WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see this thread for women 50+!

I have been losing weight for the last five years. I've had some good days and some bad months :sad: Overall I've managed to loose and maintain a loss of 20 pounds. I happened to catch "Project Runway" on TV last night. One of the designers said he had been losing and gaining back weight so long that he had probably lost a ton! I am in the same boat!

I have promised myself that this year I will be consistent in my weight loss focus. My goal is to healthly lose at least one pound each week!
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I just have to say wow .... I just ran a whole mile without a pause .... and quite easily too! Woohoo to me, I've come a long way from not being able to walk at all without the aid of walking sticks. It looks like I'm going to do even better when I do my 5k in the summer (fingers crossed that I don't have another bad arthritis flare up before then.

Have fun everyone.

Love
    Amanda
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Amanda You amaze me...wasn't it just a short time ago that you were meeting your goal? You have truly come a loooonnnnnggggg way!

I am so impressed:smile:

Laura
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Looks like we're getting really close to a new thread. Hi everyone and happy Wednesday!

rjadams: Love the Bodi and Ritter stories. Bodi sounds quite ingenious. Poor Ritter for getting peed on, but I bet he didn't mind at all - just you guys did! Keep us posted on how the hypnosis is working for you.

AHealthier Suz: Thanks for the book report - it looks like an interesting read.

Sissygok: Your travels sound amazing. I think I'm jealous!

Laura80111: Hope your day is improving. Once you start on the wrong foot I know it can be hard to get things picked up.

My calf muscles are giving me fits today after doing the Walk at Home Advanced 5 mile two days in a row. Note to self: you might not be up to that yet! I am seeing a difference in my calves, though. I have pretty heavy calves relative to my weight. Started in 28 or 30 jeans that were generally tight on the calf. Now my size 12 jeans fit loosely there!

Forgot that I have a meeting this evening and didn't pack any dinner with me. So now I'll have to improvise with a quick grabbed meal and that's when I always struggle. All my favorite "quick grab" stuff is grease with a little meat and cheese. Sigh.

Another good book: "The End of Overeating" by David A Kessler. I'm about halfway through, but it's about how restaurant and processed foods are designed to make us eat more. In the attitude about processed foods it has a common theme with the book AHealthierSuz was reviewing.

Hope it's a great day for all. Back to work with me!

Virginia
  • kleinbuenstorf
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!!
    Love reading all the posts, amazing what we can accomplish with a little support!!
    Stayed in my "Zone" this morning and walked 7 miles !! My feet are letting me know that it was enough!!:happy:
    Had a wonderful talk with my Mom after that while resting a bit, just wish we lived closer!! I'm thankful that my younger brother is just 5 minutes from her place and stops by every day and has lunch with her and fixes anything that she needs!!:smile:
    Have a great day,:flowerforyou:
    Desiree
  • lavendergirll
    lavendergirll Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all of you! I made it through the holidays without any major damage. It was hard for me on a personal level this year. I lost my best friend suddenly to heart attack (they say) the first part of July. We did everything together. This was the first Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year that we were not together. I was fortunate to have her children (14 and 8) with me and that helped.
    I still attend WW meetings and the support there is great. I have been around on this site for a couple of months and have really enjoyed it here as well. The support has been wonderful. I am utilizng tools that I have learned regarding my eating habits and exercise and so far things are going fine.
    I look forward to a great year and a successful one. Life goes on and each day I find something positive to establish in my head that this is my year whether it be a beautiful sunrise or the singing of a bird or just seeing all the stars at night.
    I look forward to being a part of this site and this team!
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I am really excited to find this group. I just turned 61 years young, and have been on MFP just this year (I think)...trying to get better with my memory. I had a heart attack 8/11/09, and started on meds. I am what the doctors call 'skinny fat', and I LOVE sweets! Soo, in December I started a 30 day Sugar Free Challenge...which to me was not eating processed sugar..pies, cakes, candy...and after coming off the holidays, I survived. I lost 5 lbs which is great now, I have to build my strength. I love the posts here, and hope to be a contributing part of the group. Happy New Year...11 days into 2012 :happy:
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hi, my deepest condolences to you for the loss of your best friend. In her memory, I know she is proud of you for moving forward and taking care of your health. I also think this is a great group. I am cheering you on in your health endeavors :happy:

Take care,
    Debbie
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Good morning to all of you! I made it through the holidays without any major damage. It was hard for me on a personal level this year. I lost my best friend suddenly to heart attack (they say) the first part of July. We did everything together. This was the first Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year that we were not together. I was fortunate to have her children (14 and 8) with me and that helped. ... Life goes on and each day I find something positive to establish in my head that this is my year whether it be a beautiful sunrise or the singing of a bird or just seeing all the stars at night.

:heart: Hus to you! Something about the holidays makes us miss our missing loved ones all the more. We lost my FiL on Dec 1st, come to think of it that was about 6 weeks ago... And I'll never forget my first Thanksgiving and Christmas without my Dad (2006) and my Mom (2008). I still miss them so much! One thing I learned through all that is the importance of talking about them. Eventually the memories bring more smiles than tears. My husband and I make a point to go out to eat at their favorite restaurant on their birthday. We share memories and laugh about good times or what they would have said or done if they were there..
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good evening lovely ladies,,

i have had a wonderful day, had lunch with my sister(i kept to my pre logged foods)had a very nice time, then some errands and getting ready for dinner with my sons,...just wanted to thank you all for the wonderful birthday wishes, have a great evening all:flowerforyou:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all of you! I made it through the holidays without any major damage. It was hard for me on a personal level this year. I lost my best friend suddenly to heart attack (they say) the first part of July. We did everything together. This was the first Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year that we were not together. I was fortunate to have her children (14 and 8) with me and that helped.
    I still attend WW meetings and the support there is great. I have been around on this site for a couple of months and have really enjoyed it here as well. The support has been wonderful. I am utilizng tools that I have learned regarding my eating habits and exercise and so far things are going fine.
    I look forward to a great year and a successful one. Life goes on and each day I find something positive to establish in my head that this is my year whether it be a beautiful sunrise or the singing of a bird or just seeing all the stars at night.

sorry for your loss....and welcome
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Day 1 of Planet Fitness went well. Stopped on my way home from work just like I planned. Why didn't I think of this earlier??? It was so nice to walk on the treadmill w/o my dog trying to play with my feet....or my son asking when dinner would be ready. Pineapple and apples are in the dehydrator and hubby had dinner done when I walked in the door..life is good.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Lavender....I'm sorry for your loss. It was wonderful you were able to have your friend's children over for the holidays. I'm sure it was comforting to all of you.

Sissy...Welcome back...what a wonderful vacation!!! I hope you have lots of pictures n video!

Pam...Happy Birthday! Were you sufficiently spoiled today??:drinker:

Amanda....Way to go...you have reason to be proud!

Chat with everyone tomorrow...a messy kitchen and load of laundry are calling me.
    Since hubby cooked dinner...I guess I should clean....but then again....if I stay upstairs doing the laundry,
    maybe Eric will clean the kitchen, too. :laugh:

Rita
  • Katiegirl713
    Options
    Happy New Year - Newbie on board!

Well I've been on my weight loss journey since the beginning of September, 2011, I've been counting calories manually since then, first 1500-1700 calories for 6 weeks, then 1200-1400 for 6 weeks, and after that 1200 calories and doing well. I decided to join here when I used this site to get some common calorie counts and the website keeps track of so much more, so no more hen scratched food journals, I've gone digital!

I'm 56 and hope to connect with some good women who are on this journey and supporting each other. I've already seen some great recipes and very thoughtful posts by so many of you.

Let's do this!!:flowerforyou:

Katie
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Busy time on the boards. It's great to read everyone's posts. This board always gets me motivated.
    I got to the gym after lunch. I planned to go this morning but got sidetracked in putting away the Christmas dishes (sometimes I have had them out until Valentines Day!!!). I had a k cup espresso this morning and I found that my heart rate was up (in a good way) and my workout seemed so good today. I also burned more calories than I usually do on my heart rate monitor...this may be a good thing. A little caffiene might have really woken me (and my body) up!
    Taught my yoga class tonight. Last week, I had three new people start so its great to begin with new people in yoga.

I hope everyone has a good night!
    Sally
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Pam!:flowerforyou:
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi Pizzanut!

I should adopt your screen name! :laugh: Pizza and I have a love/hate relationship -- I LOVE it, but it hates me, especially my mid-section and hips!

Welcome to the thread!!
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just have to say wow .... I just ran a whole mile without a pause .... and quite easily too! Woohoo to me, I've come a long way from not being able to walk at all without the aid of walking sticks. It looks like I'm going to do even better when I do my 5k in the summer (fingers crossed that I don't have another bad arthritis flare up before then.

Have fun everyone.

Love
    Amanda
    Congrats Amanda!!!

I want to start a running program, but I'm gonna wait til I get a little weight off. All my years of ballet when I was younger was not good on my knees. I can't say I have "bad" knees b/c they really don't bother me too much as long as I'm kind to them. But I don't think they'd feel that pounding the pavement at my weight would be considered kind! :smile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    A hearty welcome to everyone new. I know you'll just love this place as much as I do!

Did an hour on the bosu today, tomorrow I'll do a Bob Harper DVD, then crochet class.

Suz - when you mentioned about not eating things not grown or didn't have a mother, that reminded me of Michael Polan's books. He said basically the same thing.

Welcome back Sissy! Glad you had such a great time. I'm envious!

Virginia - I have "The End of Overeating" on my iPod. It IS a good book.

Had the senior bowling today. Bowled an 89 (yuk), then 119, then 134. In a way I'm glad that the bowling alley doesn't have hot tea, they don't mind my bringing my own so that's what I do. We also had our Newcomer general meeting this morning so I'll go to water aerobics Friday.

lavendergirl - I'm so sorry for your loss.

that book "Master Your Metabolism", who is the author???

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Pam!Hope it was a good one.
    HUGS jane:flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    1624354v5yc6nzyew.gif

Happy Birthday, Pam........:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: