How often do you eat fast food?

Options
123457»

Replies

• rheiah
    rheiah Posts: 84
    Options
    I don't. I never really have, surprisingly.

I credit my mum with that - we always had home-cooked meals for lunch & dinner. Having a pizza for example was a very rare treat.
    Plus I love to cook & know what goes into my food.
  • lilvixen84
    Options
    Every sunday as a treat to myself for being good the rest of the week. i try and stick within my goal though :bigsmile:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I don't. I never really have, surprisingly.

I credit my mum with that - we always had home-cooked meals for lunch & dinner. Having a pizza for example was a very rare treat.
    Plus I love to cook & know what goes into my food.

I think that is a good point. We never ever ate out when I was a child, McDonalds wasn't on our radar, so for me it never has been. I have never taken my children to one and never intend to. I think if you grow up having fast food "as a treat" you develop the mindset that it IS a treat, whereas I think it's gross.
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food 1 or 2 times a week at the most. Sometimes i'll go weeks without fast good. It's amazing how much better I feel and money i've saved. A few years back i ate it all the time for lunch and sometimes dinner if i were busy and i was blowing through money like nobody's business. Luckily I don't like french fries so i only order the entre. My weakness is a chicken biscuit from Hardee's in the mornings after work and I just found out they are 500 cals! So I am taking that out of my diet now.
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I follow the principle 6 good days and one cheat day a week. I don't go to fast food places every week, but I don't feel like I'm on on diet when I can look forward to having something like pizza once a week.

I also try to make sure I work out on the day following my cheat day.

As you can see on the ticker below, the cheat day hasn't hurt my progress.
  • carrieann1967
    carrieann1967 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We have had a family indian takeaway every friday evening for years and I'm not changing that. I've just changed my Passanda and chips to a Shashlik and salad, so I've halved the calories I used to have. We always have a desert too such as a cheesecake, I am still looking for a low calorie tasty desert that I can have, (but not just fruit as its our treat night). Any ideas?
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    not since I started this life style change 11 months ago. dont miss it in the least. can make the same stuff at home only healthier
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I actually can't remember the last time I had a fast food burger, though about once a month we have home made ones with oven chips. A takeaway pizza also once a month, perhaps. Stumbling home with a kebab or Chinese? Even got past that (though a grilled chicken shish and salad is pretty darn healthy and a great choice in an emergency). I don't really count fish and chips as fast food as it's all fresh and battered and fried to order, but that's so expensive now it's a treat perhaps every couple of months.

I'm a firm believer in the 80/20 rule. Eat healthily 80% of the time and the 20% make it enjoyable and sustainable.
  • tegsa
    tegsa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know fast food isn't the best food out there, so if I crave it, I watch videos like this: http://youtu.be/4IGtDPG4UfI
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Very rarely. As a vegetarian and extremely fussy eater I'm fortunate enough to not like takeaways other than vege delite subway which I only get when I'm hungry and not at home.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I actually go to restuarants and fast food places most days - but its for practical reasons.
    My daughter travels to work with me for her school, we travel early to avoid the crowds on the trains, It wouldn't be fair to get her up earlier than I do now (she isn't 5 yet!) so we have breakfast once we arrive in london.
    Our usual breakfast is porridge from mcdonalds - an occasional treat of pancakes, or a sandwich from a cafe as you can't always
    have the same breakfast day after day.
    In the summer months when its warm enough to sit out side we take our own breakfast cereal and have that in the parks.

We had a friend who always comes to visit on a wed evening and he always buys a takeaway - it won't be happening much from now on as he has just become a daddy to twin girls.
    The main difference is choices - i prefer plain boiled rice over fried rice. and what we order now does two evening meals not just one.
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to eat it almost every day, which is how I gained most of my weight :frown:
    Now, I only eat it if I have no other choice. Which is, on average, once a month. Even then, I will always opt for the healthiest option available and look up the calories beforehand.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food weekly and am feeling great, lab work is great, fat percentage is in the lean range. I've reached my original weight loss goals and have set it just a few pounds beyond. I eat a lot of whole and natural foods as well. I do usually choose the healthier options but on a rare occasion go with something less health friendly. When I began this lifestyle change, I tried to evaluate how I wanted to change my habits, determine what changes would reasonably fit into my life, and to form new habits that I knew I could live with as well as live longer doing. Balance for me is the key. Everyone is entitiled to make the decision for their own bodies/lifestyles. Making sure it's a decision and not following an impulsive moment has been an accomplishment for me.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    never, I am a vegetarian and I don't eat gluten so that leaves fast food completely out of the picture for me. I actually like to make my own food so I know what is in it.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Very rarely! I do go out for Mexican with my husband every 2 weeks or so, and we'll have a date night out at a restaurant about that often... but actual fast food, I can't even remember the last time I had it. Over a month ago? I went 3-4 months at one point.