sits on the back of the couch starting just about the time I am getting off. Well, last October 16th my husband and I went to a wine tasting. We drove there right after work. So, I was about four hours late getting home. We pulled up and my daughter opened the door and Chesney ran out...right into the street in front of a pickup truck. He is lucky that all he got was a broken leg. I was not so lucky because it required surgery and I had to borrow the money to get it done. I won't even tell you how much. People think that I am nuts for paying for surgery on a dog. I was told to just have it amputated but that is surgery also and would have cost. So, I paid for it. He had a second surgery to have the pin removed and is doing fine now.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    First time I have time and motivation to post again! have been enjoying company and now am catching up with the houshold. Celebrated the Son-in-law-to-be's birthday, spent time with a friend from 20 years ago and from 28 years ago. So wonderful to catch up and see the ways our lives have changed and our frienships remain! With time in Chicago, some great wine and a couple mojitos, lots of meals made and just a few walks this has not been a week focused on MFP, but like I'm hearing from you this healthy life needs to fit into MY life to be realistic and sustainable so good choices were hopefully balanced with some enjoyable splurges. No weigh in this week, I will wait until next Tuesday and feel good if I have held steady!

We have 3 dogs : Patch an aging Queensland Heeler, (we all love him) and Buckshot and Ryder two lab-rotweiler mixes just 1 year old that just seem to keep growing! So lovable and lots of energy for the kids. No inside dogs for us but a calico cat who thinks she is a house cat! Kind of like the rest of life around here.. Just a little bit crazy!

Looking forward to everyone's reports! I'm thinking about changing my name on here. You all have great names and I didn't realize the interaction involved when I signed on... so I'll be thinking. i guess we are all allowed one change. Would be nice if more of life allowed a do-over Hooray for MFP!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday everyone!

Well, I'm in the final stretch of my goal to get in shape by the time we go to California. With 3 days to go, I feel pretty good about what I've done so far this year. I exercised regularly (are you surprised??), I cleaned up my act with food...still working on those cravings. But all in all I'm pretty satisfied with my progress. I feel that I am 90% on my way to total fitness.

Hey, I'm not leaving you guys!!! You can't get rid of me that easily! I want to encourage and be encouraged at the same time. Let's face it, we need each other to get through this thing. I've met a lot of wonderful people on this thread. I feel that I really know each one of you. Thank you for being so kind and sharing!

My new goal for the summer is to tweak my diet a bit, eat enough cals, and shed the last few lbs around the middle. MAYBE I will even take my shirt off at the pool (maybe not).....:drinker:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning marjiedd. Tell me..do you add in the wine and mojitos in your food log? I am sure that they are listed. Everything is. What I like is that I can see the nutritional values of the food before I eat them. Then I can decide if I am going to eat that or chose something else. So convenient.

sing..so glad to hear that you have no plans to leave us. You have such good advice and you know just how to say it.:smile:
  • singfree
    Options
    Wine & Mojitos (see Drinks: Unlimited-Good)!! :drinker:

Swiss, you're making me blush :blushing: !! Thanks for your kind words.

Too bad I won't be able to get Yuengling Beer in California. Oh, yeah!!! I'll be visiting Wine Country. I guess I'll try some of that (I'm not driving) :drinker:
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Hope you all can recognize me with my new name!!! Just didn't realize the name on here was such a commitment! Hoosiermomma has been our little family joke since we moved to Indiana from California. The name can be a question or a statement and with the large number of kids in and out of this household the question can be a good one!!

I have to say i keep track of the drinks when I'm home but when away a couple days I don't keep the diary.. So far so good but I am willing to make adjustments if this method enlarges me too much. Although I should probably look up the awesome Cosmo i had at Cafe Grand Lux - or not!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I have been reading up on this sight how drinks fit into a diet. I rarely have more than two and have a drink at home maybe twice a week. As long as the lbs. keep dropping I will figure I'm OK.

Hope you all have a great week-end! Lots of graduation parties for us. I think I will take a little notebook along to keep track of what I eat. That's one of my big problems with entertaining and being entertained - I don't keep track of what goes into my mouth! Wonder if anyone will think I have taken a new job as a food journalist. I think that will be my story!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Keep it lean!!!
    (the MFP-er formerly known as marjiedd)
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hoosiermomma...I love it. Yep, a statement and a question. It is a bit long to type though. I have had a Cosmo once. At first, I thought you were referring to the magazine.:laugh: It sounds like you drink about as often as I do. I like Miller 64. My favorite is Long Island Ice Tea. Noooo, I haven't looked up the calories for it. I am afraid to. I only have one of those when my husband and I go out. This isn't very often these days.:indifferent:

sing, I have never heard of Yuengling beer. Is it a regional brand? Speaking of wine. We live close to a winery and go there every year around the first of April. (Our anniversary). They have wine tasting. I think we got to taste five for about $10.00. Between the two of us we will pick out 10 different ones. So we each can taste 10 by sharing.

Well, I guess I have discussed alcohol enough for one day.:drinker:

I went to the gym today. I only had an hour and that includes the time I spent changing clothes. I had to pick up my girls, therefor had to really watch the clock. I spent 15 minutes on the treadmill and 15 on the elliptical. I really worked up a sweat.
  • singfree
    Options
    Swiss, Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the USA (1829), located in Pottsville, PA. Actually the original brewery is only 2 blocks from my Church (so if the sermon is too long I can sneak out....uh, no...I digress...). It is sold only on the East coast from Maine to Florida. It's a real beer, not the watered down stuff like the big boys make. A German beer recipe brought from the old country by Frederick Yuengling nearly 200 years ago!
  • tron3002
    Options
    Well I had my oatmeal for breakfast and just finished my shred. Still on level one because i vary so much from treadmill to the wii to hiking at yosemite that I have probably only done it a total of 5 times. I am getting stronger from day 1 but those arm exercises just kill me. Especially the pushups:grumble: It sucks being weak, but I can only improve right:tongue:

Swiss... glad to hear you dog wasn't hurt more seriously than it could have. I would have had the surgery also, one of my old dogs (a min pin and very stupid) fell off a two story deck and broke his leg. The vet did warn me of the possibility of surgery and I told him what ever needed to be done. Thank goodness it didn't come to that.:smile:

Sing... You are inspirational, I am so glad that you feel like your that close to achieving your goal. It gives all us 40 somethings hope and shows us that no matter your age... You CAN Do It!!!!!

Now I'm off to get some coffee and some lunch. Then I have to get ready to pick up my son and run some errands
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Oh no. I made a banana smoothie and then came here to add it. Too many calories. I learned my lesson about bananas. I am hoping that my workout plus my mile long walk will even things out.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,806 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Back from our vacation around Northern California. Had a great time!

I did pretty good with my eating, striking what I think was a relatively good balance. The day we went wine tasting in Napa and Sonoma probably wasn't the best move :blushing: ....but I enjoyed it! :drinker: I ate some chocolate, drank some (more) wine, but also ate alot of salads, grilled salmon, and healthier foods. End result....I didn't gain any weight AND I didn't feel like I was depriving myself of anything. I weighed 107.8 this morning, so I'm pretty happy about that.

tron, I was thinking about you as my husband and I were trekking through Yosemite. We were up there on Tuesday as well. We started out the morning planning on doing a hike in Yosemite Valley, but the road into the valley was closed, so we started out doing a 2.5 mile hike near Glacier Point. But it was still early, so we made our way down into the valley, and did the hike up to Vernal and Nevada Falls. It was about 7.5 miles round trip, and quite a tough little jaunt up the side of the hill. Just in case this is one of the trails you and your husband think about taking (if you haven't already.....it is beautiful and well worth it), we took the 'Mist Trail' on the way up. Be warned, it isn't exactly a 'mist' you will be feeling from the waterfall. It is a shower....all while climbing something like 600 granite steps (yes, that's the actual number). We took that trail on the way up, but I didn't want to come down it because people were really struggling with their footing on those steps on the way down. So we took the John Muir trail on the way down, and it was a much better route for that portion of the walk. It took us about 4 hours, but we were moving at a very rapid pace because we got started at about 1:00pm.....and it was thundering over us during the last part of the walk. Again, well worth it, but if you go, expect to get wet and be warned about the mist trail and descending because, again, people were having a really hard time. I was still feeling the walk this morning when I got up (mostly in my shins because of all that impact coming back down), but I think I'll be up to some aerobics tomorrow (hopefully!).

I started the third cycle of STS today. It is simply called 'strength'. I felt so incredibly strong this morning. I hadn't worked out since last Friday (minus the walking and hiking we did on our vacation), and I think my body needed the break. Plus, my body loves lifting this way (low reps, high weight). It was 70 minutes of chest/back, so it was a long workout, but it really flew by. I can't wait to do more.

alf, great to see you back from Las Vegas! Your photos look great.

singfree, I hope you have a great trip to California!!

Welcome to all our newcomers!
  • TexasMom
    TexasMom Posts: 70
    Options
    Siring - Welcome back. It's great to hear you had such a good time. And you did so well in maintenance mode on vacation. KUDOS to you!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Swiss - I feel your pain. I love bananas but can't afford the calories so I'm sticking to berries in my smoothies. My favorite right now is blueberry, cranberry and mango mixed. I switch up about every week to keep it new. :laugh:

Sing - I know your ready to make the great escape to California. I hope the weather is perfect for you. I'm sure you'll have a great time with your family. Be safe and have fun!! :bigsmile: :drinker:

Well I was very proud of myself today. I cleaned out everything from my closet that is bigger than a 14, and even got rid of some those. I decided I don't need those clothes because I'm never going back there. :noway: :noway:

I got a HRM as well today. Inexpensive and no chest strap. woohoo!!! Used it today, my first day back on the track. Tried to run but my knee started hurting so I'm going to give it a few more days. Power walked 3 1/2 miles and it felt great.

Blessings to all,
    Nita
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Swiss, Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the USA (1829), located in Pottsville, PA. Actually the original brewery is only 2 blocks from my Church (so if the sermon is too long I can sneak out....uh, no...I digress...). It is sold only on the East coast from Maine to Florida. It's a real beer, not the watered down stuff like the big boys make. A German beer recipe brought from the old country by Frederick Yuengling nearly 200 years ago!

Sing, you REALLY know your beer!!!! :laugh: :laugh: No wonder I have never heard of it, I live in Tx. I will surely look it up if I am in the east coast. Oh, wait a minute, going to NY Jun 11-14. I will definitely look it up. I will drink one in your name Sing :flowerforyou:

Stiring, I miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: Welcome back!! You should have exchanged numbers with Tron and met up in Yosemite.

Have a great evening!! :flowerforyou:
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Hi all!

Congrats to all the successes!

We are back from Chicago and the 20 something cousin reunion. We decided last fall after two unexpected family funerals that we needed to get the "next generation" together for something other than a funeral. So the Texas and Mississippi clans gathered with the Michigan and Illinois clans where the largest grouping was living in and around Chicago. What a wonderful time! My 20 year old daughter had never met her 30 year cousin except through Christmas cards, family letters and facebook. Walked all over Chicago. Did pretty well on food but I have a relative who is a beer connoisseur. First time I have had beer in about 20 years. Played "catch phrase" one night with multi-generations and a cousin-in-law from Russia. What fun!
    Did not gain any weight on the trip. Yea! As we all struggle with weight, calories, exercise and taking care of ourselves, remember to enjoy the calories shed through love and laughter with family and friends.
    Husband just brought in a real cabbage from the back yard! First cabbage he has ever grown. Have a Japanese eggplant ready to pick too. Take care everyone. Hug the ones you love. Texssippian
  • tron3002
    Options
    String... I have been to Glacier Point. So Beautiful up there. And I've been quite a few times up mist trail and to Nevada falls. Actually the first time I was VERY pregnant and could have killed my husband for doing that to me.:grumble: The last hike we went up was to the top of Yosemite Falls. Just imagine starting at the valley floor and climbing all the way up to Glacier Point. Just on the other side of the valley. Now thats a killer hike. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your vacation. And Welcome Back!!!:happy:
  • tron3002
    Options
    I have been making a lot of recipes from my "diet" cook book. Surprisingly everything has been DELICIOUS!!!!!!!:smile: Even my kids liked them:noway: :wink:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: stiring, you are so tiny !!! Are you short also? One of my daughters is 5 ft 1 in. and weighs about 100 pounds. She is 17 and is always taken to be about 12. She hates it now but I am sure will like it as she gets older.

I live in Ohio and have never heard of Yuengling beer. My husband is from PA. I will ask him if he has heard of it.
  • singfree
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!

Thanks all for the kind words of inspiration and best wishes for my trip. We leave on Sunday afternoon from Philadelphia, which is 100 miles away. We have Church first...it will be a long one...3 Baptisms! Then race home, grab a sandwich, then off to the airport. We fly to Atlanta then to Orange Co.. My brother in law will pick us up there, then a 50 mile drive to his house....exhausting!

As I said yesterday, I'm pretty happy with my progress thus far. Now I need to fine tune my diet a bit. My exercise routine is on track, so I'm not going to chage that. It always comes back to the diet...:grumble:

Alf, if you are able to have a Yuengling, order a "lager". It is their most popular product. Make sure hubby has one...the taste will send you right back to Munich (and maybe a second honeymoon to Garmisch)!!! :drinker:

A funny story: I've been in restaurants where they thought Yuengling was an imported beer (Chinese: Ying-Ling)!!!

I will try to check in from time to time...otherwise I will be back a week from Monday. I'm going to miss all of you! :brokenheart: