Paula Deen represents everything that is wrong with America

Options

Replies

• flake0617
    Options
    :grumble:
    This Video Below is hilarious - but also a must see. Just an example of why people are upset about this Paula Deen issue. For three years she knew she had this disease yet promoted "bad habits" like this. She was doing herself an injustice by eating this type of food. Its sad, because diabetes is a very serious issue. When you can take a big bite out of a doughnut egg bacon burger its like your saying "F" my life....

#justonegirlsopinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1PsDyhNFBI

(didn't read the article, this maybe included already)

You hit the nail on the head! Paula Deen just disgusts me.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I like pie.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    http://www.rawfor30days.com/blog/?p=1805

Here's a blog opinion about the whole matter - and a bit about how Halle Berry recovered from Type 1 diabetes.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    but then again, McDonald's did get sued for having hot coffee. . .

this always gets tossed around the internet. Sigh.

Do you know that the McD in that suit had already been warned on three other occasions to turn down the heat setting on their coffeepot? Do you know that the person who won that suit originally asked McD's only to pay for the THIRD DEGREE BURNS that were suffered on her genitals when the almost boiling liquid spilled into her lap? And that it was the jury that decided that the plaintiff deserved not only to have her medical bills paid, but that McD's would have to pay a penalty for knowing there was a hazard and not addressing it? Their penalty (that's what punitive damages are) was equal to one day's coffee sales, corporate wide. So for permanantly disfiguring a woman, through negligence, and then refusing to pay for her medical bills, they lost ONE DAY worth of coffee sales.

Facts.....a beautiful thing.

/rant.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Who cares? I mean seriously, who cares? Do people think Paula Deen is the only cook/chef that makes unhealthy food? Have you looked at recipes from France? Italy? Spain? The list goes on and on. Southern style cooking is no different!

My family is from the south. I LOVE southern cooking, but we don't eat it everyday. The members of my family have led long and healthy lives despite our southern roots. This food is not meant for everyday. It once was, but most of us have long since left the family farm and long days of physical labor. You don't fry chicken everyday, sometimes you bake it, sometimes you grill it. Many of us have modified our family recipes so that they aren't as bad. I don't use lard and stick after stick of butter like my grandma did. I don't season my dishes with pork or bacon. I don't generally have bread with every meal and a slice of cake/pie after dinner.

At the end of the day, we all need to take responsibility for our own actions. If YOU are silly enough to eat Paula Deen recipes everyday, then YOU have to deal with the consequences of YOUR actions.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My family is from the south and the cooking is yes heavy, rich, fried, ect.... but my family was "thiner" than most of those who dont eat southern cooking. It is all about how oftern you eat these types of foods as well as in moderation. One both my husband and my side of the family diabetes runs thick, and not all of it is due to eating. I think most jump to conclusions about this, no one forces a person to eat a certain way except you, the one who is eating the food. There are so many cook books that offer unhealthy cooking, and using them is by choice.:bigsmile:
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Shocked or whatever? .... because she is now taking money to become a spokesperson for treatment of a devastating disease that is caused by behaviors she's been promoting. Shocked or whatever? .... because she has led people over a cliff for years and now she gets to get paid for what? Shocked or whatever? .... because "moderation" when it comes to her style of cooking is a cynical joke.

Are the people that she" led " sheep and can't make their own decisions. She doesn't have the right to try to improve her life through medication if she chooses and get paid for it? She hasn't promoted anything bad behavior or forced others to eat here food. She cooks tons of unhealthy food on a television show that she gets paid for. She is a good cook. Feel free to either eat and be the sheep or dont and make your own choices.
  • LauraSchaller
    LauraSchaller Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    She's JUST like the majority of US. She ate unhealthy.. she didn't incorporate exercise into her daily plan.. and now something has FINALLY happened to set the light bulb off.

We're all on this website for our health goals - right? We've all been down the road of unhealthy eating and damaged our bodies too.

Now she's going to start being more of a Diabetic Cook. GOOD FOR HER! She's taking what happened, and her current daily life, and turning it into something for MANY Americans to relate to.

Shame on you for judging her. Shame on you for putting her down. Shame on you for thinking she needs to get off of the Food Network.

That's just my two cents. Discuss as you will, pull it apart as you will, but don't point fingers unless you haven't been down the "I eat like crap, oh ****, I need to get my life & health together" road.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    what is wrong with america? we cant take responsiblity for ourselves.

...And we place blame on everyone else like Paula Deen when she didn't put a gun to our heads and scream "eat my recipes or I shoot!!!"

I agree that she has taken an irresponsible stance on this issue...but that is HER stance. Who the hell cares? If it's not YOUR stance, then good for you! Ignore her and move on. Take responsibility for yourself and don't put the blame on anyone else if you gained weight eating her crap...

This. People have the CHOICE to modify her recipes to make them healthier. Nobody is forcing anyone to eat them. I made one of her "gooey butter cakes" once - while it was good, I only ate a little bit of it, gave away a lot, and wouldn't make it again without some serious modifications.

Live and let live. If she chooses to take this route, that's her choice. Your choice is to change the channel.
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    I have to admit, I enjoy having "Paul Deans Best Dishes" on while cooking and I love her whole souther shick with her hey ya'll, howdy ya'll, I love butter ya'll, but I would probably never eat her cooking. Why? It's not healthy. Is she a bad person because of it? No. Is she to blaime for America's obeasity problem? No. If she is, we'd have to point fingers at all of the food networks foodies like Giada De Laurentiis, Bobby Flay, Rachel Ray, Nigella Lawson, ect. We are only accountable for what we put in our and our familes mouths, everyone else doesn't matter. Should they set better examples? Probably, but set the example before them by cooking well and staying away from being a statistic.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    what is wrong with america? we cant take responsiblity for ourselves.

...And we place blame on everyone else like Paula Deen when she didn't put a gun to our heads and scream "eat my recipes or I shoot!!!"

I agree that she has taken an irresponsible stance on this issue...but that is HER stance. Who the hell cares? If it's not YOUR stance, then good for you! Ignore her and move on. Take responsibility for yourself and don't put the blame on anyone else if you gained weight eating her crap...

I agree. Paula Deen did not put the cellulite on my hips, and Leslie Sansone, Jillian Michaels, or whoever else won't take it off for me. I have the responsibility for me. Paula Deen has a responsibility for herself. It may be a stretch to believe she REALLY thinks that eating her recipes and taking a pill for diabetes is the best of both worlds, but it is MY responsibility to not take a sales pitch or an honest opinion for gospel truth.
    Whether we are talking, food, housing, entertainment, or even, unfortunately, medicine and medical care, it is an individual's responsibility to educate oneself and make the best possible decision for his or her own good. Caveat Emptor.

P.S. I like red meat. I like butter. I like a whole bunch of things that I'm working on either eliminating or decreasing consumption of, but Ms. Deen's recipes NEVER looked appealing to me! Who in the name of all that is good puts a cheeseburger on a donut? A four year old combining her two favorite things on her birthday? I wouldn't want to clean THAT up! Seriously, I get a stomach ache just looking at the picture and description of her food! Her food practically jumps off the page and does a song and dance proclaiming itself unhealthy! How can she be blamed if people refuse to pay attention?
  • ManaMoo32
    Options
    I've been to her resturant in Georgia. and really while there were a few thing that were okay, everything else was so greasy i felt like i gained 20 lbs walking in the door! I am all for comfort food every once in a while, but lay of the deep fryer.
  • AMHA32
    AMHA32 Posts: 23
    Options
    but then again, McDonald's did get sued for having hot coffee. . .

this always gets tossed around the internet. Sigh.

Do you know that the McD in that suit had already been warned on three other occasions to turn down the heat setting on their coffeepot? Do you know that the person who won that suit originally asked McD's only to pay for the THIRD DEGREE BURNS that were suffered on her genitals when the almost boiling liquid spilled into her lap? And that it was the jury that decided that the plaintiff deserved not only to have her medical bills paid, but that McD's would have to pay a penalty for knowing there was a hazard and not addressing it? Their penalty (that's what punitive damages are) was equal to one day's coffee sales, corporate wide. So for permanantly disfiguring a woman, through negligence, and then refusing to pay for her medical bills, they lost ONE DAY worth of coffee sales.

Facts.....a beautiful thing.

/rant.

THANK YOU!!!! I saw someone mention this at the beginning of the thread and jumped to the end to post this exact thing. Now, I believe that there was also something along the lines of her taking the top off the coffee, putting the cup between her legs on the seat to hold it and driving off which caused the spill. But, yes, McD's was negligent in that they had failed to address the issue before. I believe they failed to do so because they are only supposed to keep the coffee on for a certain amount of time and by brewing the coffee hotter, they could keep it on longer. Less waste = less # lost. This example has got to stop being used in such a simplistic way.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't know a single woman that would eat the "Lady's Brunch Burger"

If I'm flipping through the channels and catch so much as a glimpse of her cooking show, I instantly feel nauseous.

How are people eating this garbage and NOT expecting to get seriously sick?!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    By the way, Paula Deen's critic Anthony Bourdain loves his pork, and on one episode of No Reservations filmed in Italy he was eating slices of lardo and smearing the fat on his lips. Lardo is cured pork fat. So Anthony Bourdain, former addict, heavy drinker and smoker, advocates eating pork fat (kind of like my grandma who always kept a can of lard next to her bacon grease can on the stove). He's paid to eat things like this, and every time he slams Paula Deen, guess what ... he and his network are making money. Kind of hypocritical for him to be criticizing Ms. Deen.

The Deen family will be donating part of their proceeds from their participation in the Diabetes in a New Light program, and her sons will be touring to support the program with no compensation. It's simply not true that she has stated she plans on making no changes to her lifestyle, and it's simply not true that she's just making money for being a talking head for the drug company. From PharmaBiz:

'... “People may benefit from seeing how others successfully manage type 2 diabetes. Paula Deen, through her work with Diabetes in a New Light, is likely to inspire many people living with type 2 diabetes to take a more positive approach to their diabetes care,” said Geralyn Spollett, MSN, ANP-CS, CDE, president, Health Care & Education of the American Diabetes Association. “We commend her for speaking out on behalf of people with type 2 diabetes and welcome her to the Association’s Stop Diabetes movement.” Paula takes Victoza (liraglutide [rDNA origin] injection), a once-daily, non-insulin injection, as part of her treatment plan and continues to make lifestyle adjustments, including enjoying lightened-up versions of her favourite recipes....'
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Frankly, you can't assume that anyone knows as much as you know.
    Wisdom comes from knowing that you DON'T know everything, and always staying open-minded. Paula Deen discovered a way to cook, a culture she resonated with (Southern cuisine, living) and like many of us... lived it.
    She's not the only person on the planet who's gone through this same thing. Maybe your aunt, cousin, grandfather, or friend has contracted Diabetes as well.

Just because she is a cook and has a show on the Food Network that follows Southern culture, doesn't mean she should be restricted to just that show. Have any of you ever researched outside of what Twitter feeds and short articles tell you?
    Also, don't tell me you made a huge stink of this woman before all of this buzz started.

Just like you would wish that others believed in you and had faith in what you're doing, any other person deserves the same thing. Especially when they don't force you to do what they're doing. No one can accuse her of doing that.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Honestly I can see both sides of the topic. While I'm not from the South originally, I lived in North Alabama for 10 years and now live in Jackson Mississippi. So, I totally understand and agree that this her cooking southern culture and I LOVE southern food. When I go visit my boyfriend's (who has lived in the South his whole life) family we do eat a lot of southern food and I find it extremely difficult to stay within my calorie goal while we are there. Everything is fried and full of calories and fat (butter mostly). The southern states usually make up the majority of the top 10 fattest states in America for a reason. I totally agree that her food can be eaten in moderation, and I have made a couple of her recipes before, but they are always to take to potluck functions or family gatherings. I do not cook her food all the time at home. Many people in the south DO eat like this every day though. I saw Paula Deen on The Chew yesterday and she was saying that "There are lot's of contributing factors that can cause type 2 diabetes like: age, genetics, etc". While this is true, Paula Deen didn't end up overweight and with type 2 diabetes because she ate grilled chicken and vegetables every day. However, when someone decides to become a chef or cook for a living and own a restaurant they usually pick a certain style of cooking. Usually that cooking style isn't "healthy", and there are many other chefs/cooks on TV that don't cook healthy either, not just Paula Deen.

Bottom line though I hope Southern people see this as proof that Southern food is not healthy to eat all the time. We are rampant with heart disease, diabetes, and obesity in the South because of it. Sure, it tastes good, but what is more important, eating food that tastes good for 40 years or living to see your grandchildren?

PS: I believe pushing pharmaceuticals and not pointing out that many people control type 2 diabetes with their diet alone (my dad included) is a huge mistake on her part.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think it is utterly ridiculous to be mad at Paula Deen. As others have stated she is a celebrity and a cook. And honestly, it isn't that her food is sooo much worse than anyone elses, it's that she actually always talks about the butter and cream (you see lots of butter and cream with Ina Garten and others, who may or may not have health issues they choose to disclose, they just don't chatter about it as paula deen does)...good lord, remember Graham Kerr and Julia Childs and Jaque Pepin and so many other french and italian and american and you name it cooks....every fancy restaurant in america uses tons of butter and cream, and every other restaurant uses tons of other crap...

But now we blame paula deen and say she is repulsive? Somehow she should have disclosed her personal health issues or she's led us all to ruin? Hello, she is a human, with faults. She has never claimed to be a diet guru nor does she have a fitness or eating healthy show. So if Jillian Michaels falls over with a heart attack and we find out she knew she had a heart murmur, will we blast her for being "a skinny on the outside, fat on the inside person" who lied and deceived us?

I suspect, that if paula deen were thin looking, there would not be near as much chatter...i think we are hearing a lot from the people that find obesity disgusting in general and feel she's "getting what she deserves". Sad how callous and judgemental some people are...(and no, i did not read the entire thread, so please don't think this is directed at anyone in particular ;-).

In my humble (or not lol) opinion - she had no obligation to disclose her health issues, just as any celebrity who also has a personal life has a right to keep it "personal". If someone miscarriages or has heart trouble, do they have to tell us? Is it really their responsibility to let us know? What if they have erectile disfunction or vaginal dryness? (yes, i said vaginal!) Do we need to know? Where the heck is the line? Yes, celebrity's are visible and many feel they have a responsibility to do whatever the public thinks they should, aka "what is right"...but honestly, they aren't heroes, they happen to do a job like everyone else, and theirs is televised and we choose to watch them....how the heck does that mean they are responsible for what happens to any of us? Or obligated to us.

I agree with those who have said the accountability is on us. For some reason, many people don't want to be accountable. They want a president to fix everything in a day, and celebrities to make sure that we do the right thing. If they run across the street and are struck by a car, it's always the drivers fault, not the person jumping into the road. Frankly, it's just weird.

I'm sad another human being has type 2 diabetes. Most of us on this board know how difficult it can be to be healthy, to figure out proper nutrition, to understand how foods work in our system, how exercise works, etc...why was Paula supposed to be any smarter or healthier than anyone else....hello, she is struggling with the same issues. In all reality, if she ate the food she cooks on her show as a lifestyle, she'd be a heck of a lot bigger and unhealthier. Let's be real and stop calling people out for being human!

eta: reading more and more posts in this thread makes me happy...we sure have a lot of smart people on this site!
  • chickidoo1121
    chickidoo1121 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    we are all ultimately responsible for what we do or put in our bodies. there are many other factors besides paula deen that has caused america to be fat.

she has never said she was a healthy cook. she cooks what tastes good, what is apart of a culture (southern). and she certainly has never said, 'you need to eat this all the time'.

what is wrong with america? we cant take responsiblity for ourselves. the education is out there, we all know what is healthy and what isnt. so its up to us, its up to the rest of america to choose health. its just that most of america is so resistance to health and eating healthy.

I agree....
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

If I was to adopt every celebrities life-style that I have watched over the years, I would be a drunken sot, snorting lines of cocaine but I would be WINNING! Thank you Charlie Sheen for that. I love Charlie Sheen's show (2 and half Men), so should I have grabbed a bunch of ho's and took every drug possible because I was a follower of a TV show? I think not. So lets see, the similiarites, Paula Deen hosts a TV show and while I make some of her less outrageous dishes, she is in no way responsible for the body that I am now living in. I AM! I snuck thru the drive-thru and had a 800 calorie Whopper and then came home and fixed a full 5-course meal and ate like I hadnt eaten in days.

And what are we doing, we of all people are passing judgement on someone else's lifestyle when we have had to endure that for our entire life. I would think we would be more sympathetic. If not, let's drag every celebrity out here and see if we have been influenced by them to do things such as drinking, smoking, doping, commiting suicide, etc. I'm sorry but I feel sympathy for her and her family. Yes she knew what she was doing was endangering her health and yes I know what I did endangered mine. I'm taking responsibility for my actions and she'll have to do the same. I just cant comprehend a group of fat now or once fat group such as ourselves judging another's actions. I've been judged all my life and it did nothing to help me to overcome my faults.

Actually I'm just fed up with all the negativity about her or anyone else. I am choosing to change my life for the positive.

DAKITTEN!!! I love what you said, girl..........................true, true, true!

Nice job. Personally, I've never liked Paula Deen, and it had nothing to do with her recipes and TV show. I couldn't stand her southern-accent-over-the-top personality, and her BIGGER than life personage! Watched bits and pieces of her show, because one of my best friends LOVES the food network....................and watching that video that someone posted of her eating a donut-egg-bacon hamburger about made me want to vomit. Ugggh.

I thank God that I'm not overly influenced by ANY celebs.....I like to watch the trainwrecks that they are, and thank the good Lord that I have more sense!!
This discussion has been closed.