WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So glad I stumbled upon this group. It's great support for 50+!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary Barbie!
    Hope everyone is enjoying their week-end.
    Cold temps here-16
    Have a good night!
    HUGS
    jane
  • gkcimino
    gkcimino Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I just found MFP by accident and i am so happy I did. I am still finding my way around the site and need all the help I can get in this journey. I turn 50 in December 2012 and want to enter 2013 being 50 and fabulous. Please friend me Thanks
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    So does the sweating to the oldies have a lot of jumping. Looking for something different for exercise.
    Joyce

Joyce, there's no jumping at all. Richard Simmons' routines are low impact 100% of the time. They're a lot of fun and to songs all of us know. You can try a single DVD, they're available on Amazon.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Viv - When we had PJ, he was sooo very laid back. I could give him his insulin and he'd sleep thru it! Now that we have younger cats, like you, I can really see a difference. PJ never jumped up on the counter, etc (he couldn't) so now I have to get used to cats jumping up on things. He liked to be brushed, the kittens think that brushing equals play time. It's just so different when you had older cats and then get a kitten. Kittens are so full of play.

Well, weighed in today. Haven't lost, but haven't gained, either. I know that if I want to see a loss, I shouldn't eat at night. Last night I had 2 small Dove chocolates. You wouldn't think that would have an influence, but it does. Guess just having two is enough for me not to lose. Oh well.....

Just downloaded the book Master your Metabolism and put it on my iPod. Now to listen to it. It's a bit over 3 hours long.

Off to yoga. Think I'll do the hula hoop on the Wii tomorrow. Maybe that'll burn more calories.

Welcome realpure, robbyn, determined, idginn,ehunte, gkcimino and any other newcomer that I may have missed.

Virginia - what an inspriation you are! Congrats on all you've accomplished

Well, we finished taking everything off the tree, just have to disassemble it. We have one more set of lights that need to come down (they were over the garage and we were waiting for better weather) so we'll probably do that tomorrow and maybe take the tree apart. In a way, it's funny. When we were putting the lights on the tree, Bonnie, Clyde and Loki were playing with the lights so we put them in the bedroom until we were finished. We just couldn't have them playing with the wires. Anyway, Vince was taking the lights off and Loki "helped", well, Vince raised his voice and I went into the bedroom with him (I turned on the TV since he was staying by the door). Vince said Bonnie and Clyde just looked at the lights but didn't go near them. It's as if they knew that Loki played with them and he was put away, they didn't want that so they didn't play with the lights....lol

sissy - what a great idea cleaning out your closets. You won't need those larger sizes, that's for sure. Isn't it maddening how companies change the ingredients in their foods? I would sometimes buy the Select Harvest Light soups just to have on hand in case of an emergency. Seems they've reformulated and the sodium that's been added!!!! I remember when Dannon Fit & Light (I think that's the yogurt) only had sucralose in it, now it has aspertame. There's another liquid yogurt, I can't remember the name since it's been so long since I've had it -- probably at least 5 years) has aspertame and HFCS (probably to mask the taste of the aspertame). I can hardly imagine what you go thru.

Nancy - evoo = extra virgin olive oil. Good for you eating in the living room!!!

Sarah - I, too, find that it takes more to get my heart rat up, and also to keep it up. It comes down sooooooooooo fast. A few years ago I had a stress test, you know where you walk on the treadmill. They told me that my heartrate was 140 - it really didn't feel it. Anyway, the nurses were so surprised at how fast my heartrate came down.

I made some snickerdoodles today for bunco Tuesday. I just put them in the freezer. Really, I like this recipe better than the one I had been using.

barbie and Jake - happy anniversary

Off to take a shower right now. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just back from my evening out with DBF and GF. We went to a fish restaurant and then back to her house and watched "Sweeny Todd the Demon Barber:" on dvd.

Sissy - I'm with you regarding food labelling. I have allergies and am always concerned when I see a new colour package because it usually means they've tinkered with more than the package. One frozen dinner that I could eat (no onions or pepper) changed packaging so when I looked at the ingredients, both items had been added. I don't eat frozen dinners very often but it is useful to have one for emergencies. So now, I haven't found any other frozen meal that doesn't have onion, pepper, peppers or 'spices' which could be anything.

Barbiecat - please don't squabble over your snow shovel. I have several and you would be most welcome to try out any or all of them.

And so to bed.....
  • KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hello all! So glad I found this part 2!!

I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with their joints in their hands? Seems it's been fluctuating with me, sometimes it's worse, sometimes it's better - just having problems opening jars and such. Sometimes the thumb joint gives me a terrible pain, and at other times I have no problems at all! I read somewhere that Grape Seed extract pills would help with it - has anyone here tried that or know anyone who has?? Just trying to verify and/or try something OTHER THAN the glucosamine route - something a little more natural, I think...

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :flowerforyou:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

I've not posted for a couple of days. I was working at the gallery yesterday and my back is playing me up - it's always affected by the cold weather. Last night I had five hot water bottles in bed - placed in strategic positions for warmth and soothing abilities. We used to have an electric blanket, but I prefer hot water bottles.

My DH has started complaining that my hipbones protrude too much. I am really trying to maintain rather than lose any more weight, but it does seem to still be dropping. I've added a few more calories. One of my favourite snacks right now is babybel cheese sandwiched between two dried figs. Delicious. I'm also making home made soup and having a cup of that a couple of times a day - warming, satisfying and tasty.

DH is buying me a new ring to wear next to my wedding ring. I don't wear my engagement ring all the time because, a: it's too big for my finger and b: the stone is large and I'm afraid of catching it on things. Normally I just wear my diamond eternity ring and my wedding ring. They are both so big now that I am scared that I will lose them. I had thought about having them made smaller, but my wedding ring was also my mother's wedding ring which she wore for over fifty years, right up until she died, and I hate the thought of having it altered. It's a very special ring that was made by the royal goldsmiths from exactly the same gold as the Queen's ring. Now I have to decide what kind of new ring to have. My eternity ring has 13 diamonds (13 is my lucky number, my birth date and our wedding anniversary) and I don't know if I should have a copy of it so that they could sit either side of my wedding ring. Having worked with diamonds for so many years when I was making tiaras, I will only accept the best - which is a shame for my DH as he can't get away with less expensive options. Bless him!

Going to have a hot bath to try to loosen up my back. Have a good day my friends.

Love
    Amanda x
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I hate when I wake up at 3 AM and can't get back to sleep....:yawn: Ran across this and I thought it was so true:

As I grow in age, I value women over 50 most of all.
    Here are just a few reasons why:
    A woman over 50 will never wake you in the middle of the night & ask, 'What are you thinking?' She doesn't care what you think.
    If a woman over 50 doesn't want to watch the game, she doesn't sit around whining about it. She goes and does something she wants to do, & it's usually more interesting.
    Women over 50 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.
    Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it's like to be unappreciated.
    Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over 50.
    Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 50 is far sexier than her younger counterpart.
    Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off if you are a jerk or if you are acting like one. You don't ever have to wonder where you stand with her.
    Yes, we praise women over 50 for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed, hot woman over 50, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year old waitress. Ladies, I apologize.
    For all those men who say, 'Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?’ Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage!”
    Andy Rooney was a really smart guy!

Today will be a busy day...catch up day for me..house cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, preprepping meals for the week and hopefully a NAP.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    ehunte & gkc...Welcome!!!!!!!!!! Glad you found us too!

KJL: Try fish oil capsules. If I miss a day, my thumb hurts too!

Mukamom: Ahhh...what is it about 3AM????????? I do the same. And thanks for the Andy Rooney quote...I remember that one and it is so great!

JaneMartin: -16?????????????:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: Stay WARM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle: I cannot eat at night either if I want to lose weight...especially anything sweet. Even a little:grumble:

I claimed the other half of a pound today that went with the one yesterday. I have seen it off and on all week, but hopefully it left today for good!

Everyone have a nice Sunday, STAY WARM if you are in the cold and I am so glad you are all here:flowerforyou: Kackie
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    I am discouraged. only lost .2 of a pound this week, I walked 2 miles on Sat, Sun and Mon, did a workout on the bike, bow flex and treadmill on tues, went to zumba on thurs and did not drink alcohol except for one night and all I lost was .2 of a pound.

I did not eat after super either. discouraging! I am trying to find a reason to keep on denying myself. I guess no Sunday morning hang overs worth it.
    Smwert
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    smwert: I know how you feel!!!!!! I have had the same most of my 50s life. That is why I am doing this 17 day diet now. But, Hang in there, and as Barbie says, "NEVER, ever, give up"!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kackie
  • l8dtazz
    Options
    I'll be 50 this November... Can I join?
  • genealace
    Options
    Hi ld8tazz - welcome and welcome to the other newcomers. Nearly 50 is nearly enough especially as you have joined MFP you are obviously anxious to do what the rest of us are doing. Now tell us a little bit about yourself apart from the fact that you will be 50 in November.

I'm feeling stiff today - not surprising after all the snow and ice clearing I did yesterday.

I'm hoping for a nice loss tomorrow when I check in.

I'm going to weigh everything as I put together a shepherd's pie together for supper this evening. Then I can cut it into portion and will know the calorie count for each portion. Will package some of it for my DBF to put into his freezer so that when he gets home from the hospital he will have a couple of easy meals. Will add green vegetables to the portion. for supper this evening.

Going to call my sister to find out whether the sweater I made my gr-niece fitted ok. I need to sort out some knitting as I'm going to do a fair bit of hospital visiting in the next week or so, with both my student in hospital and my DBF going in on Tuesday. He is going to a retirement residence for a week or two after his surgery until he is feeling very comfortable and able to get around.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday all! Did "Sweatin' to the Oldies" again yesterday, probably will again today. Enough to burn calories and tone, but fun enough I want to do it every day. I do need to do my 5 mile walk at least twice this week, but not today I think.

Other than that a kind of lazy day going today. Everyone needs one once in a while.

Exermom: I have an evening snack every night. Two rules I use are - no more than 150 calories and protein rather than sugar. I do that because if I don't have a planned snack in the evening I'll end up having an unplanned snack (I get very evening snacky). A piece of cheese or a slice of ham, a handful of almonds...stuff like that.

Tiarapants: Having lost my wedding ring, I'd suggest you consider having yours sized if you want to wear it. Use a good quality jeweler and they can size it without damaging it. Hope the back feels better.

I have fallen in love with spaghetti squash. It's like eating a starch but it isn't a starch. Marvelous!

Happy Sunday to all.

Virginia
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Welcome to all the new ladies! This is one of the best groups I've ever seen for friendship and support. l miss it when I can't check in at least 1x/day. And I fall too far behind on the posts!

I was sofa bound all day yesterday...stomach thing. Even though I'm up and around today...exercising isn't in my plans. I think it's just a soup and lite chore day.

Barbie...Happy Anniversary!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Mazaron....I'm hoping to be at the gym tomorrow after work. I have a treadmill at home, too, but I have a very playful lab that likes to attack my feet when I walk on it. Hershey (my mutt) also tries to do that when I'm on the bike. I get a much better workout outside of my house!:laugh:

Chat with you all later....
    Rita
  • genealace
    Options
    Tiarapants - regarding your rings - there is a little gizmo that the jeweller can fit inside the ring to make it smaller without actually cutting the rings. I can understand how you don't want to change them. I wear my dad's signet ring. My sister has my mum's wedding ring (that had been her mum's) - she got married soon after mum's death.

Don't know what we are going to do this afternoon, but it is such a lovely day albeit very cold, it would be a shame to stay home.
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I hate when I wake up at 3 AM and can't get back to sleep....:yawn: Ran across this and I thought it was so true:

As I grow in age, I value women over 50 most of all.
    Here are just a few reasons why:
    A woman over 50 will never wake you in the middle of the night & ask, 'What are you thinking?' She doesn't care what you think.
    If a woman over 50 doesn't want to watch the game, she doesn't sit around whining about it. She goes and does something she wants to do, & it's usually more interesting.
    Women over 50 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.
    Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it's like to be unappreciated.
    Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over 50.
    Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 50 is far sexier than her younger counterpart.
    Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off if you are a jerk or if you are acting like one. You don't ever have to wonder where you stand with her.
    Yes, we praise women over 50 for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed, hot woman over 50, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year old waitress. Ladies, I apologize.
    For all those men who say, 'Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?’ Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage!”
    Andy Rooney was a really smart guy!

Today will be a busy day...catch up day for me..house cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, preprepping meals for the week and hopefully a NAP.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!
    Thanks for the laugh
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    A baby shower yesterday and today spending with my 3 yr old grandson so lunch wasn't chicken like my daughter and I wanted. He won, we had pizza and crazy bread for lunch Guess today is a cheat day will try to be good for dinner. He is the boss :)
  • magnolia1962
    Options
    Hello my friends ... I'm wondering if you can clear something up for me. Weight watchers people should know the answer to this, I can't remember. Is butternut squash a vegetable? Or is it like a potato or corn or bread?