Won't eat THAT again...

Options

Replies

• hkussatz
    Options
    I stick to the unprocessed foods and fresh fruits/veggies. I like to KNOW what I'm eating!
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My hubby knows a truck driver who works for a company that picks up the "leftovers" from the supermarket butcher departments. The driver told my husband that he also picks up the euthanized animals from the animal shelters too. He said the majority of the animal products they collect is bought and used by a major cosmetics company. I actually cried when my husband told me this.

Of course, it could be worse. I could live in Oklahoma . . .

and what is wrong with living in OKLAHOMA????????
  • christinal83
    christinal83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Did you think the chickens were alive?

Confused here
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    in the middle of the night once, my wife left a bag of bacon strips on the counter. It was dark, i was half asleep so i had one. It was a friggin dog treat!!! blech!!!!!

It probably has healthier stuff than our "human" snacks. definately less sodium! Thats ok - i was taking my meds one night and put the dog pill on the counter next to mine - then took it! That was an embarassaing call to the poison control center :embarassed:
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    So a friend of mine on FB just posted about how her dad is an egg farmer and that he always has a pile of dead chickens in the corner of the barn (such is farm life). Campbell’s soup comes and buys all the dead chickens...not sure what happens next but that is all I needed to hear?! The more I read and learn the more I am convinced about an organic lifestyle! There goes canned soup! Have you ever heard anything like this that made you change your eating habits?

There are much worse things. Watch the documentary Food Inc. or don't....some people would never eat again. LOL. I can't worry about stuff like that I would drive myself insane. Now if it made me sick eating it, that's a different story.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I just had a bowl of Campbells soup for lunch, and now I want to puke.

Yeh, I'll be making my own soup from now on.

It's scary how much we don't know about where our food comes from...

So when you make your own soup, will you be using chicken that you have raised yourself?
  • frygirl01
    frygirl01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My hubby knows a truck driver who works for a company that picks up the "leftovers" from the supermarket butcher departments. The driver told my husband that he also picks up the euthanized animals from the animal shelters too. He said the majority of the animal products they collect is bought and used by a major cosmetics company. I actually cried when my husband told me this.

Of course, it could be worse. I could live in Oklahoma . . .

and what is wrong with living in OKLAHOMA????????

Sorry - didn't mean to offend. I just read an article yesterday about an Oklahoma state senator who proposed a law which would ban the use of aborted human fetuses in anything produced for human consumption. The article didn't mention any products that actually contain fetuses though, which is quite a relief. Just seems worrysome that a state representative would be worried about making it a law.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Seeing "Food Inc." helped tip me toward organic. Doing more research on "organic" made me decide i wont eat animal products if i don't know where they came from and how they were treated. Just because they are "organic" doesn't mean they lived a good life and weren't in messed up living situations
  • Shannonnn92
    Shannonnn92 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This makes me SO relieved that I am a vegetarian!
  • gadog430
    Options
    If you REALLY start to pay attention to what is in processed foods you will cry daily. I am working and learning to get away from anything that comes to me processed. It is just really poison.
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It taste good right?... end of story. go chinese food!
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I am not sure that organic is really the way to go. You really want farm raised. Have you seen Food Matters? They talk about organic a little bit. Organic is a little better but not by much.

True but then again there is grocery store organic and farmers market orgainic and you CAN taste the difference between them. I think If you want true organic you have to grow your own - you know what in there. As for meat - go to a farmer and buy your stuff there.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Seeing "Food Inc." helped tip me toward organic. Doing more research on "organic" made me decide i wont eat animal products if i don't know where they came from and how they were treated. Just because they are "organic" doesn't mean they lived a good life and weren't in messed up living situations

Exactly. This is why I'm trying to move toward sustainable farming.

bynsky: that was awesome
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are buying a free range cow, pig, and chickens this year to put in our new chest freezer. We're both hunters and we know where the deer/rabbit/duck/goose/turkey comes from, and the way we kill it is far more humane than the meat you get at your local grocery store. One thing I REFUSE to eat is foie gras, they force feed those poor ducks and half of them die before they can even take them to a butcher. Another great thing, we get to pick our own cow, pig, and chickens. We also get to see the process so we know the animal didn't suffer.
  • CHEFCH♥ZZ
    Options
    IM NOT BUYING THAT A BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY IS BUYING A PILE OF DEAD CHICKENS FROM SOME DANK BARN TO USE IN THEIR PRODUCTS. WTF??
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    I don't know your friend or what you do in Oklahoma, but here in SC we are actually about 30 miles from the Campbell's plant. I've seen so many trucks of LIVE chickens going there since I was a small child. It is big business here in our town to have chicken houses and sell to that plant. I know a few chicken farmers personally. I not calling your friend a liar, but I find that hard to believe. IMO
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This makes me SO relieved that I am a vegetarian!

^^^^^^ This. I make myself a huge pot of vegetarian soup every week on Sundays. Don't miss the meat at all.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    This is why campbells soup is so cheap... They don't have to pay a chicken killer.. If it wasn't safe to eat they wouldn't sell it ;) I prefer homemade myself
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Would you rather people didn't eat them and they rotted and the animals were able to give nothing back to us?

This is how I feel about hot dogs... sure they're made of whatever and it might not be your cup of tea, but those otherwise unusable parts are allowing the animal to give back to someone.

I like to envision the entire natural world like the Giving Tree and we're the only ones who doesn't understand how to properly give.