Your body's thoughts on calories

Options
banks1850
banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
Well, I have recently seen many people questioning the idea of eating your goal calories and/or eating exercise calories so I thought I would offer up a quick reminder for both the newbies on here who are confused about caloric intake and some of our more seasoned members who may have forgotten. I'll be as brief as possible. (sorry if this gets long, I'll break it up to make it easier to read)

1)
Every single person on here loses weight differently, but there are a few common factors everyone. The first is that we all have a metabolism, governed by how much energy we give it, how active we are, genetic makeup, and the type of energy we give it. With that in mind MFP has a relatively easy to use goals calculator that will give you the amount of food you should eat to lose the weight you desire and become more healthy.

2)
The relationship to your BMI (as flawed as that measurement is) and how much you can lose is real and governs much of your weight loss. People with a BMI over 30 (classified as obese) can lose weight faster then people that are under that number (generally speaking, see number 1) 2 lbs a week or more is realistic for obese people. Trying to lose 2 lbs a week for someone with a BMI under 30 is much more difficult, as well as much more time consuming.

3)
Starvation mode is REAL. It can and does happen. You should keep close tabs on where your BMR calories is. If you are under the obesity level then please try to stay (at a minimum) at your BMR. The goals calculator WILL account for weight you want to lose, don't think you can up the stakes by eating less, it doesn't work. And if you exercise, realize that you are creating a larger deficite, and make sure you eat your exercise calories.

4)
(This is one I see all the time) If you are close (say within 25 lbs or so) of your goal weight, 2 lbs a week is probably unrealistic. The human body knows where it's equalibrium is, attempting to go below it is a difficult, and frustrating process, 2 lbs a week (what ever you may think) is a drastic strategy for someone near their goal and usually doesn't happen. As you approach your goals, slow down your attempt at loss, try for 1 lb a week or less, it will give your body time to adjust it's chemistry more gradually, keep you healthy, and lessen your frustration.

5)
1200 calories is a number that doctors and nutritionists have made up based on averages. It's not a line in the sand. Your starvation calories depends on your body. For me that line is somewhere around 2000 calories, for a really small woman, it could be 1000, Generally it's somewhere around 1000 calories less then your maintenance weight. But being dynamic systems, some of our bodies can tolerate more or less. Be smart about your weight loss, use your common sense, if you're not losing weight and your at or below a 1000 calorie deficite, then think logically and up your calories a little, and keep upping them until you see improvement.

6)
Lastly, the human body has a 5 lb swing daily. That means that on any given 24 hour period yo can go from 5 lbs above your "real" weight to 5 lbs below. Due to water weight, and waste we can swing quite a bit. The scale is a generalist at best, good for an Idea of where you are, but not very good at calculating exact measurements. I generally recommend weighing yourself no more then once every 2 weeks, at the same time, same day every week. Use other measurements along with this, I.E. size measurments, Body Fat %, and over all fitness level to make up the difference.

NOTE: I'm not a doctor or a certified nutritionist, but I have done a large amount of research on this, and have spoken with my doctor and 2 separate nutritionists on this topic. NONE of which has ever recommended a 2 lb a week weight loss without doctor supervision. Even after direct questioning about this they all agreed that 2 lbs a week is an EXTREME stragegy and, for most people who are in the healthy BMI range, an unrealistic goal to set (with some obvious exceptions, like an extremely large person overall)

I hope this clears some stuff up. also see Viviakay's post on general caloric intake, it pretty much says all there is to say about this.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

Replies

• banks1850
    Options
    Well, I have recently seen many people questioning the idea of eating your goal calories and/or eating exercise calories so I thought I would offer up a quick reminder for both the newbies on here who are confused about caloric intake and some of our more seasoned members who may have forgotten. I'll be as brief as possible. (sorry if this gets long, I'll break it up to make it easier to read)

1)
    Every single person on here loses weight differently, but there are a few common factors everyone. The first is that we all have a metabolism, governed by how much energy we give it, how active we are, genetic makeup, and the type of energy we give it. With that in mind MFP has a relatively easy to use goals calculator that will give you the amount of food you should eat to lose the weight you desire and become more healthy.

2)
    The relationship to your BMI (as flawed as that measurement is) and how much you can lose is real and governs much of your weight loss. People with a BMI over 30 (classified as obese) can lose weight faster then people that are under that number (generally speaking, see number 1) 2 lbs a week or more is realistic for obese people. Trying to lose 2 lbs a week for someone with a BMI under 30 is much more difficult, as well as much more time consuming.

3)
    Starvation mode is REAL. It can and does happen. You should keep close tabs on where your BMR calories is. If you are under the obesity level then please try to stay (at a minimum) at your BMR. The goals calculator WILL account for weight you want to lose, don't think you can up the stakes by eating less, it doesn't work. And if you exercise, realize that you are creating a larger deficite, and make sure you eat your exercise calories.

4)
    (This is one I see all the time) If you are close (say within 25 lbs or so) of your goal weight, 2 lbs a week is probably unrealistic. The human body knows where it's equalibrium is, attempting to go below it is a difficult, and frustrating process, 2 lbs a week (what ever you may think) is a drastic strategy for someone near their goal and usually doesn't happen. As you approach your goals, slow down your attempt at loss, try for 1 lb a week or less, it will give your body time to adjust it's chemistry more gradually, keep you healthy, and lessen your frustration.

5)
    1200 calories is a number that doctors and nutritionists have made up based on averages. It's not a line in the sand. Your starvation calories depends on your body. For me that line is somewhere around 2000 calories, for a really small woman, it could be 1000, Generally it's somewhere around 1000 calories less then your maintenance weight. But being dynamic systems, some of our bodies can tolerate more or less. Be smart about your weight loss, use your common sense, if you're not losing weight and your at or below a 1000 calorie deficite, then think logically and up your calories a little, and keep upping them until you see improvement.

6)
    Lastly, the human body has a 5 lb swing daily. That means that on any given 24 hour period yo can go from 5 lbs above your "real" weight to 5 lbs below. Due to water weight, and waste we can swing quite a bit. The scale is a generalist at best, good for an Idea of where you are, but not very good at calculating exact measurements. I generally recommend weighing yourself no more then once every 2 weeks, at the same time, same day every week. Use other measurements along with this, I.E. size measurments, Body Fat %, and over all fitness level to make up the difference.

NOTE: I'm not a doctor or a certified nutritionist, but I have done a large amount of research on this, and have spoken with my doctor and 2 separate nutritionists on this topic. NONE of which has ever recommended a 2 lb a week weight loss without doctor supervision. Even after direct questioning about this they all agreed that 2 lbs a week is an EXTREME stragegy and, for most people who are in the healthy BMI range, an unrealistic goal to set (with some obvious exceptions, like an extremely large person overall)

I hope this clears some stuff up. also see Viviakay's post on general caloric intake, it pretty much says all there is to say about this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • lorelai63
    lorelai63 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Great information Banks! Lets do the BUMP!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Preach it, Brother Banks.

Preach it.

Mangia, mangia, mangia! (the right things in sensible portions spaced out over your day according to your needs. . .sorry. . .couldn't do the whole thing in Italian.):flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Mangia = eat, for those that don't know.

Thanks banks.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    :smile:
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    All good stuff Banks! Thanks!

I know, I have to re-program myself soon! I have been losing so well since September BUT my BMI has gone from 45 to 33! Soooo, I know very soon my losses will probably start to slow. Drat!! LOL!!

I mean, it's GOOD that my BMI is so much lower and getting lower every week, but these steady 2-3 lb losses have been wonderful!

The way I think about it, is that my BMI and higher weight allowed me to get the really un-healthy, un-needed weight off my body QUICK! I went from 270 to 199 (as of last Thursday) in just a few months just because my body was just SO weighed down and jumped to attention the second I started to treat it right! But, as I get closer and closer to a healthy weight, I know my body isn't going to let go as easily.

Oh well!!!
    Tami
  • banks1850
    Options

I know, I have to re-program myself soon! I have been losing so well since September BUT my BMI has gone from 45 to 33! Soooo, I know very soon my losses will probably start to slow. Drat!! LOL!!

I mean, it's GOOD that my BMI is so much lower and getting lower every week, but these steady 2-3 lb losses have been wonderful!

The way I think about it, is that my BMI and higher weight allowed me to get the really un-healthy, un-needed weight off my body QUICK! I went from 270 to 199 (as of last Thursday) in just a few months just because my body was just SO weighed down and jumped to attention the second I started to treat it right! But, as I get closer and closer to a healthy weight, I know my body isn't going to let go as easily.

Oh well!!!
    Tami

Good work! Think of the slowerer weight loss as a badge of honor! :tongue:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I learned a lot reading this thread, thanks for the info Banks!
  • banks1850
    Options
    I just BUMPed my self.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    :tongue:
  • banks1850
    Options

Oh well!!!
    Tami

So true tam, and That is so awesome on your great progress. You've lost an 11 year old boy from your body! How cool is that. Will it slow down? Sure it will, but you'll be so busy telling guys "My eyes are up here!" you won't even notice! :wink:
  • rissa1322
    rissa1322 Posts: 107
    Options
    Banks

So I took your advise. I am wanting to lose 10-15 pds. and since starting in November i have lost one gained two, lost two gained one.. or some variation.. basically im in the same boat as when i started.
    When i started i said i wanted to lose 2 pds a week ..

so i changed it today.... and i am shooting for 1pd a week.. it gave me a good 200 more calories to eat a day.. lets hope this shows some changes....

thanks!
  • banks1850
    Options
    Banks

So I took your advise. I am wanting to lose 10-15 pds. and since starting in November i have lost one gained two, lost two gained one.. or some variation.. basically im in the same boat as when i started.
    When i started i said i wanted to lose 2 pds a week ..

so i changed it today.... and i am shooting for 1pd a week.. it gave me a good 200 more calories to eat a day.. lets hope this shows some changes....

thanks!

Good luck, keep us updated! :happy:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    GREAT INFO BANKS:flowerforyou: :drinker:
    As always!! How is that 30 degree weather. 75 here today.:laugh:
  • banks1850
    Options

You're evil. Actually it's not bad today, about 45 or so and sunny. Atleast I can throw a baseball today.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't you be OUTSIDE enjoying that weather???!!:noway:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I live in New England too and the thing about this time of year is you have to seriously layer every time you leave the house. It is chilly first thing in the morning but around mid-day it will have warmed up enough to be pleasant. So you can't dress to light or too heavy. I cannot wait until it hits a steady 65 during the day!!! LOL!

Then we get to look forward to the humidity!!!

Sorry for complaining so much but it just seems like there is such a small window where the weather in this area is PERFECT. Like high 70's and no humidity.
  • banks1850
    Options
    I live in New England too and the thing about this time of year is you have to seriously layer every time you leave the house. It is chilly first thing in the morning but around mid-day it will have warmed up enough to be pleasant. So you can't dress to light or too heavy. I cannot wait until it hits a steady 65 during the day!!! LOL!

Then we get to look forward to the humidity!!!

Sorry for complaining so much but it just seems like there is such a small window where the weather in this area is PERFECT. Like high 70's and no humidity.

No need to remind me. You haven't felt humidity until you have pitched the first game of a double header in late August with it at 97 or 98 degrees and 85% humidity. 2 hours of strenuous, tiring, dusty, sweaty, rash inducing, sunburned nastyness. And then having to play center field for the second game. That's the worst part, the second game.
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I thought i'd chip in!!

Well, since being on here from Oct I have lost 57lbs at a steady pace of 2lbs a week (which is what i typed into mfp) my bmi has gone from 37 to 27!!! :noway:

I still have 28lbs to go and a couple of weeks ago i came to a standstill! :grumble:
    I knew what i had to do....~(because of all the posts on here!)....i changed my goal to 1lb a week!
    I don't know how its going yet but i sure am enjoying the extra calories!

I am happy with my weight loss so far and even beginning to like my body :noway: so i am not too bothered that the last lot of weight is going to take a while to come off.

Lets celebrate our successes!!

Cheers for the post banks! :drinker: