5yr old used Wii to lose weight

Options

Replies

• twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    Glad you took a proactive approach using something that kids enjoy!
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Aww I like this story! So many little girls that are overweight are taught an unhealthy view on weight loss (I was one of them). I'm so glad she found a way to be healthy and have fun!!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Awesome job mama! Keep that lil beauty healthy!
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    I think this is wonderful! Your daughter looks so cute and healthy! Kudos!
  • MonkeyLover1993XxX
    Options
    she looks amazing well done.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If more mothers CARED enough to find an activity their kids enjoyed to keep them active, we wouldn't have the childhood obesity epidemic we have today. Introducing your children to fun, active activities should be commended and more parents NEED to do it!
  • MonkeyLover1993XxX
    Options
    then she hits 12 freaks out about her weight goes in to an eating disorder
    bigger problem on your hands this mum did the right thing
    I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't hype this up by posting before and after pics and stuff like that. Chics have enough stigma attached to their weight. And at 5?

i doubt shes showing her daughter it like shes a diet ad or anything.. i think she looks fabulous!! good work !
    Not like she's an ad or anything, I'm saying little girl gets on the PC and sees her pic (I wouldn't post my child on the internet, but again, I'm not a parent) and she's all freaked out about getting "fat" again.

If she wants a twinkee or pizza she should have one. She will have enough time to be concerned about her weight once she hits like 12.

That's all I'm saying.
  • Katieladie40
    Options
    I feel this is the best thing ever. I wish they had to wii when i was younger. I have one now and it does wonders on my body and makes me feel happy while doing it. I can also "WORKOUT" with others and they think were just hanging out. Its awesome. I'm still trying to convince my dad the wii is the perfect thing for working out and having fun. Plus i can also play with my family.!
    Keep it up. She'll be sooo happy when she's older that she had a healthy life as a child.!
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    wow! That is truly amazing!
  • coryp12
    coryp12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Guess it's time to break out the 1980's Nintendo Power Pad and games that still work. My parents bought that for us because it required us to do more than sit and play video games. Thinking my kids will love it! Maybe someday We'll upgrade to the WII.
  • Renee2GetFit
    Renee2GetFit Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think you guys have done amazing! Had all of our parents instilled fitness and exercise to us at an early age, perhaps we wouldn't be in the same boat as we are now. And the fun part is, your daughter just thought she was playing a game, not changing anything about her.

I have a 12 year old daughter that is slightly overweight and the girls at school are just plain out mean! She so worries all the time about how she looks. She's playing sports this year and doing the exercise videos with me sometimes so maybe she'll loose some weight too.
  • imthemama060811
    imthemama060811 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I cant believe all the negative comments you are getting!!! No wonder why we have an obesity problem in this world, especially in kids!!! I applaud you for being able to teach your daughter to be active. Good for you!!! She is so adorable!!!!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    This is alarming.

Why??, at that age kids start doing lots of activities, football, dance, baseball gym etc - Wii is just another activity.

If it helps promote a healthy habit that she keeps for life it can only be a good thing.
  • utayah
    utayah Posts: 43
    Options
    I think it is wonderful that your 5 year old has inspired you to be healthy, and that your daughter is learning the right tools at such a young age to stay healthy her entire life. Kudos to you!!
  • MookieL1
    Options
    I think it's fantastic too. I'm a teacher and I've seen so many overweight kids struggle to keep up with their peers on the playground or in PE. Their little faces get red from exertion and they get embarrassed because they can't do what their friends can do. You have introduced a way to exercise while having fun and that's a really important lesson to learn early. Congrats!!
  • EMSNJOEY
    Options
    Great job! I think it is great and important to teach our kids at a young age that fitness and healthy eating can be fun! I was told at my daughter's 4 year check-up that her BMI is too high and that we need to watch her fat intake. My daughter is taller than most kids her age. She looks like a 6 or 7 year old. I hated hearing that because she is tall and lean. you couldn't pinch any "abnormal" amount of fat on her if you tried.

I applaud you for making fitness fun for your child. This just might give her the confidence needed to pursue other activities!
  • famlyluv
    famlyluv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't hype this up by posting before and after pics and stuff like that. Chics have enough stigma attached to their weight. And at 5?

Really???? I mean, come on. The child is doing great! I'm sure the she knows it too! And it's not like she's putting her on the front of a magazine or some fad diet.

Congrats to you both! Such an inspiration.
    ^^ this!! its great you can head off bad habits early! before and after pics are a great way to show her the results of her hard work (play) lol. the weight stigma thing is associated with trying to be stick thin models....being healthy is no stigma!!
  • Tjarvi
    Tjarvi Posts: 53
    Options

Really???? I mean, come on. The child is doing great! I'm sure the she knows it too! And it's not like she's putting her on the front of a magazine or some fad diet.

Congrats to you both! Such an inspiration.

I think it is an awesome thing to post. I see many overweight children and think it is very sad. GOOD 4 YOU to do something about it and encourage others.
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    I wish my parent's had encouraged me in this way... then again.. they are both stick thin with silly metabolism's and can still eat what they want, when they want... I must belong to the postman or something... haha :)

I love that she is your inspiration too... she is awesome!!
  • LisaMom2Lucas
    Options
    That's great!!! So cute!

She will appreciate you for this. I was an overweight child (starting at 8) and it completely shaped my life (not in good ways, mostly) You're doing a great job mama!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!