A perspective on "skinny" one's weight loss goal ...

Options

Replies

• miss_missa07
    Options
    This was JUST posted a couple days ago.

^This.
    And as I recall, the thread ended up turning into an argument because people felt there was a lot of skinny-bashing going on.

Proceed with caution, everyone.
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    I think they are all beautiful.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    this pic again huh? :huh: :yawn:
  • RockChick1984
    Options
    the stick insect look is never a good one in my eyes... i love my curves and would never want to lose them, just to have them on a smaller body would be nice :) but then i dont particularly like really skinny men either... just makes them look ill!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't know, don't care. I wanna body like Bettie.
  • SeekingKarma
    SeekingKarma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I could never understand the appeal of the top 4. No offense but they have the body of a teenaged boy.....

I love my curves and I don't care how much weight I lose, I wanna keep them :-)
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Never in my book, curves all the way!
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Propaganda. Notice how the top row are candid surprise shots that are especially unflattering to those women. the bottom row are all staged shots in very flattering poses.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Let's all make fun of the skinney *****es!

Ha! Ha! Look.. they're skinny!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would take either Marilyn or Keira's looks. Not fussed about the others.
  • Karoline01
    Karoline01 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    wow so true!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Ive seen this on FB as well as tumblr and I totally understand how curvy girls might feel good about it, but bashing the thin girls for beeing thin is just as bad as bashing curvy and overweight girls for not fitting to the western standards and ideals of beauty. Really unnecessary to keep spreading it, no matter how good the intentions are.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Wasn't this posted already?
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! It really does help refocus ones perspective. The bottom row wins, hands down. :)
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Propaganda. Notice how the top row are candid surprise shots that are especially unflattering to those women. the bottom row are all staged shots in very flattering poses.

Very true observation.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Fascinating point on this thread. I have done quite a few reports throughout my school years on this subject. I was always interesting in doing them because of my weight and height. I'm 5'4" and weighed between 145-160 most of my high school and college years. I was very inspired by the beauty of Marilyn Monroe growing up. My mother always mentioned her and how beautiful she was being curvy at a size 12-14. This gave me the confidence I needed growing up.

If you go through the decades of time, it's quite fascinating to watch the famous females. You have your retro curvy ladies in the 50's, but then soon in the 60's you start to get the Twiggie-thin look into the 70s, then it transitions into the athletic look in the 80's (too bad that didn't last longer) :laugh: , then in the 90's the heroine-chic look. Very interesting to see how fashion, trends and celebrities play such a role on body image of women and how we portray them, which leads to how we portray ourselves.

I'm so tempted to keep writing on this. I could write pages....!!!
    Moral of the story for me is LOVE yourself. Don't worry about what models and famous people are doing and please don't compare yourself to them. They are human too and have their own unique body image, their own choices for their own reasons. Just like we do. :happy: Now we could talk about the media too........ that's another thread!

Sorry, I kinda went back to my old report days here. :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

That's true, but since they are all celebrities, we've probably all seen them in many poses. I don't know how many times I've seen posts saying women need to drop their BF to some crazy level like 15% or even lower to "look good naked". Good is an opinion, but IMO those ladies on the bottom would look considerably better naked than the ladies on the top row.
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ive seen this on FB as well as tumblr and I totally understand how curvy girls might feel good about it, but bashing the thin girls for beeing thin is just as bad as bashing curvy and overweight girls for not fitting to the western standards and ideals of beauty. Really unnecessary to keep spreading it, no matter how good the intentions are.

Absolutely. Trashing another woman's body is just not cool.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    This is so unnecessary, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it would NEVER be ok for someone to post up pictures of bigger girls and say ew who wants to look like that, which essentially you are doing here with these very slim girls.

Also there are a lot of misconceptions about these so called curvy pin up girls of the past, Marilyn Monroe was a size 12 - 14 in RETRO sizes, which is a modern size 8 - 10 (US size 4 - 6). Her measurements were 36-23-37 - the epitome of the gorgeous hour glass figure, but that is one tiny waist! Elizabeth Taylor was 116 pounds and 5"4 inchs (36-21-36), hardly what we would call curvy.

Just pointing out that as well as mean, this picture is somewhat misleading. I suppose a key difference though is in those times they focused on health and appearance, rather than the number on the scales or their dress size.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Men Love curves....Dogs love bones.... saw this on a magnet.

Hahaha! :laugh: Love this! :heart:
This discussion has been closed.