When do you stop eating?

Options

Replies

• SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on when you go to bed...I cannot go to sleep with anything on the stomach it hurts...I just dont eat 3 hrs before I sleep..I work 11-8 and I stop eating anywhere from 630-7....I think it matters but this doesn't applies to everyone..
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    It only matters if you personally experience problems sleeping if you eat close to bed time. If it doesn't bother you in terms of sleeping habits/preferences, eat at whatever time you like. I often don't have dinner until fairly late, and I also continue snacking right up until bedtime. It hasn't hurt my weightloss. Calories at 11pm are worth exactly the same amount as the same calories at 5 pm. :-)

ETA: the whole 'don't eat after 7' thing is probably just an easy way to get people to stop gorging on snacks while sitting in front of the TV. You know, people that want to lose weight but either don't know about calorie deficits or just don't care to count calories. Helps keep them from consuming all those extra snack calories that may have been hurting their efforts before. But for someone who is tracking calories diligently and is aware of their limits, timing does not matter as long as you budget your evening calories into your day just like you budget all your other food into your day. If it fits into your daily goal, eat it whenever you like. :-)

^^^this all the way. I lost all my weight and am currently under my goal weight having NEVER ONCE worried about the time of day that I'm eating. It really doesn't matter unless it's going to interfere with your sleeping habits, lead to evening binging, or be a medical concern (like my mom who has a heartburn issue that is exacerbated when eating too close to lying down to go to sleep)
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I sleep much better when I don't have a full stomach and I don't believe anyone can sleep well while feeling overstuffed. I like to dream and I don't dream as much on a full belly either.

I follow the 3 to 4 hour rule that yo use see in a lot of systems, and I stop eating sometime between 8 to 9pm with a bedtime of midnight. It works well for me.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Just use common sense. Not trying to be smart. If your goal is truly to lose weight and stay fit obviously eating too late at night or too much is counter productive to what you are trying to accomplish. I try to eat large meals by 7/8 p.m. and cut-off all eating by 9 p.m. It is not a hard and fast rule but one I try to follow. Bottom line is whatever works best for you.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Just use common sense. Not trying to be smart. If your goal is truly to lose weight and stay fit obviously eating too late at night or too much is counter productive to what you are trying to accomplish. I try to eat large meals by 7/8 p.m. and cut-off all eating by 9 p.m. It is not a hard and fast rule but one I try to follow. Bottom line is whatever works best for you.

Just curious why eating late at night is obviously counter productive?
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    you stop eating when you die
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When I have no more calories left in my day.
  • ohnogogo
    ohnogogo Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I go to bed around midnight-1:00am so I try not to eat past 9:00pm. What I need to get better at is to get most, if not all, of my carbs in earlier in the day.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    When I run out of food! LOL!:drinker:
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm not.

^^^ This!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm not.
    ^^^^^^
    THIS!

Don't get so hung up on times and such.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Just curious why eating late at night is obviously counter productive?

It isn't. When you eat doesn't matter. You actually digest better when sleeping, as the body can divert more energy to the digestive system to work more efficiently than it can when you are awake.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant :)
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    When she begs me too :wink:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    When she begs me too :wink:

huh. it took longer then normal for a thread to get dirty.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    When I'm full.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    When my doctor told me I had acid reflux he recommended me not to eat after 7..
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    When food begins to erupt from my esophagus. :wink:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    When you eat doesn't matter. It's just how much.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I"m full :drinker: