Seriously too young to give up, but yet i do...

Options
124»

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Try to figure out what made you give up. As others have said, the emotional part of this is more powerful than many would credit. Sometimes, it's subconscious - having lost over 60lb a few years back, I met a guy I really, really liked (not a frequent ocurrence) and promptly stopped all my good habits and put the 60 back on, plus a fair few extra. I'd always assumed that men didn't find me desirable because of my weight, and my subconscious was so afraid (ironically, of both rejection and success/acceptance!) when the weight wasn't such an issue, that I ended up undoing all my progress rather than facing up to my fears.

If you can figure out what caused you to stop last time, you'll have a much better chance of succeeding, and maintaining your new habits this time around.

Good luck!
  • Sweet200307
    Sweet200307 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Girl I have been where u are and I know how frustrated you must be but you definetely need 2 be in the mindset that you want 2 change. When you REALLY have had enough and you want 2 be healthier, happier, more in shape nothing will deter you from stopping until you reach your goal. I am 5.5 and 267lbs the biggest I've ever been in my life. I was 180lbs b4 I had my daughter 6yrs ago, 206 the day I had her, 183lbs 1month after having her then ate myself to 267. I only have myself 2 blame but I have had enough! And u will 2 on day. You have 2 change ur eating habits, u have 2 exercise, u have 2 wrk hard to achieve a healthier lifestyle. It is very hard but things worth having are worth wrkn hard 4 right. Ill friend you and motivate you. You can do it. One day, One meal, One wrkout at a time
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You won't make the change until you're ready.... You have to be mentally ready, and obviously you're not there yet.... But trust me, it's worth it. I am 29, I started on 1/1/11 - at 303.4 (I'm 5'6'') -- and now I'm at 205.2 (down 98.2lbs).... The weight loss is the ultimate goal for me BUT what keeps me going is how great I feel. I've become a gym rat. If I don't get a work out in, it's like I haven't showered for the day! I'll be 30 in a couple months, and hopefully I can start my 30's under 200lbs. Good luck - don't give up!!
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time, one workout at a time and one pound at a time... Don't think so much on the end result, but "enjoy" the process there.

How about starting 3 days a week? I would do not just cardio workouts, but with added weights for resistance. They would be more like Total Body workouts, instead of just cardio or just weights. The combination of the two are an excellent way to kick start your weight loss again.

I can send you some routines if you want as an example. Send me a message and I will be glad to email them to you.

Maria
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing for 20 years. My all time high weight was 353 pounds and I am 5'3" tall. I had high blood pressure and diabetes. I was killing myself. Do something before it gets to that point. I wish I had done something when I was only at 200 pounds. Save yourself a lot of hassle and lose the weight before you end up with health issues. It has taken me a year, gastric bypass, eating right, and lots of exercise to get down from the 353 pounds to 205 pounds. I am no longer diabetic and don't have high blood pressure but why not prevent it from happening.
  • countrygirl812
    Options
    I was that way until I found the determination to start doing something about it. You have to want it 100%, and no one other than yourself can do anything about it.
  • Lovesparklesandcupcakes
    Options
    Hi There,

I agree with everyone that you have to really want it. I have recently gained back 4kg's of the 8kg's I initially lost and I am so so disappointed in myself. I was so close to my goal I was just meters away from the finish line and I gave it all up. Thankfully I have an extremly motivational gym buddy who has done amazing things to her body and thankfully (with my 30th birthday coming up) I am definitely more scared of staying the same than I am of change so I am finally back on the wagon and ready to do it all over again and then some. I don't know if this has been said already but (and it really is a simple suggestion) have you tried gyming in the morning? For me this was key because at the end of each day there is nothing I want to do more than go home to my boyfriend and dogs and a couch and my TV. Gyming in the morning got it out of the way early in the day but an added benefit was that I felt good afterwards so my eating became better. If you put the work in in the morning you really don't want to ruin it with food so you eat better during the day. Ultimately it is the small simple changes that will make all the difference - just start somewhere...anywhere...even if you just reduce half a spoon of sugar in your coffee it is a start...
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I have been there and fought my demons for years. I spent so much time looking at the past and where I screwed up so much that I wasn't looking at the present. I was close to 300 lbs and living on the sidelines of life. I finally snapped when I had a couple of serious health issues that woke me up. I started weight watchers and got down to 168 lbs. Than...I went back to oh crud. Stopped exercising and went back to 240 lbs. At 38 years old I decided to do something again about my weight. I got down to 149 and separated from my hubby. Gained some back..and NOW losing it again. This time it is for good. I am tired of going up and down on the scale. My new maximum weight is going to be 150, and that will be my danger weight. Danger meaning that I have to get off my butt and do something.

You need to learn to love you. What are your best features both physical and interally? The outside looks can change but your internal things can't be. What are you worth to yourself? Are you worth the effort to become the healthy and attractive woman that you want to be? I can bet a bottle of water that you think you are not worth it. You are completely wrong in that thinking. Everyday is a gift and meant to be lived. Live it and Love it. You never know when something is going to change your life.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to comment on something I picked up from the OP's last comment...as much as you might want to, you can't change for him. You have to make this about you - your health, your fitness.

Trust me, I went through years of feeling the frustration you're going through right now. I mostly felt ok about myself and my hubby adores me, even at my heaviest, but I always wondered if he was embarrassed to be seen with me and if my friends felt the same way. I tried losing the weight for him or because my doc said I had to or because I wanted to look good in that bridesmaid dress but none of that worked.... Those were all temporary goals and didn't include anything that really inspired me.

When the desire hit me to finally lose the weight once and for all, I didn't just latch on to the latest diet fad or workout 2 hours a day in the gym, I did some major thinking first. Why hadn't I succeeded in the past with weight loss. What changed between when I was psyched up in the beginning and when I gave up? What did I enjoy and what did I hate doing? How could I do it differently this time around to make it work? How could I do this for life?

I knew deprivation didn't work. I knew latching on too hard to a support system didn't work (support is key but you need to be self accountable and self motivating to stick with it). I needed to think of every change I was making in terms of how it worked for me for the rest of my life - could I commit to it for more than a few months. I'm also a big fan of small goals aka baby steps. Pick one goal to work on at a time so you're not overwhelmed. For the next few weeks, track every day. Don't worry so much about staying in your goals (but celebrate when you do), just get used to tracking. Once that's a habit, move on to exercising more then drinking your water, eating your fruits and veggies, etc etc. If it takes a while, that's ok, what's the rush anyway? I've been doing this for 2 years and haven't even reached the 80 pound mark yet but I'm still on the right path and building those good habits and I'm not giving up.

I'm not usually one for self help books but I did read a great running book that I thought had some great inspirational thoughts about life and weight loss and health in general. If interested, check out John Bingham's "The Courage to Start"

I seem to remember you posting a similar plea for help recently so I sincerely hope that you find what works for you!
    Best of luck!
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Brittany are you afraid to try because you're afraid of failing and then the situation will be hopeless? Push those thoughts aside and just decide you're going to move your feet! Just for today! And something I find very helpful is writing down everything you put in your mouth. Don't worry about calories or anything else right now. Just get a little notebook and start writing everything down when you eat it. You will be amazed at how much more accountable it will make you. And don't focus on who you are right now. Change your focus to that person inside that you want to be! That leaner healthier happy person that is strong and doesn't get out of breath! See her. Visualize her and then start living out the steps it takes to become her. And remember, all that fat on your body is unused energy. You need to take less in and burn up what you got! I lost 56 lbs when I was 26. It took me about a year. One thing that helped me very much was that I had a buddy to meet and exercise with that was also over weight and committed to get it off. Can you find a buddy?
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time, one workout at a time and one pound at a time... Don't think so much on the end result, but "enjoy" the process there.

How about starting 3 days a week? I would do not just cardio workouts, but with added weights for resistance. They would be more like Total Body workouts, instead of just cardio or just weights. The combination of the two are an excellent way to kick start your weight loss again.

I can send you some routines if you want as an example. Send me a message and I will be glad to email them to you.

Maria

Maria!!!!!!! Oh gosh, what a coincidence!!! Do you remember me from beachbody.com chat room ... i was ksubam06 on there .... and we were both friends on there with CoachInna71!! Wow it's great to talk to you ... how are you???

@DQMD .... i don't always think i'm worth it, no. i know i need to change that state of mind, but easier said than done :/
  • Ediz1987
    Ediz1987 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 24 years old and currently around 250. After I had my daughter in 2009 I was at 305 the heaviest I've ever been and a weight I never want to see again. Seeing that on the scale just snapped something in me and I knew I had to get sure weight off. I was successful losing 45 pounds then I slipped back into old routines until about two weeks ago. I was tired of being the weight I am- tired of being depressed and feeling sorry for myself. At some point you just need to make yourself do it. Take It one day at a time and eventually you will make a new habit for yourself. Ive been discouraged many days in the last two weeks but I keep, going because i know I'm happier trying than sitting being sorry about my body.
    good luck! I hope you find the courage in yourself!
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    Sometimes it's all about tweaking your diet and exercise to fit your needs. When I was 24 I wasn't too much overweight, but then I got lazy, got a desk job, and it lead to a whole lot of health issues. I don't know if you have kids, or if you are planning on kids, but when you gain weight, your chances of getting pregnant decrease. That is what I think about and what I am working towards. You have to find things and motivation that works for you.

I have a few things to look at for motivation.
    - My daughter
    - My husband
    - I want more kids
    - For Every 10 pounds I lose, I get a new charm for my charm bracelet.
    - For Every pound I lose, I get to put a dollar into the "new me fund" which can go towards exercise equipment, or something for me.
    - I set small goals for myself.

Good luck
  • MandeeSue
    MandeeSue Posts: 153
    Options
    I done the same thing...I am only 4'11, 25 years old and had lost about 15 lbs. feeling great and looking better. I had started in the 170's. And for a small frame that is way to much weight. But one day I woke up didn't want to count, and didn't want to workout..and I found myself weighing more than I did before. Couldn't wear anything..even my "fat" clothes. But it finally clicked, I seen myself in a picture with my beautiful son and could not believe what I had done to myself !!

So I started off this year doing things right..making healthier decisions, pushing through a workout even when I am dog tired. You'll know when you have the right mind set.I kept saying "I want to lose weight, I want to be healthy and active" But saying and doing it is to two different things. You have to realize that your health is more important then that bag of chips, or can of soda. You can do this..Best of luck hun and remember it's a lifestyle change, not a fad diet !
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i do that a lot ... i throw myself a little 'pity party' because i feel sad about my weight. i really need to step it up. I'm going to start logging my food today. That is going to be my first little step. Next hopefully will come refining what i eat... and soon... exercise! but i'm not going to power through it like before.... one step at a time this go-around ..... i'm not superwoman after all :laugh:
  • earthymom
    earthymom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    In order to feel successful, I think it would be a good idea for you to set small goals for yourself. And reward yourself for meeting those goals (not with food ;)). Before you know it, your small accomplishments will add up to big ones- and viola! success.

Hang in there and believe in yourself. You did it once, you can do it again!
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    You will not be able to lose the weight until you are ready, physically and emotionally. Most of us who have successfully lost weight did it after we came to the point of "enough is enough" and couldn't stand being overweight anymore. If you are not ready to fully commit to getting rid of the weight for good, then start making small changes until you are ready to truly lose the weight (honesty with yourself is key here). Small changes could be taking a one mile walk daily, or giving up soda, or even just starting to log your food in MFP to be aware of how many calories you are eating on a daily basis.

No one can lose the weight for you and it is a hell of a journey. Your head *has* to be in the game to succeed.

This.
  • Mandily18
    Mandily18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way for a long time. But once I started exercising and losing some serious weight I felt that I had more energy. I didn't realize until I'd lost almost 40 lbs how bad I had actually felt before. I felt so energized and was more than 1/2 way to my goal. I also wanted to be healthier for my daughter, I was feeling bad with high BP, water retention that I should've gotten medical attention for. I realized at 30 years old, my unhealthy lifestyle was going to end up shortening my life. I want to be around as long as possible for her! Then life got so hectic, had a lot of changes at home and over the course of 2 years put back on all the weight and then some. I started again Jan 1 this year. I myself am 5'1" and started at 185. I'm down to 174 and determined to get it all off this time. I want to get down to 130-135. My husband and my dad are both doing this new healty lifestyle with me too. Having the support and everyone in the household on the same page helps tremendously! I am staying away from the word "diet" too. I hate it, diet's don't last. When people ask how I do it, I just say, we had to change the way we eat. We eat healthier and exercise more. With all the fast food and convienience foods out there's it's hard to not be tempted to take the easy way out. It's alot more work to eat healthier and cook meals at home. But the end results are definately worth the work. I tell myself every time I want to cheat.....Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'. Sounds corny but it works for me. I just keep picturing me getting back into my size 3 jeans again!! It sounds like you are just going to have to try different things to find out what is going to be your motivation. Hope you find it!!! Good luck!