Replies

• walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your honest responses, i have been having a look on other forums and only seem to end up with horror stories about deep depression, crashed cars and massive boobs!

Yikes!

Honestly, other than the weight issue (for me), I have loved it. It cost me a $25 copay, so it's $5 a year where the pill was $10 a month. I don't have to think about it. My doc is very proactive about making sure it's in place so no accidents. My "periods" are light spotting every once in a while that don't even require a tampon and I'm not depressed or crazy or anything.

If those things were going on, I'd have it out. But I'm hoping some serious weight training might help the weight issue. If not, I guess I'm just screwed. I wish they'd just take my uterus out. I don't need it anymore. lol
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any issues with weight gain or acne like some of the previous posters but, I did get pregnant about 20 months after having it inserted. Pregnancy was not viable and I ended up having surgery for total sterilization.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It was terrible! Horrible. I had all the negative side effects. No thank you!
  • woodmetal
    Options
    LOL I have had the Mirena for three years now! Love it! did not gain weight- that was a new man and being lazy and sloppy portion control!! I did spot for a while but have not had a period in a long time! I had a huge increase in my sex drive and would never have any other form of birth control! I did take the pill and several other methods this has been like a dream come true! insert and forget!!
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm much more concerned about acne than weight gain. I already have hormonal cystic acne so I have been too afraid to get the Mirena for fear that it will become much worse. Sucks having acne.
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i had Mirena for over 2 years i was so afraid to have it put in becasue someone told me it was so painful .... yeah ...no .. barely felt anything . i didn't gain at all and once i started to actively try to lose wight i did awesome . i stopped having periods about about a month or two after. the only reason i dont still have it is i sustained a injury which caused it dislodge and am currently going to get another form of BC . all in all i loved it but everyone is different
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I had mine in for the full five years. I just got it taken out in October. Due to complications with my insurance not covering most of the procedure I had to opt for the pill. I miss Mirena badly. I had no side effects other than light or missed periods. No weight gain, no headaches, etc. I do know a couple people who had PID who had complications with it. If you have multiple sex partners there's a good chance you'll get infections easily. I had no problems with mine what so ever. Best birth control on the market if you ask me. As soon as the health care section on birth control goes into effect in 2013 I'm having mine reinserted.

How much does it cost wherever you are? I had to pay 33 bucks for the actual mirena and that was it - 4 appointments with Dr - all at no cost. Couldn't be happier with that aspect also. No buying the pill every 4 months for $33 a pop!!!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any issues with weight gain or acne like some of the previous posters but, I did get pregnant about 20 months after having it inserted. Pregnancy was not viable and I ended up having surgery for total sterilization.

This is awful. I'm sorry that you had to go through this :(
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I'm much more concerned about acne than weight gain. I already have hormonal cystic acne so I have been too afraid to get the Mirena for fear that it will become much worse. Sucks having acne.

Go with the paraguard/copper or variant. It doesn't have hormones.
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine is pregnant and had an IUD. They could not remove it for some reason. The baby is alive and well though. With 3 kids that story scared the crap out of me!!

I would assume that would lead to miscarriage - they can't break the sac and plug in the cervix unless the baby would just come away wouldn't it?
  • carolthegreat1
    carolthegreat1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is a question that I've asked my trainer multiple times.. I have had Mirena for about 4 yrs. I lost 60 pounds while I was pregnant.. (was bigger when I conceived); I gained weight back pretty rapidly.

I'm finding it difficult to lose weight now even though i'm clean eating AND exercising at least 5 days a week.

Have there been any reports of weight gain with Mirena and weight loss once removed?
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Just a fun tidbit. If you have the paragard IUD (hormone free one) it is good for 10 years in the U.S. but good for 12 years in Europe. Interesting, No ?
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I have had my Mirena since March 2010, and I had some pretty nasty side effects at the beginning, but now I love it. I haven't had a period in months, and once the initial spotting started to clear up it's been great. I didn't notice any weight gain or loss when I got it inserted, but I started losing weight in August of 2010 and I have lost almost 70 pounds since then, so I can't say that it affected/didn't affect my weight loss. I don't think it made it any harder, as I lost the first 50 pounds within 6 months. After that I plateaued for about 3-4 months, and then once I switched up my cardio/strength training routine, the weight started to drop again. In my experience, Mirena didn't really affect anything that I noticed. This is just my experience though, everyone is different.
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    I had one when we were between children. Can't say that I gained weight or not as I was obese already and had a very poor diet. It was uncomfortable to insert. I was extra creamy for a couple days, but then did not feel it at all. My periods went from regular to light to non existent. I was a bit *****y, but I can't pin that particularly on the mirena. My husband will say different. Lol.

I was sterilized after my second child to I don't need that type of birth control anymore. I now have very heavy abnormal periods and it's an option my doctor brought up to help that, but at this stage in life, I don't know that I want to deal with the hormone issue. I am afraid that I would gain weight. I am trying to lose and trying to eat fit, but if my appetite is stimulated, I can't guarantee myself that I can control it. the thought of no periods again is very tempting though! I do have other options for my particular issue though.

Good luck with your decision.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options

So did I...mine cleared up after I got my mirena.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    double post
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I have had my Mirena since March 2010, and I had some pretty nasty side effects at the beginning, but now I love it. I haven't had a period in months, and once the initial spotting started to clear up it's been great. I didn't notice any weight gain or loss when I got it inserted, but I started losing weight in August of 2010 and I have lost almost 70 pounds since then, so I can't say that it affected/didn't affect my weight loss. I don't think it made it any harder, as I lost the first 50 pounds within 6 months. After that I plateaued for about 3-4 months, and then once I switched up my cardio/strength training routine, the weight started to drop again. In my experience, Mirena didn't really affect anything that I noticed. This is just my experience though, everyone is different.

I should add on here that I haven't had kids, and I almost fainted when the obgyn grabbed the cervix (although he warned me this might happen), and was dizzy afterwards for about 20 minutes. It was not a pleasant experience, but was well worth it.
  • carolthegreat1
    carolthegreat1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a period in almost 3 yrs... at first was spotty, but I haven't had one drop in 3 yrs.. not sure how safe that is, but I LOVE IT!!! No problems with vacations... etc..
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have had mine since August. It was uncomfortable, felt like bad cramps but not painful to have it put in. I had spotting for about 6 weeks and haven't had a period since. Maybe just 3 or 4 random days of spotting. I haven't had any weight gain and have had absolutely no problems with the hormones. (this one contains progesterone)