Friend snobs

Options

Replies

• tikanique
    tikanique Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't necessarily consider these people snobs. I have only two friends and will probably delete even those. I am on the site to read tips and get support in general. I dont need a "friend" to do that, i just read the forum, check out all the great success stories, track my own food & exercise and I'm good. Then again, I'm also not on facebook. too weird, too much sharing for me. doesn't make me a snob, just makes me different :-)
  • Arcamanda
    Arcamanda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes I understand, thank you. I am new here and am looking for a lot of support and motivation. I've gotten over 40 new friend requests since posting this and I will try and update my profile.
    I looked at your profile earlier and you had 97 friends. For being new, that's pretty good.

I had about that many and I've been here a couple years. I trimmed about 30 of them last week because they were people I just never interact with and some friended me and then never posted anything and I forgot who they even were.

So, I'm not sure what you're complaining about with nearly 100 friends already. How many do you need?

Haha, yes most of those friends are from today. I went back and re-read my original post and I am not sure I was complaining. Just posting a general question. To each his own, no hard feelings. Have a blessed day.
  • Arcamanda
    Options
    i wouldn't necessarily consider these people snobs. I have only two friends and will probably delete even those. I am on the site to read tips and get support in general. I dont need a "friend" to do that, i just read the forum, check out all the great success stories, track my own food & exercise and I'm good. Then again, I'm also not on facebook. too weird, too much sharing for me. doesn't make me a snob, just makes me different :-)

Yes, i understand. I would never call you a snob! Have a blessed day.
  • Arcamanda
    Options
    Being selective about who you have as friends is hardly being a snob.

Exactly this.

Also I don't get along with stupid people.

Turns out, we would get along great!! Friend me!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I never turn down a friend request. I wont say that I keep every friend that sends me a request, but I'll never turn one down.

You never know how it will turn out and why take a chance that the next person sending you a request turns out to be an awesome source of inspiration?! Some really cool idea person that gives you some great recipes and it turns out that you went to the same daycare and your kids played parchessi together? Who knows!?!?

Now, that said, I do not always keep friends. I have deleted some that after friending them I see they post 27 random things on their "news" every half hour so that you cant see ANYTHING anyone else has posted, or just things they talk about are not really something I want to read about. I make the choice to unfriend after I've had the opportunity to see what kind of person they are.

Everyone should have an opportunity to show you what kind of person they are before you make any judgement, at least thats how it is in my book.

Feel free to add me, the more the merrier!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I can admit I'm a little selfish when it comes to my favorite MFP friends. I dont like to share!

I'm kidding!

I am not a snob :)
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Just wondering why some people seem stingy about who their friend are on this app? I guess everybody is different but aren't we all here striving for the same goals? I love friends, the more the better!
    It kind of puts me off when I ask to friend somebody (i always include a message!) and they completely blow me off. These same people are in the community forums over and over again so its not like I am asking people who never log in.
    So if you feel the same way and we are not friends yet please friend me, i wont let you down...LOL

It takes me a great deal of time and effort to view all of my friends diaries, comment on their exercise, and otherwise actually interact with them. If I have too many friends or ****ty friends who never bother to comment on ANY of their other friends' statuses, I'm better off with a smaller number.

This isn't facebook-- I'm here to give and receive like minded support.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you interact with me on a daily basis for several weeks, I'll consider you an acquaintance. Extend that to several months, I'll consider you a "friend". Stop interacting with me and I'll assume you have lost interest. This is real life. My struggle is real. My setbacks are real. My accomplishments are real. MFP is one of the tools I use.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I'm a snob - but I have a lot of friends on my list already (I've been on MFP for a year). If I get a friend request from someone with no message, very little info on their profile or someone who appears to have a completely different lifestyle or interests to me then I probably won't add them.
    It isn't a reflection on them as a person, it just means that I have a lot of people already on my "friends" list and I find it hard enough to keep up with them as it is without adding more. The people I do add tend to be around my own age or with a similar viewpoint or interested in the same things.
  • Santabarbarafit
    Santabarbarafit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'll be ya fren
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    <
    snob

My friends should feel special. :blushing:

We do. :flowerforyou:
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Being selective about who you have as friends is hardly being a snob.

must agree.... so right you are... ::)))
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I friend'd a bunch of nasty hoes, and they were all innapropriate on my profile like, "Oooh, your pics r so sexy, we wanna touch your crotchal region..." and my wife was all, "Oh, hell no! Un-friend all those nasty hoes!"

So now I'm picky.

and I've learned a new word: "crotchal."

hehe.
  • fuzz_pawz
    fuzz_pawz Posts: 106
    Options
    Hi,
    Just wondering why some people seem stingy about who their friend are on this app? I guess everybody is different but aren't we all here striving for the same goals? I love friends, the more the better!
    It kind of puts me off when I ask to friend somebody (i always include a message!) and they completely blow me off. These same people are in the community forums over and over again so its not like I am asking people who never log in.
    So if you feel the same way and we are not friends yet please friend me, i wont let you down...LOL

My thought is that if people don't care enough to include a message to at least say hi...yes we may be working to the same goal...but why be friends with someone if you're never going to talk to them, share stories/recipes/motivations etc? They'll just be a number....like any other social network...so other people can see how many "friends" one has.

That's MY opinion of it...not saying it's correct, but that's what I see it as.
    Personally, if I don't have anything in common with someone, and won't talk to them...I wouldn't consider myself a snob for not adding them. If they wanna say Hi and want to chit-chat, that's cool with me and I'll go ahead and add
  • twistyann
    Options
    I'll be friends with any girl as long as we have something in common (other than the obvious)...if we're always posting on the same threads or if we're a part of another online community then sure lets be friends. But honestly, I don't want to be friends with any guys. IMO What's the point? I don't want to get creeped on. No offence to all the non creepy guys.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If Healthy mind=healthy body. Some of you are really unhealthy. ....just sayin :P

and she wonders why people don't want to be friends...... :ohwell:
  • carleyfunk
    carleyfunk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You can ask me to be your friend.
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Some people like to support their friends, by keeping in touch and commenting almost daily. This is REALLY hard to do if you have a big friends list.. Hence why some of us try and keep them small. Life just gets too busy sometimes to be on MFP for 5 hours a day keeping up with your friends!

If people include a message with their request, i'll definitely consider accepting, but if there's no message (as requested on my profile) then I will reject. Sorry.

Each to their own though :wink:
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Some people like to support their friends, by keeping in touch and commenting almost daily. This is REALLY hard to do if you have a big friends list.. Hence why some of us try and keep them small. Life just gets too busy sometimes to be on MFP for 5 hours a day keeping up with your friends!

If people include a message with their request, i'll definitely consider accepting, but if there's no message (as requested on my profile) then I will reject. Sorry.

Each to their own though :wink:

^^THIS.

I have less than 30 on my list, and I think that is still too large.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I've been finding it hard to keep up with my news feed and friends as my friends list grows, that's why I sorta needed to say on my profile that I can't do any more friend requests. However, I have never actually turned one down, nor have I deleted anybody. I have sent you a friend request.