Does anyone else hate being called vuluptuous?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    All the double figure sizes are plus sized here, apart from size 10.

If our size 12 is your size 8, I'd really hate to see what your size 18 is... that must be huge & waaaaay over the plus size mark.

You say you're a US size 12 but at the same time say you'd hate to see what a US size 18 is, "that must be huge"....it's only a few sizes up from yourself. Highly insensitive for someone who has lost 50 lbs and was probably a size 18 when she started. Have some decency, you're on a frackin weight loss website.
  • mctiernan
    mctiernan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I actually take it as a compliment! I think vuluptuous woman are gorgeous!
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    Size 12 is not a plus size, at least not in America. It's FAR from it! Plus size where I buy starts at size 18. Size 12 is actually in the "normal" departments of the stores making it NOT plus size. Maybe where your from it's different, IDK.

Your size 12 is our Size 16, our size 12 is your 8, I think.
    So your size 8 here is a 12 (the 12 that Kim K is) plus size.
    I'm a US 12 & a UK 16, I'm 179lbs, that makes me plus sized.

Half my wardrobe is uk sizes and half us. I always hear a two size difference, but for me I really only have a one size difference. I am not sure why, but I thought that UK sizes are cut a little curvier (not meaning fat here) for the same waist/shoulder size. I heard clothes cut for a US market are cut for a B cup and those for a UK market are cut for a C cup. But yes the sizing tend to be a little more generous in the US (smaller number for larger body). It depends on the brand though as I think some use the same pattern for both then just label the sizes one or two sizes different. But with the UK brands not in the US, I only wear a one size difference in clothing and bras (one larger size) and strangely one size smaller in shoes in the UK sizes. (The exception being Marks and Spencers, I think there sizes are possibly the same as American sizes, lol).

I think plus sizes are the sizes you need to go into "plus size" stores or departments. In most stores in both US and UK, the regular sizes carry up to about size 16. And the plus size stores usually start, is it 16 or 18? I am not saying people that wear those sizes are slimmer or fatter, I think that would depend on the person's height and build whether they appear slim or over weight. At my heaviest, I was overweight for my build, but I never had to shop in plus size stores. I have seen some "plus size" women who look healthy and fit though they are often very tall. It is all relative.
  • dbrink
    dbrink Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Absolutely hate being called this! I know they think it is a compliment, but it makes me feel like they are calling me puffy.

288730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    All the double figure sizes are plus sized here, apart from size 10.

If our size 12 is your size 8, I'd really hate to see what your size 18 is... that must be huge & waaaaay over the plus size mark.

You say you're a US size 12 but at the same time say you'd hate to see what a US size 18 is, "that must be huge"....it's only a few sizes up from yourself. Highly insensitive for someone who has lost 50 lbs and was probably a size 18 when she started. Have some decency, you're on a frackin weight loss website.

It might be a few sizes up, but it's a BIG difference. ( http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_W6aQh04oJ28/S7tFOiLbAJI/AAAAAAAAApE/6V4i-amIKLM/s1600/Stephanie-Zwicky_galerie_principal.jpg SIZE EIGHTEEN, compare that to my picture, there's a great difference.)
    It's not "Highly insensitive" at all; that person must have known that being that size was huge, otherwise they wouldn't have lost the weight... duh.
  • aprilshowers262
    aprilshowers262 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's just the nice way to say you're overweight.

Would you rather they say you're overweight?

I'd rather they didn't say anything.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I actually like it. = ) It is all in how you frame it in your mind. I think it is a quite a complement. = )
  • msbobbitx
    msbobbitx Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it. I was once told I am a plus-sized Barbie. As long as they dont' call me a fatass or lardass and they are meaning it as a compliment I'm okay with it. :-)

I have finally realized that any size is okay..as long as you are happy and healthy. I don't think a bone-pile with boobs is attractive, but I want to feel comfortable in my own skin.
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Men usually like curvy/voluptuous women and usually don't mean to say it in a offensive manner... it's better to be curvy/voluptuous than a skinny ftv type model.
  • chottyyoung1
    chottyyoung1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I dont mind it most of the times!
    I think it is a way of saying you are sexy and bigger. Because media and tv has worked so hard trying to let everyone know that you have to be skinny to be sexy. Unfortunately, that has caused this word to click in when you see a bigger sexy woman.
  • chottyyoung1
    chottyyoung1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Now "Fluffy" or "Chunky"...those are terrible.
  • tenax
    tenax Posts: 97
    Options
    i hate it when someone calls me voluptous:)
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Rubinesque is worse to me! Have you ever seen any of Rubens' nudes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Paul_Rubens

I'd rather be voluptuous - brings to mind 40's pinup and Marilyn Monroe to me

Haha, I've had that one. I used to be a nude model for an art class and on my first day one of the students said 'Oh brilliant, you have such a classical figure, very Reubenesque'. I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!!! grrrrr.... Seriously though, she was being nice... at least from an artistic point of view.

I was picked for my shape at the time (I was heavier than I am now), the other 2 models for the class were a body builder guy and a very thin 80 year old woman so I was there for variety :) 'Interesting' bodies are apparently better for life drawing classes :)

I don't mind being called voluptuous, it sounds sexy :) Even if it's a veiled insult I take it as a compliment :)