Does coffee count for water?

Options

Replies

• ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Water is water.

If you count it in your head as water, that's your decision but, to log anything other than water as water, just doesn't seem right.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Drink an extra cup of pure water a day for every cup of coffee .
    This is silliness. I guess you failed to read any of that fact based information in the beginning of the thread.

I read a quote by Abraham Lincoln on another post where he says not to believe things you read on the internet .

"The difficult thing with quotes on the internet is verifying them" - Abraham Lincoln
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If I drink 64 ounces of water a day , I lose more weight than if I only drink other fluids containing water and count the calories . Maybe someone should study me and publish the results so this information would be relevant .
    If losing water weight is important to you, keep up the good work. I prefer fat loss, myself. But I'm probably nuts for that.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Water is water.

Just because it went through a coffee maker with added caffeine, or you added some Crystal light, or lemon, a tea bag, or whatever to it - doesn't mean it's no longer water.

If you added calories - count those, but that wasn't the question.

No , most foods are water based ( thus food dehydrators) . Water recommendations are for water in addition to what you may have with water in it . In regards to adding flavorings to water , all of them have side effects that were not intended with the recommendation of pure water , i.e caffeine being a diuretic .
    You are grossly misinformed, sir. The diuretic quality of caffeine does NOT negate the hydrating effect of water content in, for example, coffee. Water itself is a diuretic. Water recommendations are in fact...for total water content of food and drink. See here, Mayo Clinic:
    Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

Would this include salt water ?
  • killagb
    Options
    Drink an extra cup of pure water a day for every cup of coffee .
    This is silliness. I guess you failed to read any of that fact based information in the beginning of the thread.

I read a quote by Abraham Lincoln on another post where he says not to believe things you read on the internet .

"The difficult thing with quotes on the internet is verifying them" - Abraham Lincoln
    "I like big butts and I cannot lie." - Abraham Lincoln
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Water is water.

Just because it went through a coffee maker with added caffeine, or you added some Crystal light, or lemon, a tea bag, or whatever to it - doesn't mean it's no longer water.

No , most foods are water based ( thus food dehydrators) . Water recommendations are for water in addition to what you may have with water in it . In regards to adding flavorings to water , all of them have side effects that were not intended with the recommendation of pure water , i.e caffeine being a diuretic .
    You are grossly misinformed, sir. The diuretic quality of caffeine does NOT negate the hydrating effect of water content in, for example, coffee. Water itself is a diuretic. Water recommendations are in fact...for total water content of food and drink. See here, Mayo Clinic:
    Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

This is pretty well established medically, and I can't quite believe it's still being debated on this site. Drink liquids. They're good. I have no trouble drinking lots of fresh, pure water - it's good stuff. But there's nothing 'wrong' with tea or coffee. The additional diuretic effect of tea or coffee is so miniscule as to have no effect on the vast majority of people. The only cases where this has been demonstrated to be worth even thinking about is people who have experienced conditions like congestive heart failure. For the bulk of the population, get your hydration howeever you wish, just make sure you stay hydrated.
  • killagb
    Options
    Water is water.

Yes, in fact it would. Obviously sodium does dehydrate your body though, so if you're drinking way over your sodium intake with salt water...you'll be dehydrated. I see what you tried to do though, better luck next time.
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    coffee + water = liquid sanity

but thats just me :drinker:
  • savage22hp
    Options
    [/quote]

Sorry messed this up .
  • savage22hp
    Options
    Water is water.

Yes, in fact it would. Obviously sodium does dehydrate your body though, so if you're drinking way over your sodium intake with salt water...you'll be dehydrated. I see what you tried to do though, better luck next time.

Exactly , sodium added to the water negates the desired effect of the water , sodium being the extreme example . Anyone that has ever binged on alcohol can attest to the dehydration they endure the next day which adds quite a bit of the symptoms of a hangover . Pure water is the best with zero drawbacks .

( ... and it was George Washington that couldn't tell a lie about liking big butts , not Abraham Lincoln )
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If I drink 64 ounces of water a day , I lose more weight than if I only drink other fluids containing water and count the calories . Maybe someone should study me and publish the results so this information would be relevant .

How would that be relevant to anyone but you? And have you really tried every other type of fluid??
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Exactly , sodium added to the water negates the desired effect of the water , sodium being the extreme example .

Does that mean that if I eat a salty food shortly before or after drinking water, I can't count the water?
  • savage22hp
    Options

How would that be relevant to anyone but you? And have you really tried every other type of fluid??

See , I anticipated your reaction there , thus the request for a study , otherwise my offerings are purely anecdotal and useless to anyone except a true research professional . I am in the process now as a layman in testing all fluids having worked myself up to battery acid but as you can probably understand the side effects are working havoc on my cognitive ability .
  • savage22hp
    Options
    Exactly , sodium added to the water negates the desired effect of the water , sodium being the extreme example .

Does that mean that if I eat a salty food shortly before or after drinking water, I can't count the water?

No , that means the water you are drinking is to flush from your system things you have ingested in excess as well as the byproducts of your body burning calories in its normal operation .
  • savage22hp
    Options

No , that means the water you are drinking is to flush from your system things you have ingested in excess as well as the byproducts of your body burning calories in its normal operation .

This is even more necessary when you body is in stress , burning stored fuel ( fat and / or muscle ) , or when you are damaging muscle tissue with intensive workouts trying to bulk up .
  • bcattoes
    Options

Why is the salt different if it's on a chip or in the water?
  • nashtyone
    Options
    Water is water.

Exactly , sodium added to the water negates the desired effect of the water , sodium being the extreme example . Anyone that has ever binged on alcohol can attest to the dehydration they endure the next day which adds quite a bit of the symptoms of a hangover . Pure water is the best with zero drawbacks .

( ... and it was George Washington that couldn't tell a lie about liking big butts , not Abraham Lincoln )

Its **** like this sextuple quote with a 3 paragraph answer that makes MFP great........................
  • Edphil2
    Edphil2 Posts: 21
    Options
    WATER FIGHT !!!!!
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Darn you Bumper!!!! Couldn't just let it die could you? :-)