Does coffee count for water?

Options

Replies

• Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Okay, since everyone on the site except me apparently has put in their two cents, I just have to post now too. And I did indeed read ALL 9 PAGES of posts. Wow. You would think we were debating religion... my thoughts on both are the same.

Drink whatever works for you.

I will drink what works for me, and I trust Snopes and the Mayo clinic because I detest plain water. Coffee, green tea, green, black or herbal iced tea, diet coke, water with Mio... I drink a lot and I pee a lot. And count any extra calories.

Whatever gets you to drink more fluids is the point. And it ALL counts. And I promise you can count and believe whatever you like and I won't try to force it on you. It's only my opinion. If you only want to count pure water, by all means - that is perfectly okay with me.

End of discussion... (but I bet not!!!)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    how can anyone "detest" plain water. good clean water has no taste. you need to check your water supply.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Okay, since everyone on the site except me apparently has put in their two cents, I just have to post now too. And I did indeed read ALL 9 PAGES of posts. Wow. You would think we were debating religion... my thoughts on both are the same.

Drink whatever works for you.

I will drink what works for me, and I trust Snopes and the Mayo clinic because I detest plain water. Coffee, green tea, green, black or herbal iced tea, diet coke, water with Mio... I drink a lot and I pee a lot. And count any extra calories.

Whatever gets you to drink more fluids is the point. And it ALL counts. And I promise you can count and believe whatever you like and I won't try to force it on you. It's only my opinion. If you only want to count pure water, by all means - that is perfectly okay with me.

End of discussion... (but I bet not!!!)
    Exactly correct. Drinking pure water isn't a necessity at all. I do drink it myself, because I like it...but it is not something someone should 'force' themselves to do.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    how can anyone "detest" plain water. good clean water has no taste. you need to check your water supply.
    Some people enjoy a flavor in their drinks....I drink plenty of regular filtered water myself, but there are times when I'd prefer something with some flavor to it, why does this seem to perturb you?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Some people enjoy a flavor in their drinks....I drink plenty of regular filtered water myself, but there are times when I'd prefer something with some flavor to it, why does this seem to perturb you?

adding a flavor is fine. do it myself. but that wasnt my question.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    So, if I drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning does that mean I can mark 1 cup of water down for the day? Just curious.

Hell yeah it coumts!!! I mean its made with water. Whats the difference with coffee than with sweetner you put in water.?? Its your own preference really. I count it but still drink a gallon. I count it in my protein shakes too..
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Why is the salt different if it's on a chip or in the water?

( See , I didn't quote everything , cognitive abilities not quite beyond reach )

The salt is the same regardless of where it is found , that is not the question , the recommendation to drink water is to help rid the body of things it has in excess or byproducts of the natural life cycle . 64 ounces of water has been established as a good guideline for the amount the body needs to rid itself of these things. If you add ingredients to the water , you negate some of the positive results you are trying to achieve by ingesting the water in the first place . How much you negate the waters positive influence depends upon the additive , therefore water without additives would be best to fulfill the 64 oz recommendation . I mentioned as illustration in a previous post the extremes of salt water (don't drink ocean water if you are lost at sea ) and alcohol , both of which dehydrate you.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here ever heard of chemistry? Just sayin'
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I died once from drinking water.

[/true story]
  • mrscruikshank
    mrscruikshank Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My rule is: If you can't see through it in a clear glass, you can't count it as water.
    While it will hydrate you, plain water will help the most.

I can see through a giant glass of vodka perfectly! I just wanted to point that out. :-)

This makes me giggle terribly. :D Just what I needed after a rough day!!! LOL
  • plt55
    plt55 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Anything that starts as water I count as water ,One comment is dont worried about it just drink 8 glasses of water .Thats great if you like water I hate it Im 56 and probally till I started this a few months ago drank maybe 20 ounces of water a week for my whole life. Im a tea drinker .Iced hot doesnt matter and yes I use splenda .I like crystal light ,and generic grape packets,my doctor says I started with a bottle of wate rit still is a bottle of water ,it didnt instantly turn in to diet soda ,which by the way helped when I laid off that .We all have differant views ,.This is just mine .I know I need to get some liguids in because the loss is better when I do. But I do count it all .
  • goingmodern
    goingmodern Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter? Just drink your water, and enjoy your coffee, too.

Amen!
  • savage22hp
    Options

This thread is not one about relationships , sorry for the misunderstanding .
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Yes, but it doesn't go as well as the Ford Cortina.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Why does it matter? Just drink your water, and enjoy your coffee, too.

Amen!

no religion please
  • goingmodern
    goingmodern Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My rule is: If you can't see through it in a clear glass, you can't count it as water.
    While it will hydrate you, plain water will help the most.

I can see through a giant glass of vodka perfectly! I just wanted to point that out. :-)

LOL! And do you count that giant glass of vodka as part of your daily water intake? LOL
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have always been curious about this as well. So basically everyone seems to be 50/50. Only one person has come back with actual articles regarding this. Guess I will go with their opinion or maybe I will just continue to be curious about this topic. LOL

It's not opinion.

Coffee is not water.

Flour is not bread.

Chicken is not beef.

...it's not rocket science.

These are not accurate analogies.

If you are counting how many servings of water you consume, you would count coffee, because coffee contains water.

If you were counting how many servings of flour you consumed, then you would count bread, because bread has flour in it.

If you were counting how many servings of meat you consume, you could count chicken, because it is meat.

It really isn't rocket science! :flowerforyou:

Oh dear, you're grossly overthinking my comment.

These things are similar, but not equal. Very basic concept. No complex analogy of what contains what.

So no, it really isn't rocket science.

Just curious: soda contains water. Do you count it as water?
    Dear is only overthinking your comment in the sense that you underthunk it.

_GlaDOS_ is actually on the right track.

This whole coffee is not water - taken literally - is a silly debate (even worse than muscle v. fat). Coffee is fluid that contains water that hydrates the body. Yes, we get it. Coffee is not water. Just like elephants are not dessert.

Soda, coffee (java!) contain water. Nutritionally speaking, they count as FLUID intake. The problem is that MFP labels it water, and some interpret that as fluid/hydration, while others interpret that as clean neat water.

Continuing to debate whether coffee = water is about as productive as arguing over grammar mistakes. The hydration issue is interesting, at least. There are actual studies and evidence whether coffee (and other drinks) can hydrate your body, and where the 8 cups a day idea came from. Smart MFPeeps have provided plenty of resources.
  • savage22hp
    Options
    Tomato - 94% water
    Apple - 91% water
    Orange - 79% water
    Water melon - 92% water
    The water content of most fruits and vegetables - 70 - 95 % of their weight
    All can hydrate you , would be very beneficial to the body for nutrients and hydration if no other source of water could be found .

My apologies to the O.P , this indeed has gone on way to long .Drink any source of fluid that you have available to hydrate you , it will all be beneficial to you to varying degrees depending on what else is in the water . Guidelines are to point you to the right direction with you the user determining what will best work for you . Good Luck ! .... ( now back to my studies of all fluids to see if I can truly recommend water as the best source of hydration , still hoping for a researcher to contact me )
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    If you're curious about how many cups of water we should drink, and whether that means how hydrated we should be vs how many cups of actual water we should drink, look at other mammals and what they do.

Eg, a dolphin. How many cups of water does a dolphin drink? None. In fact, salt water dolphins don't drink water at all. They get all their hydration from the food they eat.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you're curious about how many cups of water we should drink, and whether that means how hydrated we should be vs how many cups of actual water we should drink, look at other mammals and what they do.

Eg, a dolphin. How many cups of water does a dolphin drink? None. In fact, salt water dolphins don't drink water at all. They get all their hydration from the food they eat.

Exactly!