For the Ladies - Mirena?

Options

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    im with my 2nd mirena now..i have had no weight loss or gain..the worst thing i experienced was a little pain having them put in for like 10 seconds, and being scared of having it taken out, and after 2 1/2 years with the 1st one, i started having monthly cycles again, but nothing too major..having it taken out is painless..i was freaked because of stories i have heard, and you dont have to be on your period..they prefer it, but i had both mine put in while i was not
  • kailysimpson
    Options
    Mirena is the devil. I know a lot of people love theirs, but it has screwed me completely. I got mine after having my youngest son b/c we didn't want another baby right away. But 18 months later, we decided we wanted to try for another and I had my Mirena taken out. Before I had the Mirena I had perfect cycles, no problems, etc. Post Mirena - I was a mess. My cycles were all over the place, I would bleed for 75 days straight, and I ended up in the hospital twice for excessive blood loss. My Doctor has done a million tests and can't find anything wrong with me - my blood sugar is fine, thyroid fine, most of my hormone levels are great - except that my body no longer produces progesterone- which is the hormone that the Mirena synthesizes. SO now, the only way that I even get a monthly visit is if I take progesterone in 10 day cycles - and my husband and I are still not able to get pregnant after over 2 years of trying. So, Mirena is the devil in my opinion - and my doctor feels pretty confident that the IUD caused my troubles.
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I explain to my patients that having an IUD removed (Mirena or Paragard) is like having an IV removed. It may hurt having it put in but it is not so bad having it removed.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena for 2.5 years and have not noticed any trouble with weight gain.

As for ladies asking if it hurts...IT HURT LIKE THE ****ENS TO GET IT IN! Of course, I went to my GP instead of an OBGYN AND I haven't had kids yet. It took the dr about 45 minutes to get it....but since then, I have had NO problems whatsoever. Just not looking forward to getting it taken out....
  • AllDayMzAmberJ
    AllDayMzAmberJ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm so glad I read this. Thank you ladies! I am actually getting mine inserted today - and I was really worried about the pain to get inserted (but maybe I shouldn't since I have had 2 babies vaginally! LOL).. and the side effects and such. You all have quieted my nerves. :) Yay for Mirena
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    I have had mine for 3 years. I don't have any period (not even spotting). The only problem I have noticed is I occasionally get pelvic pain that lasts a few minutes and makes it hard to walk. I have not gained weight because of the mirena. It also never makes me nauseous like the pill!
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It didn't hurt getting it put in or getting it taken out... no more uncomfortable than a pap.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I got a mirena six months ago. I have since lost 53 pounds.

1. The mirena did not cause me to lose this weight. Diet and exercise did.
    2. Whether it had any effect on how quickly I lost the weight, I do not know. I don't really focus on outside factors, or get discouraged when I plateau. I just buckle down and work harder. ...and this attitude didn't come easily. It's taken me years of yo-yoing up and down with my weight, trying fad diets, etc. to learn to focus and change my lifestyle and attitude.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had mine in for the full five years. I just got it taken out in October. Due to complications with my insurance not covering most of the procedure I had to opt for the pill. I miss Mirena badly. I had no side effects other than light or missed periods. No weight gain, no headaches, etc. I do know a couple people who had PID who had complications with it. If you have multiple sex partners there's a good chance you'll get infections easily. I had no problems with mine what so ever. Best birth control on the market if you ask me. As soon as the health care section on birth control goes into effect in 2013 I'm having mine reinserted.

Most doctors will not allow it if you're not in a long-term monogomous (sp?) relationship because of the increase risk of infection.
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have had it for a year and 2 mths now. Did not have a weight gain. I remember it hurting to be put in, because I had 2 c-sections for my kids.
  • Coramae09
    Coramae09 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had the mirena and absolutely loved it for a while... I lost 40lbs while on it 2yrs ago but with me losing weight it shifted and the strings were very painful for my husband and was very uncomfortable for me as well. My Dr had cut the strings as short as they would go so i ended up just getting it removed. So as far as weight issues I wasn't affected at all...
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    I have had Mirena for 2.5 years and have not noticed any trouble with weight gain.

As for ladies asking if it hurts...IT HURT LIKE THE ****ENS TO GET IT IN! Of course, I went to my GP instead of an OBGYN AND I haven't had kids yet. It took the dr about 45 minutes to get it....but since then, I have had NO problems whatsoever. Just not looking forward to getting it taken out....

Please see an OB/GYN to have it out. My insertion was pain free and took all of about 30 seconds.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    I remember it hurting to be put in, because I had 2 c-sections for my kids.

It's supposed to cause pain for people who have had a c-section? Why? I haven't heard of this, and I'm curious. I had a c-section, and it didn't hurt to get mine put in.
  • jeni636363
    Options
    Foreverlyn: I was on Depo and i gained a ton of weight! As SOON as I stopped the weight melted off!
  • Blakemore1229
    Options
    I have the mirena for almost two years and just two weeks ago got it removed...so far no change in weight without it so it wasn't holding me back...I had a love hate relationship with the mirena and I am so glad I got it out...
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Hello, Ladies! I have a question. Actually, a few. First, does anyone, or has anyone in the past, had a Mirena IUD? If you did, did you notice weight gain? When you got it out, did you notice it was easier to lose weight?? Any insight would help!

I have one, have had it for a while. Never noticed any weight gain. ANd even with me dieting and exercising, it's not keeping me from losing weight.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

Please see an OB/GYN to have it out. My insertion was pain free and took all of about 30 seconds.

This!

mine took all of 10 seconds to get in, and it was small pinch like a pap.
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i had one fitted last year and i have lost a total of 70lb since having it fitted so i didn't find that it affected my ability to lose weight.
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Did it hurt at all having it put in and does hit hurt to remove? I am on Depo and while i love it I have definitely gained weight.

I wouldn't say it hurts. I have had two labours/chidbirth though and still hands down out of everything I have had thus far in life, those are the most pain - so anything else is minimal pain to me compared to those barbaric procedures.
    I think you should relax as much as possible - and it is just possibly twice, of an uncomfortable draggy feeling for only a matter of seconds.
    As this was fitted exactly one month ago - I have just had a period (I am hoping I am the person that they disappear with because this is the reason I got it) and I will say I think this period was a little bit more painful than usual (had to take pain killers and that is very unlike me).
    If my bleeding subsides though, how I am led to believe it will - then it will be the best thing I have ever done.

oh - and I believe that removal is rather easy and painless - lots of Drs here will do the removals but only a handful do insertions.
  • jen0731
    jen0731 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I loved my Mirena. No weight gain for me, actually I did lose a lot of weight but I was actively trying to lose it too. I never had acne problems with it either. I had mine in 5 years and did not replace it because I will be trying to have a baby soon. In the past I was on Depo shot and did gain weight and had no sex drive at all. Hated the shot.