Do you consider this exercise?

Options

Replies

• EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i don't count walking around the house, no. But i do count housecleaning when it's epic. I count cooking. Yes. I think especially when you are just starting out, that it helps.

I heard this story on NPR about a study done on maids. One group of maids only logged exercise if it was done in a gym. The other group got to log their exercise done at work too (carrying vacuums up two flights of stairs?? Hello?!?!). The study showed that the maids who gave themselves credit for all their work lost more weight. The explanation was that they would see how much they were burning, get stoked, and start eating better, working out more, whatever.

I log it also because it makes me happy to do chores. It's not like washing dishes for 20 minutes burns a huge amount of calories and your gonna run to the ice cream store. But I do find myself thinking "I'll do the dishes honey" and when I'm doing them, I'm more conscious about how I'm using my body.

After losing 44 lbs, I'm less into logging those things and more focused on other elements of fitness, but I think it's good.

Also, just FYI, i have my daily activity level set to sedentary because my job is a sitting on my bottom all day job. If I had it as "active" I might not log washing the dishes! haha!
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Please use the search feature and add your 2 pennies to the 100's of threads a month that discuss this very same thing.

Just putting in my 2 pennies - it clogs my community feed
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what other people log as exercise? And who are you to be the judge?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Americans are fat because they think you need to have a special spandex outfit and a gym memebership and some bulky piece of home exercise equipment to stay in shape. If more Americans took on the attitudes of other cultures and simply DID MORE STUFF instead of sitting around feeling bad about not doing "real" workouts, obesity would be less of an issue here.
    Actually Americans are fat because they eat too much. Americans that don't eat too much are thinner............without exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    i would consider taking out the trash some exercise in certain circumstances. or shoveling snow.. why? because my driveway is about a mile long... walking or running to the end of the driveway, heck yeah, i will log that because my driveway is long. lol

Shoveling snow I would agree with as exercise. You work up a sweat then yes. The trash.... I dont know about that one... but I dont have a long driveway either. :happy:

12908857.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have myself racked up as sedentary, so anything that is beyond doing deskwork I log... Such as walking, gardening, carpentry etc... But this is a personal thing, so I can track for my own benefit. If other people think it is lame then they can unfriend me.

That aside I do some good cardio burns most days 800 to 1600 calories.
  • mammothdoll
    Options
    The best way to know how many calories you burn through ordinary exercises like cleaning dishes is by wearing a sophisticated calculator, such as the Bodybugg. It might be a few; it might be a lot!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    We have a Keurig coffee machine at work that uses these little cups to make coffee (similar to pods, but bigger and environmentally more evil, though cutely named K-cups). You have to place one of these K-cups in the machine for each cup of coffee. When I make coffee, I always open the machine back up and throw away my used K-cup. Not everyone does this. Sometimes people leave the K-cup in the coffee machine, so when I go to make a cup of coffee, I have to first throw the used one away before inserting a new one to brew my coffee.

Because I am human and weird in human ways, and live in a country where privilege has made many molehills into mountains, I feel slighted by this. I feel that because *I* make the choice to throw away my K-cups, others should make the same choice. Believe me, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that would agree with me. I know I am right. I have let it actually make me irritable when I'm already having a bad day. I have made comments under my breath about throwing away other people's trash. And you know what? I am acting like a petulant child when I do.

It doesn't really matter what other people do. It is almost the same amount of work for me to open the machine and insert a new K-cup as it is to open the machine and remove an old K-cup before inserting a new one. The trash can is feet away. I can assume other people are being insensitive or rude or somehow consciously making the opposite decision I am while evaluating the same facts. But it doesn't matter. It's silly to get worked up over it.

I feel like I'm doing it right, and any deviation from that is incrementally less right. That's the problem right there. And when I stop to really think about it, it makes me want to poke fun at myself. It doesn't matter what other people log as exercise. At least, it doesn't matter to me personally, and it doesn't affect what I enter as exercise. If I choose not to log activity A as exercise, why do I have this need to call out others who choose to log it? Why would I take the time to post that they are "cheating" (which is another way of saying they are "doing it wrong")? I don't know. But we are funny people.

The moral of this story is that Keurig - while convenient, does create a lot of waste, and isn't really that good of coffee and only works when I've run out of the coffee I brought with me and... .no wait... Sorry. The moral of this story is that your choices are your choices. Unless they are directly affecting someone else, your choices are ultimately meaningless to anyone but you. Make your choice because of the intrinsic value of what that choice means to you. Don't deny others the experience to make their own choices.

Finally, no sandals with socks.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!! There are times where it is.. like washing walls down or something... cooking for a big dinner party.. If you are making ramen noodles i don't want to see that you logged 2 hours for cooking.. Same thing goes for playing with your kids... It's not exercise peole.. It called being a parent
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    We have a Keurig coffee machine at work that uses these little cups to make coffee (similar to pods, but bigger and environmentally more evil, though cutely named K-cups). You have to place one of these K-cups in the machine for each cup of coffee. When I make coffee, I always open the machine back up and throw away my used K-cup. Not everyone does this. Sometimes people leave the K-cup in the coffee machine, so when I go to make a cup of coffee, I have to first throw the used one away before inserting a new one to brew my coffee.

Because I am human and weird in human ways, and live in a country where privilege has made many molehills into mountains, I feel slighted by this. I feel that because *I* make the choice to throw away my K-cups, others should make the same choice. Believe me, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that would agree with me. I know I am right. I have let it actually make me irritable when I'm already having a bad day. I have made comments under my breath about throwing away other people's trash. And you know what? I am acting like a petulant child when I do.

It doesn't really matter what other people do. It is almost the same amount of work for me to open the machine and insert a new K-cup as it is to open the machine and remove an old K-cup before inserting a new one. The trash can is feet away. I can assume other people are being insensitive or rude or somehow consciously making the opposite decision I am while evaluating the same facts. But it doesn't matter. It's silly to get worked up over it.

I feel like I'm doing it right, and any deviation from that is incrementally less right. That's the problem right there. And when I stop to really think about it, it makes me want to poke fun at myself. It doesn't matter what other people log as exercise. At least, it doesn't matter to me personally, and it doesn't affect what I enter as exercise. If I choose not to log activity A as exercise, why do I have this need to call out others who choose to log it? Why would I take the time to post that they are "cheating" (which is another way of saying they are "doing it wrong")? I don't know. But we are funny people.

The moral of this story is that Keurig - while convenient, does create a lot of waste, and isn't really that good of coffee and only works when I've run out of the coffee I brought with me and... .no wait... Sorry. The moral of this story is that your choices are your choices. Unless they are directly affecting someone else, your choices are ultimately meaningless to anyone but you. Make your choice because of the intrinsic value of what that choice means to you. Don't deny others the experience to make their own choices.

Interesting! So, in summary would you say that the Keurig is overrated? Now, this is useful information!

Edit: Oh, and you also make some good points. :drinker:
  • MumOfGirlsOnly
    MumOfGirlsOnly Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't count housework as exercise. Housework is like sex, something that is done as enjoyment (I like cleaning, love the proud feeling after all the house is sparkling, until the kids wake up anyway).I spend about 3 hours per day cooking and cleaning, I clean walls everyday as my 20 month old loves to leave fingerprints every where and I am anal about keeping the toilets clean so they are scrubbed everyday too.

I do count mowing the lawns as it's a good 40 minute workout pushing the mower.

If someone logs it as exercise good for them. It's their diary and they can log what they like. I do what works for me, they do what works for them.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I wasn't trying to offend anyone.........like I said I have only ever included a daily activity I think once...bu I don't log it because I would have done it anyway.............deep cleaning is hard work, I'm not saying that, I just know for me personally I'm not going to log anything like that because I feel like I'm cheating becasue it's something that has to be done.......

and for the shoveling, I agree it's not real exercise but I do get sore afterwards........I think of it as more of a "weight" thing that actual exercise because I literally NEVER use weights and my arms and shoulders are always sore after so, while I never actually log it and count it, I feel like I "worked out" hahahaha.......probably because my upper body is in such poor shape haha!

Shoveling snow CAN get your heartrate up enough to be considered exercise. Of course it depends on how much snow, but if you have a foot of snow and you're out there clearing sidewalks, driveways and cars for extended periods of time, why wouldn't you consider it? It may not be traditional exercise, but you're body is definitely working, hence the sweat and achy muscles.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Americans are fat because they think you need to have a special spandex outfit and a gym memebership and some bulky piece of home exercise equipment to stay in shape. If more Americans took on the attitudes of other cultures and simply DID MORE STUFF instead of sitting around feeling bad about not doing "real" workouts, obesity would be less of an issue here.
    Actually Americans are fat because they eat too much. Americans that don't eat too much are thinner............without exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

My sister is one of those who can eat anything (and she does) no exercise and is thin.... 5'10 and 112 lbs. (yes, full sister as well) but she is skinny fat. I have to watch what I eat and exercise, I have learned that was how my body was made (unfair at times) yet in the end I am healthier when it comes to my organs, cholesterol, endurance, ect.).
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

I like to call these my "Ninja Shoes" and actually have a picture of them on FB
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'm going to make a big fuss over this but I feel it's something I must share........do you consider cooking, cleaning, walking to and from kitchen, bathroom etc in your house and other daily activities exercise????

I don't understand that completely.......Anything I have to do/regularly do in a day I don't count as exercise........Cooking myself dinner isn't exercise, I have to eat to live and I'd be doing it anyway.......cleaning my house is something I have to do unless I want mice and ants everywhere and walking to the kitchen and bathroom and back........it just doesn't make sense to me?

I am here to lose weight, and if I was to count every step I took or every movement I made as exercise I'd be cheating myself......the only time I consider any of those things exercise is when I'm like scrubbing the floor with a brush or shoveling snow because I break a sweat with those...........

I guess I just needed to put my 2 cents in on the subject.......

No, I don't. I also laugh at people who log taking out the trash, or cleaning.

I feel like they're just being lazy, hoping that that'll count towards exercise so they don't actually have to get their *kitten* in gear.

Breaking a sweat doesn't relate to losing weight all the time. Sweating is just your body's cooling system. If you're wrapped up in a jacket shoveling snow, is your heart rate really over 100? You're just warm b/c you're not sitting still outside in the cold, so your body is cooling itself.

I hardly sweat at the gym, but I can knock out 600 calories rather quickly

I add my cleaning, and im definitely not lazy, but when you scrub floors, i know im burning calories.. hands and knees.. my house is spotless
  • summerjo621
    Options
    I just had this discussion this morning w/a friend. And if someone else has answered like this then I apol for duplication it, ti's just I dont have time to read all the replys. Normally cleaning I do not log, HOWEVER newyears I spent several hours majorly spring cleaning (hauling things around, cleaning under beds, etc) so I did count an hour of it. Also at work the other day, I dusted all the baseboards, door frames, picture frames and shelving. There was a lot of up & down, moving heavy things and stretching I normally do not do (my exercise is mormally walking or dancing) , so I counted ten min of it. (I also felt comfotable counting it bc I could tell I had gotten a work out in some muscles) hope this helps!
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!! There are times where it is.. like washing walls down or something... cooking for a big dinner party.. If you are making ramen noodles i don't want to see that you logged 2 hours for cooking.. Same thing goes for playing with your kids... It's not exercise peole.. It called being a parent

amen
  • Saxmis
    Saxmis Posts: 84
    Options
    I used to have a cleaning job for two days a week and I was MUCH bigger then, and my God, did I sweat. It was deep cleaning, too, moving furniture, cleaning from top to bottom, etc. I rarely eat back the calories I exercise because I exercise to create a deficit and I would usually go to the gym after work, so at those times, I did count the extra calories especially as I was losing more weight whilst doing that work.

I don't count daily things as a calorie burn, though. I'm generally a sedentary person, so say if I go for an hour's walk, I'll count that, but not my daily walking around my flat, etc.

I think it's an individual thing, if you feel like you've worked harder than normal, then feel free to count it, but if you're only counting it so you can have an extra snack, then maybe take 30 minutes on a stationary bike or go for an hour's walk and have the snack after your walk or something. Do some exercise that will probably burn more calories than the cleaning or daily activity.

I think it's individual choice and everybody is free to do as they choose, but you have to look at your own motivations for it. We all know if we're only counting something to justify what we've eaten or to justify eating something later. There's nothing wrong with this, but if you're going to do it, make the burn worthwhile! Hell, I'm doing it today. I've eaten really badly today and now I'm trying to justify it by doing a fair amount of exercise, but this is focusing on cardio based exercises and calisthenics, not things that I know I do on a day to day basis like playing with the cats!
  • bunnzye2
    Options
    To me its more an individual thing, what that person wants to do with his or her own personal calorie count and diary. I count it on the weekends when I do extra cleaning and I cook meals for the whole week. I dont have a vacuum, I have to sweep and mop carpeting. I would not consider myself lazy, nor would I call anyone else lazy who counts the calories they burn, because they are calories being burned. We judge people too much.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    It's probably important to point out that your body has no idea what you're doing, just that you're up being active. It doesn't care how you log it, even if you feel superior logging a spinning class over the person who logs when they clean (and when I clean, I have gym shoes on and I am working hard! I have never thought of tracking it before though). So just get off the couch and do something! I think purposely cleaning your house to the point of sweating is an awesome idea- great workout + clean house!