how to sucessfully maintain a 1200 cal. diet

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.2 and if I want to loose weight I have to stick to close to 1200 calories a day to loose 0.9 pounds per week. If I exercise, I eat back some of my calories if I am hungry. I loose about 3 pounds a month.

with only 5 lbs to go a 0.9 lb/week weight loss is too aggressive. Try switching your goal to 0.5lbs/week, this should give you about 200 more cals/day, and is a healthier goal given your ultimate goal.
  • dorbell
    dorbell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A cup of oatmeal (mix of rolled and steel cut) most mornings for me slathered with 1/4 cup Greek yogurt and natural zero cal Truvia sweetening.This high soluble fiber meal really fills me up, is YUMMY, (and is great for lowering cholesterol. I cook a big pot each week and then microwave a bowl each morning. Or a mix of high fiber cereals with Stonyfield 1% milk (creamier tastings than other 1% milks for some reason).

2-3 fruits a day, including an apple (another filling soluble fiber food) and veggies, including filling mini carrots with lunch, usually a Boca veggie burger and high fiber english muffin, or a huge plate of scrambled eggs (1 egg, 1 liquid egg white, and a mess of mushrooms/peppers/onions). GOOD fats - a tsp or two of olive or canola oil, and I package 1/2 ounce servings of lightly salted almonds in tiny mesh tie bags and keep them in my cookie jar - have 1 or 2 a day as needed. Good for portion control, easy to throw in my pocket, great monosaturated fat for cholesterol, too.

When I want a wine or special treat (or when I go to parties), I eat some exercise calories so I can keep all 1200 cals for nutritional and filling foods only. I'm rarely hungry. Joined a gym for strength training and cardio in addition to walking most days.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Using the Intelligent Fasting method, my misses keeps her weight under 9 stone (usually 122lb, slightly over on cheat meal day) simply by fasting for 16 hours in a day and in an 8 hour window before bed eats. She eats around 1200 cals per day.

These are pictures from towards to the end of last year - she's about 8lb lighter now but you get the idea:

387582_10150390219528848_570723847_8470460_1723854530_n.jpg

Weight loss is easy, its simply eating the right foods and not eating junk. Crap in = crap out.
  • trea16
    trea16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I didnt know that I could eat those cals. back after exercise. This might help out quite a bit.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Me :) I am on 1200 calories till I hit a plateau then I'll up it... Feel free to add me :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It is my motivation to exercise. The more I get, the more I can eat. :)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I didnt know that I could eat those cals. back after exercise. This might help out quite a bit.

Eating exercise calories back doesn't work for everyone. I get a lot of people suggest it and so does MFP, but for me it never has worked, I always gain when I try to eat them back. Each person is different, so my advice is to play with it and find out what works best for you. Every time I've tried to eat more then 1200 I've gained as well, again I had to play with it.
  • inuit
    inuit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do within reason, been doing it for about 3 months now. I found it really hard to start with as i did not reduce it down slowly, so not only did i cut out all the stuff i loved to eat, but halved my intake. Stupid really, but fortunatly i was so focused i stuck with it, but the slow steady approach is far better.

After a couple of weeks i got into the swing of it. It is finding a level of what you like, mixed in with really healthy stuff. I eat a lot of chicken and veg and throw in upto 200 calories of bad stuff, such as chocolate etc if i want it.

I aim for the 1200 net a day if i do not exercise and upto 1400 net if i exercise. 1200 on days i work out just is not enough, i can really feel it in my legs (i only work out lightly at the minute) but the big thing for me is not feeling guilty if am under or over on a day, i use 1200 to aim for, it is not a golden rule that you must stick to.

Once i have lost another 14lbs i am upping mine as i hope to be a lot fitter and will do more exercise and will want to build muscle, so i do not see it as a long term for life figure.

1200 just does not work for everyone, but it is a place to start, take a few weeks to figure it out, once you get it right you will be dropping pounds. If need to be at 1600 what does it matter if you are losing weight.

Allow yourself a while to figure out what you want and like to eat, what you can and cannot leave out . Try new stuff, found a love of a couple of veggies and a few other things i would not have normally eaten. Now a fan of celeraic.

Take your time and enjoy the process, if you do not enjoy it you wont stick to it.
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting....love to see the comments!!

Thanks!
  • erickirb
    Options

Eating exercise calories back doesn't work for everyone. I get a lot of people suggest it and so does MFP, but for me it never has worked, I always gain when I try to eat them back. Each person is different, so my advice is to play with it and find out what works best for you. Every time I've tried to eat more then 1200 I've gained as well, again I had to play with it.

Actually it works for everyone who does not have a slow metabolism or thyroid issue. Most likely the issue with it not working is you are either over estimating your calories burned (not using a HRM), or under estimating what you actually ate (not measuring liquids and weighing solid foods) Other than that, you must eat them back to meet your goal deficit.
  • BelleEns
    BelleEns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have gotten into the habit of being super healthy during the day- Lunch is rarely more than 300 cals- And having a proper dinner with my family. I think it is about habits- I don't have cheesy meals, no bread during the week (it bloats me but I love it!) and changing family meals from pasta and creamy curry to soup and stews.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

Actually it works for everyone who does not have a slow metabolism or thyroid issue. Most likely the issue with it not working is you are either over estimating your calories burned (not using a HRM), or under estimating what you actually ate (not measuring liquids and weighing solid foods) Other than that, you must eat them back to meet your goal deficit.

Or she could be gaining muscle.

If I had to eat 1200 a day and could not eat back my exercise calories, I would not exercise. :D
  • erickirb
    Options

Or she could be gaining muscle.

If I had to eat 1200 a day and could not eat back my exercise calories, I would not exercise. :D

No, would not be muscle. Muscle needs a caloric surplus to build, unless someone is new to lifting or obese, you will not gian muscle in a deficit.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    On the days I don't exercise it's not hard. I generally don't buy junk so there's nothing to snack on. I try to have breakfast under 200 calories, lunch ~400, and dinner ~600 (sometime's I don't eat dinner all at once...I'll eat a salad or something and then start cooking the meat later). That way you have energy to start of your day, you can squat lots of veggies in 400 calories to get your vitamins, and you have the more filling stuff for supper so there's less chance of snacks.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at 1,200 - 1,350 as I get my best results. I did spend a month eating 1,800 per day though. I wish I had a clear cut way to stay there (1,200) but I just truly watch what I eat and I have learned to grab things that are going to make me full.

Richgreen, as a guy do you find a 1200 cal diet works? No issues with plateaus or slower metabolism?
    Just interested as most men are not recommended below 1500 (girls get 1200). I am on about a similar level and struggling to eat more than 1200 now...

Erickirb makes a good point but I am eating v healthy and a few nutrient supplements getting all the nutrients I need.

I did the 1,200 calories for the majority of my weightloss. the weight fell off like mad. but I lost an incredible amount of strength and muscle. Now its a battle to overcome that. I am 6 ft tall and went from 235 to 165 and still had 20% body fat when done. towards the end, I discovered that once my body got used to more calories ( I gain 3-5 lbs for about 10 days everytime I bump up) I can still lose 1.5 lbs a week on 1800 - 2000 calories a day.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump to read later ;)
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1,200 calorie diet since August. At first it was tough but once I got my head around eating the right things, it hasn't been difficult. I don't eat back my exercise calories because I have so much to lose.

Feel free to check out my diary and friend me. :flowerforyou:

Sláinte
  • StephanieStarke
    Options
    You don't have to. For most people that are on 1200 cals, it is not the best intake for them, most chose a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive. Here is a guide for setting weekly deficits, and on top of this when you workout you should eat those calories back. So if you are on 1200 cals and burn 300, you should eat 1500 for the day.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    nope - I desperately need to work out daily to gain extra calories to eat otherwise it's a loosing battle!! :sad:
  • cocoavery20
    Options
    After reading this article, I didn't know either you could eat the cal. back. This should help me out a lot. I was trying to burn all my cal. that I ate for the day and then extra cal. to burn 3500cal. a week. Maybe this will help my dieting issues.