WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi All - This is just what I was looking for....50+ women. Where we can share, support, and smile (via MFP). Thanks for setting this place up. I'm going to lose 50 lbs this year so I need all the friends and help I can get. I will, of course, reciprocate!! Friend me if you like. I will be checking this thread often. Happy New Year to all.:flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    jeanettevvon -just wanted to say weighing in the pm versus in the am at least for me has shown different reading.In the pm you`ve eaten,drank.I don`t think it`s a true reading.I wouldn`t get too bummed.
    good luck with the next weigh in.
    Good night to all.
    Thanks for the well wishes and prayers and support with the last year and hubby`s unemployment etc.
    HUGS
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    busy day today, pedicure after work, 2 english muffin pizza for dinner and only 5 min of wii but am happy to see that little evil person says i have lost a little over a pound since I started on this past saturday not bad for 4 days
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Welcome lovediets - you joined by posting here. Now tell us a little bit about yourself. Great place for information and help, and a helping hand to pull you back onto the wagon if you fall off.

Welcome to the other newcomers.

Jane congrats on your husband getting a new job. May this year be a good one for you.

Tomorrow is my aquafit class and the theatre in the evening to see the play "Lost in Yonkers". Don't know anything about it, so it will be a nice surprise.
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My problem that I see happening from my first week is I'm usually over in my proteins and sugars. I eat alot of fruit and yogurt which is why my sugar is high but protein....I like my protein so that's going to be hard to cut back on. I have been under my allowable calories per day (except one:blushing: ) but I was over the protein 4 out of 7 days... oh well....it's coming off so I guess that's the most important part! thanks again everybody :flowerforyou: a.k.a. BethB.
    The recommended breakdown of calories (that the site automatically uses unless you go in and change them) is divided up similar to the US Dept of Agriculture food pyramid guidelines: about 50-60% carbs, 20-30% protein, and 20% fat. Since I'm insulin resistant, I don't need to eat that many carbs -- I used the custom settings to change my percentages. You might try a 40/40/20 or 45/35/20 balance. You need to be eating enough carbs that you don't get tired during exercise or your normal daily activities, but in general we don't need as many carbs as is normally recommended.

I was going over on the sugar too so I did some research. I think the goal is automatically set at 30 or 35 g (what does yours say -- I've already changed mine and can't remember). The Dept of Ag, and several other sites I checked said that sugars from fruits and milk are no problem, but we should limit ADDED sugar to no more than 22 grams a day (for non-diabetics). I hardly ever use added sugar, but just to give myself a little leeway, I averaged how many grams of sugar I was getting each day from just food -- no added sugar. Then I added about 10 or 15 extra grams to that, and I changed the number on my goal settings.
  • yellowrose5321
    Options
    Hi All - This is just what I was looking for....50+ women. Where we can share, support, and smile (via MFP). Thanks for setting this place up. I'm going to lose 50 lbs this year so I need all the friends and help I can get. I will, of course, reciprocate!! Friend me if you like. I will be checking this thread often. Happy New Year to all.:flowerforyou:

Hi Determined!

Wow! Not "I want to lose 50" or "I hope to lose 50" -- "I'm GOING to lose 50 lbs this year"!! With that kind of attitude, I have no doubt you will succeed!

Welcome!
    Linda
  • yellowrose5321
    Options
    busy day today, pedicure after work, 2 english muffin pizza for dinner and only 5 min of wii but am happy to see that little evil person says i have lost a little over a pound since I started on this past saturday not bad for 4 days
    Yay!! A lb in 4 days! That's great!!

Congratulations!
    Linda
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :drinker: CindyW. Isagenix is a line of nutritional products that help cleanse your body of impurities and flood your body with nutrition with a low calorie count and exceptional ingredients......if you want to know more, send me a personal message.......I used the Isagenix 30 day system for months to lose weight and continue to use the products to maintain my new weight, keep my energy level high, and nourish my body.

:flowerforyou: my food and exercise diary are public so anyone can look at them. You'd have to go back to the last half of 2009 to see what I was eating to lose weight.

:flowerforyou: my day got away from me but I did manage to do yoga, walk dogs, and work on the income tax :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:drinker: After the 500th post there will be link to part two of the thread.....be paying attention and you won't lose your post.:bigsmile:
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Good Morning Dear Ladies:

I wanted to do w quick pass in to wish Pam a Hapoy Birthday, I saw somehwere that it was her birthday and I wanted to make sure I did not miss it. I hope you have a good one.

I will be back later.

Love, Cathy xx
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good morning all,,

the last two days have been very good, good eating, very good workouts(i am also trying out the oliva methods)i have been keeping the green numbers as close to 500 as possible, today on the other hand as recommended i pre logged my foods and , i only have 27 calories left for the day and wont be able to workout(its my bday and have lunch with my sister, and dinner with my sons)so if i keep to it i will be very happy ....have a wonderful day all...will come later
  • pizzanut
    Options
    new to this,but when i saw the over 50 blog,i just had to get in there.as we are all pretty much here for the same reason,we all need the support of friends,old and new.so lets see if we can make 2012 a great year!
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our newcomers!

Pam...Happy Birthday- I hope it was a great day.

I had my Weigh in with my weight loss challenge last night and I was down 2.4 pounds. I was down a lot more on my scale at home. I am happy with this direction and not letting the ups and downs of a daily weigh in get to me--I am learning how my body works. As long as the movement goes in the downward direction overall, I am good with that! I am doing my second round of the 17 day diet---it does seem to shake things up for me.
    Now I need to get to the gym.
    Have a good day!
    Sally
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Just a quick fly by to share a memorable day with the pup.

Yesterday Bodi pulled a Houdini and escaped not only our back yard but a neighbor tried to keep him and call us, then another neighbor got him. He was almost under their gate when DH finally got there. I think he was upset at being outside with Ritter inside. Today I left him in the house so we will see how that goes. Of course Ritter made a total poopie mess in his pen and DH had to clean him up. He told me he only gagged twice:laugh: (DH has very weak stomach).

Another story, last night right before bed both dogs went out to do their business. Ritter loves Bodi so much he is always underfoot. So last night I hear Doug shouting "no, no, nooooo" as Ritter walks under mid- stream. :laugh: :laugh: Yep the little pup got pee'd on. Oh well I knew what I was signing up for when I got him.

I personally have a 40/30/30 set up and I set my sodium for 2000mg but aim for 1500mg. I also raised my fiber to 30g a day. Not that I have been logging food lately but when I do that is what I use.

Hypnosis update - DH quit smoking on his second visit. he has one more visit and he is doing really well. I have had one visit and I can tell it will take me longer to get my picking and nail biting under control. I am enjoying the daily morning and evening relaxation tapes and I feel less stressed. I think it will work but too early to tell for me.

Robin and the Bodi boy (oh, and the Ritter pup too.)
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Happy birthday Pam :flowerforyou:

Just a quick update on the things I'm learning reading Master Your Metabolism: What an eye opener! :noway:

I just THOUGHT I was eating healthy! Turns out that specific foods and chemicals IN our foods inhibit or stimulate hormone levels that keep us fat or slim. So I've been cleaning out my pantry AGAIN!. Her mantra is, "Eat real food. If it didn't grow from the ground and it doesn't have a mother, don't eat it." (Have you ever seen an Oreo or Cheeto tree?)

The first 4 chapters are the basics of endocrine disruption before you get down to the actual what to avoid vs what to eat. She is doing a great job of explaining WHY each food is good for you or not and how many servings. This book has tons of information, including chemical code words on labels to be on the lookout for, that I will go back to again and again. The back has sample menus, recipes and even a list of brands and resources for healthy real foods. Best part is its all DO-able.

This is one book I can recommend purchasing. It has too much information to remember from one reading. I ordered mine for a fraction of the list price on ebay.

That said, I'm on day 3 of my detox and my energy levels are improving and I haven't napped even once!
  • sthrnspirit
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! Make it a good day! I'm feeling good! :-) Finally!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PAM! May you have a wonderful blessed day! Mary
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, :flowerforyou:
    We are back from our 3 months of travel and fun and I must admit to 3 months of non-stop wonderful food and drinking :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: too. But that is par for the course on cruises. I am happy to say that with all the delightful treats and gourmet food and champagne and cocktails over the 2 trips I only gained back a few pounds:happy: , we did Zumba almost everyday on our South Seas cruise and loved it, hard on my old knees but it was out on the open deck and the instructor was amazing:bigsmile: I was active every day and the ship was huge so I know I logged in miles of walking everyday, we snorkled, swam, danced and had a wonderful time...I am astonished that I did not gain more weight but now have to dig in and get serious and do something about losing those pounds get back to where I was before we left. I have set a new lower weight goal and would love to reach it by my 70th birthday in May. We seem caught up with business, packing, laundry and every other excuse we had and are starting back at the gym next Tuesday.

We had a wonderful trip to to the South Pacific, I absolutely love Bora Bora, :glasses: this was our 3rd time there and I think it is my favorite spot on this earth. We visited Moorea, Tahiti and Samoa along with 4 ports in Hawaii which we really enjoyed. Over Christmas we were on the Emerald Princess in the Caribbean, this was the first time we were on a cruise and on our own for Christmas. It was different but we loved it and would do it again..no stress, no cooking and they provide a wonderful Christmas atmosphere. I posted a few pictures and will try to do more when I have time.

I see familiar names on here but have not had a chance yet to try to get caught up...I know I can't read all 3 months of posts so will go back a few weeks to try to get caught up with what has been going on since the new year. xoSissy:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Wednesday and Happy Birthday Pam:flowerforyou:

Congrats to all of you that posed a loss:drinker: for the rest of us let's keep it up...We can do it!

Not a good start this am, the commute took over an hour (usually 30-35 min), forgot to wear boots and got snow in my shoes, spilled my raw eggs in my bag :grumble: so No eggs for breakfast while I read the posts.

Hoping for a better day and am getting going on my water for the day.

Everyone have a good day:drinker:

Laura:smile:
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder about the water Laura, I need to get back in that mode of drinking more water each day...On the cruise I didn't drink their water because it is desalinated, I know that is supposed to mean that the sodium has been removed but everytime I drank the ship's water my ankles, face and who knows what else would balloon...so we had to buy bottled water onboard and it was very pricey. Think I will go get a bottle of water right now. Thanks Laura!:flowerforyou: xoSissy
  • shastar
    shastar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi - I just found the end of this thread. It is twenty pages long at this point.

Count me in. I am over 50 and need to lose all the way down to 150. That is what the doctor wants.
    I have about 13 more to go. I did not log the weight that came back on at Christmas. I hope to shake that off and get back to pre-Christmas weight and then keep going another 10 pounds. I have under active thyroid.

Joined kickboxing place last night to see how that goes.