Successful MFPals-what's your BEST advice for newbies?

Options
13»

Replies

• IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing =)
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Patience, patience and more patience. Hard work, sweat, determination not to let yourself fail, and discipline. Honesty, honesty, and more honesty. No excuses, sweat and more sweat. Confidence that you CAN and WILL succeed. No gym membership required. Any exercise that makes your heart pound and makes you sweat like a pig is a good one. Log your foods no matter how small. Plain and simple.

And last, support. There is a ton of it here. The best in my opinion.

It worked for me. Seven months ago (39years old), I was 40 pounds overweight, lazy, out of shape and a heavy smoker. Today, BMI 22, non-smoker, love exercising, mountain biking, wearing the same size I did in high school and in the best shape of my life!! Too bad I had towait to 40 to do it.

If I can do it, anyone can!!
  • duckle777
    duckle777 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this topic!
  • Abk2bhealthy
    Abk2bhealthy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the advice.:flowerforyou:
  • michfitzhome
    michfitzhome Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    great thread. i am just trying to get motivated, i just do not want to do it.
  • lessthantres
    lessthantres Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for this input! I needed this. I'm not a very patient person and have a hard time waiting for results. I'm now trying to take it day by day.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Don't become too obsessed with seeing immediate results. Weightloss is a slow process and it takes time. Be patient and never give up. If something didn't go right one week, make some changes and keep going. Doing the same thing over and over will yield results for only so long so keep switching things up.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Motivation and will power are NOT easy to come by. You have to search your soul each morning to find them.
  • Kellyh01
    Kellyh01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Your #3 is probably the best advice. For me, I can't make a 180-type switch. I start by changing nothing in my diet, but just logging everything I eat. It makes me aware of how much I am actually eating, and I can see where I can make a small, do-able change. ex: cut the amount of salad dressing in half, or have scrambled eggs but leave off the melted cheese. I have kids, so seeing in black and white how many calories I was eating by finishing off their plates was eye-opening. I lost 50 pounds last year by changing things very gradually. After a week of just logging food, my first calorie goal was 2,200. That was easy to do and not feel deprived, so then I lowered it to 2000, then 1700, then 1500. This was over the course of a couple months. Nov. and Dec. I stopped using mfp and gained 15 pounds. Now I'm back to logging (and losing) again. If I have a cheat type treat and log it, it is easier to stop with that one thing, rather than toss in the towel for the whole day. I'd rather be 300 calories over my goal at the end of the day than 1300 calories over. Log every bite you take! Awareness is key for me.