Embarrassing question but need help

Options

Replies

• musky4
    musky4 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    FiberOne Bars - are yummie and effective (and cheap) - good luck
    keep us posted --- on what worked for you!
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    There is a tea...you can get at healthfood stores...It is called Smooth Move...it is what I use to battle that when water alone does not work...drink it in the evening before bed...steep it for 2 minutes....start with a half of a cup...worked wonders for me without all the bad side effects of laxatives or the calories and bloating of "fiber" drinks.

This is what I use too. Great stuff. It has senna in it :)
  • omna379
    omna379 Posts: 15
    Options
    Activia couple times a day.
  • trishdg10
    trishdg10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What kinds of Fruits and veggies?

Citrus, apples and berries are great
    Winter squash has lots of fiber along with sweet potates.

I find that exercise is the biggest assist.
  • smileeangel
    Options
    There is a tea...you can get at healthfood stores...It is called Smooth Move...it is what I use to battle that when water alone does not work...drink it in the evening before bed...steep it for 2 minutes....start with a half of a cup...worked wonders for me without all the bad side effects of laxatives or the calories and bloating of "fiber" drinks.

This ^ I am not a tea drinker, but I have used this before. Follow the above directions and you should have no problem in the AM. Good Luck!
  • RomaKB
    RomaKB Posts: 2
    Options
    Have you tried prunes! The sunsweet ones they taste good and will do the trick.
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Glad for this post..having the same problem here. I have just started eating Activia every night (for 2 nights now)....no verdict yet. lol
    but I will try some of the stuff listed here :)
  • bjules79
    Options
    I second the fats. Have you tried taking omega supplements (fish oil)? It does seem like greasy, fast food burgers or Taco Bell's beef soft tacos help quite a bit. Make sure it is a greasy meat product, not other fatty foods like cheese or baked goods.

Those probiotics supplements help too. I like the "pearl" brand.
    Good Luck!

:\
  • cbrewer904
    Options
    Drink plenty of water honey. I have the same problem. The more water you drink the more you will loose :)
    Good Luck
    Cherry
  • jlo45
    jlo45 Posts: 2
    Options
    i say take a laxative or 2.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have this issue a lot but i also have Hemorrhoids and a anal fissure...major pain.
    I used to keep my fiber up above 24 g a day. Didn't do a thing So now
    I take docusate Calcium every other day, 4 tbsp golden Flax seed every day and drink a glass of Prune Juice mixed with Cranberry Juice. I still suffer alot but it helps a little
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Salad (roughage), raw carrots, prune juice and/or warm prune juice. I have IBS and most doctors won't give you medication for this as your system can get used to it. They tend to only want to give medication when it becomes a truly serious medical problem and not just uncomfortable. I can't take laxatives as they just kill me and fiber supplements (certain ones) do help; however, they leave me gassy. Whatever you do stay away from colon cleanses - if it is an IBS continuous issue you are dealing with the colon cleanse will only hurt in the long run (trust me - I have tried them). You will lose whatever little bit of regularity you may have and could cause more pain and dicomfort in the longrun.

I have to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day and I still have trouble. I make sure to eat green salad 3-5 times per week and eat raw carrots a few times per week also. Sometimes making homemade dressing with a good Olive Oil and vinegar helps.

I think I am going to try the warm lemon juice and water for the next few days. I don't see where it would hurt anything.

Good Luck! This condition is very uncomfortable but can be controlled - you just have to see which foods your system deals with. I have been dealing with it since I was 13.
  • StephanieHolloway
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? I didn't see that logged in your diary. My trainer said to drink 1/2 of weight in ounces.
  • nurse_chris
    Options
    Whatever you start trying, make sure you maximize efficacy by using something over night...... You need to stimulate your parasympathetic system to start working properly...... So if you are staying properly hydrated, then try some high fibre foods before bed. Apples and clementines work for me, maybe some yogurt with flax or bran, you might have to try a few things to find what works for you. In the morning, drink some hot coffee or green tea. I hate to say it, but smoking can also help (nicotine stimulates both parasympathetic and sympathetic systems), but this is trading one negative for another.....

Once you find something though, maintain so you don't fall into this "roadblock" again

Good luck.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at your diary, but, I can tell you from experience that if I am eating fruit, veggies, fiber, and drinking water like I should, I can still end up constipated. I have to have a certain amount of fat to keep things moving along.
  • analubobadilla
    analubobadilla Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I leave 3 tbsp of oatmeal (without being cooked) in a glass of water at night and i drink it first ime in the morning.. It help if you have gastritis plus makes you go to the bathroom!!!!
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Ok...this is an embarrassing question for me to be putting out there...but what do I do about constipation???

I have been drinking lots of water over the past few days, been eating lots of fruits and veggies...and still haven't been able to go to the bathroom :( It's been 3 days I think. It's starting to get uncomfortable for sure. I would have thought with the foods, the water, and exercise I would be more "regular"...but I'm not. I know I can take a laxative but generally they don't work that well for me.

Any thoughts? My diary is public so feel free to let me know if you think I'm eating the wrong food or something. Thanks so much and sorry if this is TMI!!!

-Liz:embarassed:

Smooth Move Tea.

Seriously.....but do it on a day you dont have to work
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Senna works great, as a tea or a pill, and it's natural. just be prepared. it REALLY works, if you get my drift.
  • 12_Lizzie
    Options
    Activia yogurt really helps! Eat one every day, maybe two once in a while. Trust me, it works!
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You can try mineral oil