What gets on your nerves the most about the boards?

Options

Replies

• LadyFaile
    Options
    For those of you annoyed with newbies (or even oldies) that don't bother with the search function, you can always have fun with www.letmegooglethatforyou.com. For example: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=search+button+site:www.myfitnesspal.com

Oh and I enjoy my wine (or even whine) from time to time too!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    What chaps me is "armchair experts" who refute what I am saying because they think that they know better than my knowledge and experience. I work in nutrition, so every single day is spent devoted to helping people acheive health through nutrition, researching current trends, and counseling folks on proper diet. I would have to say that something that I post coming from my experience in my weight loss progress and my chosen profession have more weight than someone who read a book or website and with inadequate medical and scientific sources.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Body Shamming. You don't see people talking crap about heavy or obese people but I've been seeing it a lot lately directed at thin girls.

This!
  • SharleenY
    Options
    Mine is the fights over eating your exercise calories. If I don't want to eat all of them, I don't need someone preaching to me that it'll be the death of me if I don't. People who have heard of something over and over again, think it's facts, and regurgitate that information without proper research. For example, the concept of "starvation mode." It originated with the Minnesota Starvation Experiment and it's NOT what everyone is thinking where you eat less calories and your body shuts down. This mode is actually eating less than 50% of your normal calories for 6-8 months (we're talking about 500-800 a day), leading to your body wasting away because you can't get calories ANYWHERE (no fat, glucose, ketogenesis, etc etc). This experiment (which wouldn't be ethical today) was trying to mimic extreme famine conditions long-term, not just simply a caloric deficit where you have body fat to lose. So people telling me that if I don't eat my exercise calories for one day will lead my body into "starvation mode" just make me roll my eyes. Because I'm in the science field, people that make claims and expect them to be facts without actual research to back them up drive me insane, which is why I don't read much of the boards. Also, lose/loose is my biggest grammar pet peeve!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Sensitive people need to evacuate the internet.

Um, no, people need to use a little respect and common courtesy. If you (not "you" specifically, but people in general) wouldn't say it in person, why is it ok to say on the internet? I see people write things here that I know they would NEVER dream of saying to someone "in real life." Being behind a computer screen doesn't give people the right to be cruel. My parents taught me the saying that if you don't have something nice to say about someone...don't say anything at all. I'm old school, maybe, but I am really tired of all the judgement and name calling. Not just on MFP, but the internet in general.

And what gets on my nerves about the boards lately...all the threads bashing thin people. It's not ok to bash overweight people, it's not ok to bash thin people. Period.

/end rant.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Wow. I thought this site was pretty tame. It's all sunshine and lollipops compared to some I have seen. There is one forum I go on that is cut throat. Mention you are having an cash bar or having a re-do wedding and it is far worse than any HCG thread I have ever seen. And i am being totally honest here, I did think that people are pretty tame even when they do voice opposite opinions.

As for my pet peeves - I think Sunshine and Servilla covered them. Especially the TOM ones.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Wow. I thought this site was pretty tame. It's all sunshine and lollipops compared to some I have seen. There is one forum I go on that is cut throat. Mention you are having an cash bar or having a re-do wedding and it is far worse than any HCG thread I have ever seen. And i am being totally honest here, I did think that people are pretty tame even when they do voice opposite opinions.

As for my pet peeves - I think Sunshine and Servilla covered them. Especially the TOM ones.

If you've been on wedding forums I know exactly what you mean-- people can be very mean when it comes to weddings, for some reason. Check out apracticalwedding.com if you want to read some very supportive and inspiring wedding posts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Mine is simple............................the words "toned" "toning" "tone" when referring to physique. Muscle gets conditioned and can be "toned up". It's called lifting weights and conditioning, not "toning". And you don't look "toned", you look fit.
    This "tone" thing is just the "feminine" way of saying, "I lift weights to condition the muscle". Semantics, yeah. But it still gets on my nerves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Oh to add:
    The phrases "I want to tone" or "just sayin" lol
    And this is why we are friends!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    People who live in a fantasy world where HCG shots actually does something for weight loss, carbs are evil, you can eat as much protein and fat as you want and not get fat, low carb diets have a metabolic advantage, eating breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism and unicorns and fairies prance around

I love this! ^^
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    People who think Paula Deen was born this way and its not her fault.

:laugh:
    But she's big-boned! :wink:
    Butter has nothing to do with it!
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked too much into it, but one of the professors I work for at the University was talking about the different ways Organic stuff is kept "Organic" and it's safe to say it's not at healthy as one would believe.
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Mine is the fights over eating your exercise calories. If I don't want to eat all of them, I don't need someone preaching to me that it'll be the death of me if I don't. People who have heard of something over and over again, think it's facts, and regurgitate that information without proper research. For example, the concept of "starvation mode." It originated with the Minnesota Starvation Experiment and it's NOT what everyone is thinking where you eat less calories and your body shuts down. This mode is actually eating less than 50% of your normal calories for 6-8 months (we're talking about 500-800 a day), leading to your body wasting away because you can't get calories ANYWHERE (no fat, glucose, ketogenesis, etc etc). This experiment (which wouldn't be ethical today) was trying to mimic extreme famine conditions long-term, not just simply a caloric deficit where you have body fat to lose. So people telling me that if I don't eat my exercise calories for one day will lead my body into "starvation mode" just make me roll my eyes. Because I'm in the science field, people that make claims and expect them to be facts without actual research to back them up drive me insane, which is why I don't read much of the boards. Also, lose/loose is my biggest grammar pet peeve!

I totally agree with you. It is not necessary to eat those calories. If you don't want to eat them, you don't have to eat them!
  • SIGP229
    SIGP229 Posts: 17
    Options
    What chaps me is "armchair experts" who refute what I am saying because they think that they know better than my knowledge and experience. I work in nutrition, so every single day is spent devoted to helping people acheive health through nutrition, researching current trends, and counseling folks on proper diet. I would have to say that something that I post coming from my experience in my weight loss progress and my chosen profession have more weight than someone who read a book or website and with inadequate medical and scientific sources.

I find this hilarious since the "armchair experts" are the ones posting peer-reviewed research and you, in turn, consider your "references" to be lay-websites and BB.com.

LULZ.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I haven't looked too much into it, but one of the professors I work for at the University was talking about the different ways Organic stuff is kept "Organic" and it's safe to say it's not at healthy as one would believe.

I wouldn't be surprised! I try to buy more organic food, but the other day, I was about to eat my organic cauliflower and found dozens of grey little bugs! Yes alive!!! Because there is no pesticide, fungicide and all, bugs are more prone to live in organic food.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be surprised! I try to buy more organic food, but the other day, I was about to eat my organic cauliflower and found dozens of grey little bugs! Yes alive!!! Because there is no pesticide, fungicide and all, bugs are more prone to live in organic food.

At least they can say their cauliflower has protein!!
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, Some people can be real jerks on here. :indifferent:
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    It's funny how 90% of the rude people are dudes showing their abs in their profile pictures.....MFP is very similar to FB...
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    It's funny how 90% of the rude people are dudes showing their abs in their profile pictures.....MFP is very similar to FB...

^^^ this totally. Apparently bullies rule the internet too. It's the new playground, kids.
  • sunflowerhcb
    Options
    oh I love wine!!!!