Does coffee count for water?

Options

Replies

• ckapes
    ckapes Posts: 31
    Options
    I believe you can if it is decaf and you haven't added anything to it.
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    you should read up on Splenda, it is not actually good for you it contains Aspertame which is bad for you, why do you think diet soda is worst than regular soda ?

you want something better than Splenda try Stevia
    i rarely drink it but i put it in- it's usually 5 calories....just coffee then you need to add the calories for the sugar, milk, cream etc...(i only drink de-caffinated)

i use 2 tbl of cream which is 40 cal and splenda no calories= 45 calories for one cup of coffee...

if you get some from starbucks or dunkin donuts its in the database and you can add the calories that way.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Nothing you add to water negates the fact that IT IS STILL WATER.

Let's say I really like Starbuck's Via instant coffee. For example. let's imagine I heat 6 ounces of pure, fresh, plain water to boiling and mix in the packet of coffee. I drink it and somehow the water magically becomes 'not water'?

What if I do the same thing, only this time, I pour the packet of Via right down my throat and eat it dry. Then, I drink six ounces of plain, fresh water. Suddenly this water counts as water, even though I have consumed all of the same items?

That makes no sense.

Water is still water, even when it is an ingredient in something else.

My cake today had water in the recipe. Can I log it as water?

You could if you knew how much water was in your slice. Because your body WILL extract that water and use it as water. The amount in cake tho, is probably negligible.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Nothing you add to water negates the fact that IT IS STILL WATER.

Let's say I really like Starbuck's Via instant coffee. For example. let's imagine I heat 6 ounces of pure, fresh, plain water to boiling and mix in the packet of coffee. I drink it and somehow the water magically becomes 'not water'?

What if I do the same thing, only this time, I pour the packet of Via right down my throat and eat it dry. Then, I drink six ounces of plain, fresh water. Suddenly this water counts as water, even though I have consumed all of the same items?

That makes no sense.

Water is still water, even when it is an ingredient in something else.

My cake today had water in the recipe. Can I log it as water?

Shall I explain 'evaporation' to you? In all honesty, yes... your cake definitely still has some water in it. You can count it if you like, although I'm not sure if you have the proper scientific equipment at home to measure evaporation levels incurred by the baking process.
  • CaliforniaGirl455
    Options
    I suffered for years with debilitating lower back pain. Turns out I was constantly dehydrated from coffee. Not enough fluids in the body = not enough fluid in the spinal column = inflammation = pain!

I don't care what anyone says, coffee dehydrates me. I occasionally drink one cup of decaf, however, I always immediately follow up with two cups of water.

Have a great day!
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Did you drink your cake? The water evaporates out as you bake it...

Okay then. Soup?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    dead horses...could not drag me awayyyyy
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Okay then. Soup?

That is a faulty argument - cooking soup is NOT like baking cake. If you boil water, is it still water? Yes... until you boil it to the point that it ALL evaporates and you end up with an empty pot with nothing in it.

And yes... the water content in soup does count. It's still water.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have always been curious about this as well. So basically everyone seems to be 50/50. Only one person has come back with actual articles regarding this. Guess I will go with their opinion or maybe I will just continue to be curious about this topic. LOL

It's not opinion.

Coffee is not water.

Flour is not bread.

Chicken is not beef.

...it's not rocket science.

These are not accurate analogies.

If you are counting how many servings of water you consume, you would count coffee, because coffee contains water.

If you were counting how many servings of flour you consumed, then you would count bread, because bread has flour in it.

If you were counting how many servings of meat you consume, you could count chicken, because it is meat.

It really isn't rocket science! :flowerforyou:

Oh dear, you're grossly overthinking my comment.

These things are similar, but not equal. Very basic concept. No complex analogy of what contains what.

So no, it really isn't rocket science.

Just curious: soda contains water. Do you count it as water?

I think apples are 90% water.
    But in all seriousness, I juice veggies and fruits and they do not count toward my water intake, neither does the tea I drink. I know that I can drink 4 cups of green tea and feel dehydrated. I also know that the more water I drink the more thirsty I get. Either way your body needs water to do it's job. Isn't it easier to take the guess work out of it and just drink the 8 glasses? Still drink your other things.

Also I read once that when you heat up water and add different ingredients it changes on a molecular level. So I personally don't feel coffee and tea can count as water. Sure they were made with water but they have been changed. Not sure if it's true but I also don't care because i drink plenty of water. My 2 Cents.
  • nxcguy
    nxcguy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Your right. Hope you dont take the i dont believe you comments some people just refuse to learn.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    No, coffee actually dehydrates you.

this is true, coffee dehydrates you...

2cc09adf-4dfa-4952-b46c-f28e9ac956e4.gif

PROOF that you didnt read anything in this thread...try reading at least the first couple of replies first....and can you provide proof that it dehydrates, and why those who only drink coffee arent dead already?

^^^I agree! I drank nothing but coffee (and occasionally milk) for better than 16 years. If I had 10 glasses of water a year, that would be a generous assessment. Coffee from the time I got up until the time I went to bed. Easily 2 pots+ every single day, and the only reason I drink more water now is because of all the calories in my creamer! :drinker: ...that said, I think I'll go make a pot of coffee.
  • rachyrach1234
    Options

FALSE
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    If it's made with water then it's got to count as water. Just count the other stuff too.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    So, if I drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning does that mean I can mark 1 cup of water down for the day? Just curious.

Nope. Quit trying to cheat yourself.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I count them separately. I like to drink pure water. Mine is filtered tap water.
  • nashtyone
    Options
    What about a coffee enema? Does that count as water?
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options

this is true, coffee dehydrates you...

putasockinit-1.jpg
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you should try to have at least half of your water consumption be actual pure water.
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    Coffee is not water.

Water is water.
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wow....that's all I can say....wow....