Bacon replacement

Options
124»

Replies

• julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Trying to replace Bacon is like trying to replace a soul. It's just wrong.

Amen!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I use Lite Life bacon, (vegetarian)- 20 calories a slice. No, its not real bacon but it will not kill me either (for some reason I do not digest bacon and it feels like glass moving through me.)

I also use temphe bacon to make BLT's but the lite life tastes better.

I spray some olive oil spray on it and toast it right up in the frying pan.

As a matter of fact, I am going to wrap some shrimp in it tonight and grill it too.
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Proscuitto?
  • JollyJane13
    JollyJane13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There is NO replacement for BACON.

Bacon is one of the only reasons I am not a vegetarian lol. But I find turkey bacon the best alternative :)
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with the turkey bacon as well .... my wife and I eat it and it cooks up quite crispy and just as tasty (to us, at least) as "regular" bacon.

However, there's also a brand of bacon that we sometimes pick up from Walmart named Gwaltney .... it's center cut pork bacon, but it's 40% less fat than regular bacon. Only 5 grams total fat for 3 slices.
  • ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd go with Morningstar brand veggie bacon. My husband, a huge carnivore, actually eats it as a healthier alternative. I'm a vegetarian, so it's the only bacon I've had in 8 years...I'm definitely not going to be the best judge to tell you if it tastes just like bacon, but it does taste yummy!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Just use center cut bacon (stats are pretty much the same as any turkey bacon out there).

Personally, I like Chicken Sausage and have started to use it instead of pork sausage. It's not 100% the same, but I enjoy the taste of it just as much (personally).
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    The only good replacement for bacon would be if there was some alternative animal more disgusting than a hog which there is not.

Don't do it.
    The end product won't taste as good, but for yourself, try turkey bacon - YUK!
    We must do what we must do for our diets, but just don't subject your guests to yucky healthy food.
  • Mindyana
    Options
    In the UK i'd say some bacon medallions.... such as Sainsburys Be Good To Yourself Bacon Medallions only 18 calories per slice. For sausages I'd swap for Venison sausages, they're tasty and a much leaner meat, once again Sainsburys (I promise i don't work there!!!) Taste The Difference Venison and Red Wine sausages are 88 cals per sausage!!
  • d5d14m66
    d5d14m66 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I eat real bacon, but not as often as I'd like to. I do like the Morningstar Farms "fake bacon" and even my former coworkers commented on how good it smelled when I'd nuke a couple of pieces to go with my bagel. One man said his wife ate it all the time because it fit their kosher diet.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This is madness!!!! Trying to replace bacon is blasphemy!!!! :bigsmile:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I do my family a mixed grill every week, with bacon, sausage, egg and beans, it's just that bacon is really high in fat, as are the sausages, any ideas for a healthier option that I can eat with the family?
    :noway:
    Maybe stop making that high fat and high calorie meal all together and find something else less processed.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I do my family a mixed grill every week, with bacon, sausage, egg and beans, it's just that bacon is really high in fat, as are the sausages, any ideas for a healthier option that I can eat with the family?
    :noway:
    Maybe stop making that high fat and high calorie meal all together and find something else less processed.

**waiting for someone to suggest a highly processed food to replace a unprocessed slab of dead pig**
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    the difference in sat fat from bacon and turkey is not big (i assume) but the sodium on turkey bacon is probably much higher than regular bacon so nono just have regular bacon in smaller quantities, plus its tastier
  • karin_s
    karin_s Posts: 11
    Options
    Canadian bacon
  • karin_s
    karin_s Posts: 11
    Options
    Look at the label on turkey bacon. It is not really that differnt from regular bacon. Read those labels!