not counting drinking calories

Options

Replies

• PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Let me put it this way...when I quite drinking 7 days a week....I lost 16 pounds and didn't work out a day........it adds up huge.....log it and you will see.....Alcohol is one of those silent calories that you don't think is taking a toll......
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It never occurred to me not to log them. Even if I went out and got stupid on a Friday night, I log it.... embarrassing as it may be.

Man I'm right there with you! There were times when I thought, oh man this is gonna suck! But at least it has taught me and my beau how to have a good time without breaking the bank everytime (caloric and $$)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I usually don't count them because I know the calories add up fast and I figure I'm already over my limit. It's a pretty infrequent thing for me to do these days though, so I don't think it's a huge deal though. Going out for drinks is a treat for me to indulge in, so I do it guilt free. If it was an every week thing though, I would probably count them since that can have an impact on your weight loss overall.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my mouth from my food, drink, coffee creamer and even meds.

Meds?

I wasn't aware meds had calories. I've seen some log in vitamins, which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, either. Hubby and I like to drink wine, so I cut down during the day to enjoy our wine in the evening. Please, don't drink and drive. My other (step) daughter was hit head on 2 years ago by a drunk driver, and still has physical problems.

Some meds, depending on what you take, will have calories. They can also have sodium, fats, and fiber in them. I log my vitamins because I'm trying to make sure I get enough of certain nutrients. However, if you say, take a fish oil supplement, it has calories AND fats, and even though it's small, should be counted if you're strict about it.
    Sometimes you can also determine what's causing stomach upsets and other side effects if you track what you take and what you eat. To each their own. I don't want to display my pharma routine to everyone but you all can see my Natural Made multi-vitamin, sure!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my mouth from my food, drink, coffee creamer and even meds.

Meds?

I wasn't aware meds had calories. I've seen some log in vitamins, which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, either. Hubby and I like to drink wine, so I cut down during the day to enjoy our wine in the evening. Please, don't drink and drive. My other (step) daughter was hit head on 2 years ago by a drunk driver, and still has physical problems.

i even count my supplements and vitamins.. i was amazed to find out how much sodium was in one supplement i was taking, so i quickly found something else with a far healthier level to take...

bottom line is... all calories count, regardless of their source.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, calories are calories. They count if they come in drinks, too. I'd personally go for a vodka tonic with a splash of lime to keep it low-cal. The next day, you will probably weigh less due to dehydration, but don't be fooled. Count those calories so you don't have to feel bad about them!

Tonic has calorties but soda does not. You could have a lower calorie drink with Vodka soda with lime. But I LOVE tonic!
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You should count the drinking calories if aren't losing weight. I drink alot of my calories away too...not good cause you end up being hungry later.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It's like not counting calories that come from butter. :huh:
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time I don't log my drinking calories either...When I do [I normally just have rum or vodka shots] I end up being like HOLY CRAP. Not the best thing but eh
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    Of course you need to count alcohol calories (worthless kind of calories... ugh), I log gum, everything. I didn't know meds had calories too though. Ouch.
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Options
  • pamollygram
    Options
    well this is my opinion... drinking calories put on weight but you are right you have to eat. you can't not eat and then drink so I would just drink alot of water that day and the next day and exercise more so you can drink the calories you exercised..... when I used to go to LA weight loss they told me to drink my drink what ever it was and alternate my drink and a glass of water then a drink then a glass of water. it helps with the dehydration that makes you retain water and gain weight... hope this helps.
  • marsts
    marsts Posts: 85
    Options
    personally i dont log my calories. but if i know im drinking id amp up my workout, and the other days of the week just subtract 150 from your daily total. so if you can eat 1200 cals a day, on top of say 500 calories burned, if you eat exercise calories just only eat 1500 instead of the full 1700. times that by 6 - then that gives you 1200 calories to splurge on drinking.

or likei said just amp up your workout the week of, so instead of burning only 400 calories, aim to burn 600 without eating back the 200 calories. that way the calories you save from not eating back the exercise calories can help towards all the calories you gain fromdrinking.
  • emerg1288
    Options
    I def feel your pain on this one! I'm at a point in my life where I still go out most weekends and drink, yet I still want to lose weight. I've found it works best to save a few hundred calories to use towards alcohol...I still try to eat normal meals on the days I go out, but I just work out extra hard that day so I have some extra calories leftover. Also don't go for beer, I feel like it has the most calories per volume of alcohol and is just a waste. I usually either drink red wine (antioxidants, anyone?) or mixed drinks with a non-calorie mixer (like rum & diet). Yes, I know drinking isn't healthy, but right now I feel like I'm young and don't really have the responsibility of a family, so enjoy I will enjoy it while I can! Just make sure you don't binge eat while you drink, I feel like that's my biggest downfall. If I can avoid the binge eating, I find I can still lose weight while enjoying a few drinks ;)

Yess!!! thank you!!!
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Alcohol Calories are empty calories and must be counted. Any other drinks add to the Calorie intake and must be counted!
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I count them so it helps motivate me to work out! I want those calories back!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

Meds?

Yeah my allergy meds, vitamins and supplements and acid reflux meds... My vitamin and my Ester C each have a few calories and carbs...
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

Meds?

My multi and ester c have about 15 calories each and a few carbs (I think).. I log them, figured it wouldn't hurt..
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    question to everyone - I go out drinking with my friends friday and saturday nights and dont ever count the alcohol calories, do you think this is really bad? I just eat my normal calories during the day and then drink without thinking of those calories because i dont want to drink without eating just because of calories. .. what do you guys think?

I have done that in the past, however, since I started this diet (from 1st January 2012), I have been logging my booze at weekends.

You have to watch the drink actually, some of it can be high in calories, which is a bit of a pity, because I do like a tipple or seventeen when I go out! :frown:
  • amezeez
    amezeez Posts: 26
    Options
    Alcohol is nothing but empty calories. How many drinks do you have on the weekend? I do love wine, but I work out extra & take in tons of water if I'm going to drink that day & I've cut down to a couple times a month-2-3 glasses in one night max. I gained weight when I had more than that 'cuz I would pig out on snacks too much when drinking. :-]