Do you consider this exercise?

Options

Replies

• HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I log everything I do because 90% of the time I'm sitting on my *kitten* in front of my laptop (like right now). I log SHOPPING, DRIVING (sometimes), WALKING.

Every been shopping for 3 hours at a time walking around in circles because the Paper Products are on the complete opposite side of the store than the Hardware section. Or Dairy isn't as close as you would like to the Frozen Food Section. And god forbid you forget someone and end up having to walk all the way back to the back of the store only to realize they are out of stock on that item.

Maybe that's just me. Still, I don't care if anyone "laughs" at me. Cause the more they laugh at me the more I realize they're spending too much time worrying what I'M doing with MY time. Internet people are just that, INTERNET PEOPLE. I like to pretend they're all mildly intelligent computers programmed to interact with humans.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    I make bread and used to use a machine now I do it by hand and I do log the exercise - you try kneading bread for 20mins plus its a very good upper body work out (I batch make the bread so knead half the recipe at a time)

lol I do laundry by hand which I have to use something to agitate the water, so I will log that depending on how long I am doing that for.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I do not count house hold chores, landscaping chores, ect. If I manage to do a little more with it than normal it's a bonus. I log only my actual cardio workouts or strength training. But hey, that's just me. I beat to my own drum.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    if its stuff you do all the time..it doesn't count...but lets say you are helping a friend move..and you are helping to clean ..then thats out of the usual. For instance during the summer..our family helps with some community projects. We spent 12 hrs scraping paint, sweeping, pulling weeds, painting..I logged all of it..cause I dont do that normally
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it exercise unless I'm out of breath and sweating for a considerable amount of time...which cooking and cleaning just does not do that for me. I work with a 55 year old woman who everytime I mention running or getting on my treadmill, she says she doesn't like doing stuff like that. She says she's always on the go, cleaning her house, and her yards and that she prefers that as her exercise.

I just smile and think....you are clueless.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on how your activity level is set up. If you have yourself as sedentary and vacuum for two hours I would say that counts as exercise!
  • firstjog11
    firstjog11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm tired just reading about your activities! :smile: I only log what I actually exercise, but I know a full day of deep cleaning wipes me out physically and I would add something big like this. Normal daily living, I don't add (and I rarely sit on my couch and watch TV).
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Well let me chime in here. I just deep cleaned my house today. Mopped, vacuumed (including under beds) cleaned all the bathrooms and kitchen. This wasn't the normal, daily picking up that I do but a whole house clean. I wore my HRM while I did this for 4 hours and burned 799 calories. My activity level on here is set to sedentary and I sure as heck was NOT sedentary for those 4 hours. So I back out my existence calories for that time period and it's an extra 605 calories I burned today. You better believe I'm counting THAT.

Now, I do not count cooking dinner, picking up the house, taking out the trash, doing laundry, but over and above like today? You bet it's exercise.

You would still burn calories if you were sitting still too. So you didn't in fact burn 800 calories just b/c you cleaned.

That's why I said I backed out my existence calories of 194 for that time period. So I DID burn 605 calories doing more than being alive and sitting in front of this computer (which is where I am usually) and 605 is what I added as exercise. And you are right, I do exercise to be healthy. But when MFP tells me to eat back my exercise calories and I've burned almost the same amount cleaning my house as I did during my spin class and strength training, I'm going to eat those calories.

MFP is a guideline. Not an absolute MUST.

I still don't buy it.

But it doesn't matter, you're cheating yourself, not me.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

That's more what I meant, is I've seen logs for 15 min of cooking and 20 min of light/moderate effort cleaning..............I know every person is different and can do what they want, but I know I did that in the past and felt guilty because I felt like I didn't desere it and just wanted an extra candy bar and that's how I got it

I would never log cooking, but I log strenuous cleaning type exercises under the "light/moderate effort cleaning". This might include sweeping leaves, shoveling snow, moving furniture, or cleaning floors, if I'm doing it for a signficant period of time. Whenever I spend a couple hours sweeping leaves I'm sore as hell the next day, so I think I'd be delusional to not consider it exercise.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on how your activity level is set up. If you have yourself as sedentary and vacuum for two hours I would say that counts as exercise!

vacuuming is exercise? come on people. this is why america is fat.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Are u for real HorrorChix89?? LOL............
  • samantha64118
    Options
    I log everything I do because 90% of the time I'm sitting on my *kitten* in front of my laptop (like right now). I log SHOPPING, DRIVING (sometimes), WALKING.

Every been shopping for 3 hours at a time walking around in circles because the Paper Products are on the complete opposite side of the store than the Hardware section. Or Dairy isn't as close as you would like to the Frozen Food Section. And god forbid you forget someone and end up having to walk all the way back to the back of the store only to realize they are out of stock on that item.

Maybe that's just me. Still, I don't care if anyone "laughs" at me. Cause the more they laugh at me the more I realize they're spending too much time worrying what I'M doing with MY time. Internet people are just that, INTERNET PEOPLE. I like to pretend they're all mildly intelligent computers programmed to interact with humans.

I'm not trying to make fun of you, but driving, really? How does that burn calories (you're sitting down)? Not trying to be offensive, again, I just want to understand...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

So unless you get up out of a chair, everything else you log is exercise? Need to quit fooling yourself. Like I stated in an earlier post, if the muscle you have underneath ain't getting conditioned from the activity you're doing, it ain't exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I do not consider normal daily activity to be exercise. Exercise should be a conscience decision to elevate your HR for at least 30 minutes. That's my opinion.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I think if you are so overweight that you are bed ridden than yes otherwise no.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It may be "exercise" but I don't consider it myself, exercise to me is putting on my workout gear, getting on the treadmill, elliptical or bike, or lifting weights, I NEVER calculate those "other things" into my exercise, I consider that daily life........

THIS!!!
  • aneisiena
    Options
    It's exercise, but I consider it stuff I need to be doing anyway (haha), so I wouldn't log it. Just think of it as a nice balance because--without a personal HRM--a lot of the cardio database/calories burned are estimates.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

MFP is a guideline. Not an absolute MUST.

I still don't buy it.

But it doesn't matter, you're cheating yourself, not me.

You know, it IS possible to burn calories while doing something productive. Sometimes it's even possible to burn calories while doing something fun!
  • camillehardeman
    Options
    Nope! That's all included in the BMR. Besides, excercise isn't all about the calorie burn for me, I enjoy it, it's my "me" time, so I have no desire to ever "cheat" by logging things that aren't exercise. I just don't see the point. Besides, you can have your app tell you you burned 1000 calories, but you are just setting yourself up for dissappointment next time you step on the scale!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything I do around the house as exercise except for my Wii (energetic games, not Mario with the hubby), my DVD's and Cross Trainer, they are most definitely exercise.

Reason I don't log it is because A) I don't have a HRM at the moment so it would be purely guess work and B) I don't get my heart rate beating quicker when cleaning, I'm not on a time limit so why rush?

If people do it and over estimate what they are burning then it's their problem, not mine. If you want to log your cleaning then fine, do it, but I'm not.