Won't eat THAT again...

Options

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    Gross! That reminds me of the show Food Inc. and what they showed about Tyson chicken. The chickens were alive but living in awful conditions and grown to be so big breasted that they could not even walk.

its like meet your meat..it made me cry, AND gave me a reason to not eat @ KFC anymore
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    That makes me nauseous, and I haven't eaten meat in 9 years. *shudder*
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt that the dead chickens go directly in to a food product - more likely mixed in with other organic waste to fertilize crops. Many food companies contract out the growing of specific strains of vegetables that optimize their recipes.

FDA and USDA do not allow use of animals that died other than during the slaughter process in human food (I can't speak to animal feed), and if the fact that Campbell's buys dead chickens is so widely known by farmers as to be posted on FB, it would not escape regulators etc. It would have made the national news and the practice changed.

This could indeed be the case... she didn't know or say what happens after the pick up~

I suspect you're correct that the dead chickens are going to something other than food (maybe pet food or tallow). However, it's also well known that the FDA does not have enough inspectors, so who really knows what is going on.
  • JenStyle30
    Options
    Cambells soup is pretty good though! lol
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    Have you ever watched any food documentaries on netflix? You be surprised how some of these animals are raised. They fatten these animals up with corn slosh, they live in cramped /dark/ overcrowded facilities. A lot of them die or have broken limbs, etc. It's so awful.

Now as frightening as all that is, I still have not switched over to organic meat...but I don't eat as much meat as I did before and am trying not to eat fast food as often.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options

those chickens could have died of anything, so there is very little chance that campbell's puts them in any food designed for human consumption. they would eventually be caught, and this would be the end of the entire brand, overnight.

i've actually worked in food safety product development, and i tend to take every food horror meme on facebook with about a pound of salt.

Agreed. They may buy them for whatever reason - testing, etc. But I don't think they would even be allowed to use them for human consumption.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Anything resembling a chicken nugget. After watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, I will never touch another for the rest of my life. Luckily, I had just given up meat entirely shortly before seeing that episode.

I seen that!!
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    When shrimp fishermen go shrimping over 90% of what they catch (bottom-dwellers, clams, muscles, seastars, etc.) is bycatch. Meaning it's thrown overboard and dies. Eating 10% shrimp is not worth 90% death.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this on FB recently??

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/400527_10150599900219813_744434812_10988797_307297832_n.jpg

Can You Guess What McDonald’s Food Item This Is? Say hello to mechanically separated chicken. It’s what all fast-food chicken is made – things like chicken nuggets and patties. In addition, the processed frozen chicken in the stores is made from it. Basically, the entire chicken is smashed and pressed through a sieve — bones, eyes, guts, and all. It comes out looking like this. There’s more: because it’s crawling with bacteria, it will be washed with ammonia, soaked in it, actually. Then, because it tastes gross, it will be reflavored artificially. Finally, since it is weirdly pink, it will be dyed with artificial color.
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    Just my opinion. I have not been a big meat eater for years. But a few years ago almost entirely quit eating beef and now I don't eat it at all. Once in a while I will have a little turkey, not much.

My reason for my feelings about beef is that a farmer put in a feedlot next to my house. If you ever want to be "cured" of wanting to eat beef, go check out a feedlot. Or go out into the country and check out how some people keep their animals. It might concern you a bit. Or it might not.

Keep in mind too, the cows die in fear, but have no choice but to step forward to get the hammer, each one in her turn. It ain't purdy! I want nothing to do with it, so refuse to eat the products of that industry now.

With turkeys I doubt it is a lot better. But I haven't been that up close to turkeys. I can't justify eating meat at all. But I am not very adept at getting protein on my anti inflammatory diet, so a couple of times a month I do eat a bit of turkey.
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    So a friend of mine on FB just posted about how her dad is an egg farmer and that he always has a pile of dead chickens in the corner of the barn (such is farm life). Campbell’s soup comes and buys all the dead chickens...not sure what happens next but that is all I needed to hear?! The more I read and learn the more I am convinced about an organic lifestyle! There goes canned soup! Have you ever heard anything like this that made you change your eating habits?

those chickens could have died of anything, so there is very little chance that campbell's puts them in any food designed for human consumption. they would eventually be caught, and this would be the end of the entire brand, overnight.

i've actually worked in food safety product development, and i tend to take every food horror meme on facebook with about a pound of salt.

Not to mention, it doesn't make much sense from a business stand point to drive around to a bunch of little farms to pick up dead chickens. You have to figure that, even if the chickens have been sitting there a while, there probably will still only be a few chickens to pick up, unless the farmer is horrible at his job and is killing chickens left and right. The driver would have to stop by a bunch of these small farms in order to get enough chickens for even 10 cans of soup, a number that is easily eaten between two households in a short matter of time. Considering how expensive gas is, these trips don't make much sense.

It makes a lot more sense for the company to raise their own chicken and slaughter them. I'm not going to say that the conditions those chickens live in are great--I doubt they are--but it makes more economical sense this way.
  • mama1229
    Options
    Gross! That reminds me of the show Food Inc. and what they showed about Tyson chicken. The chickens were alive but living in awful conditions and grown to be so big breasted that they could not even walk.
    Tyson takes about 20-30,000 baby chickens, puts them in a chicken house that is about 1/4 mile long and 6-7 weeks later the birds are ready for your dinner table. Tell me those birds are not full of hormones. :sick: From baby, to a 5-7lb bird in 6 weeks is crazy talk.:noway: I have never watched the movie FOOD Inc but I know how Tyson works on a personal level. It amazes me how quick the birds grow. I don't know about the whole Campbell's Soup debacle but I do know that the "dead truck" would come around and pick up Tyson's dead chickens for the dog food manufacturers.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    This doesn't sound kosher...on so many levels...

Seriously, if you want meat that's been slaughtered properly, look for the kosher or halal symbols on the package.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    Watch Food Inc. -- excellent documentary it's on Netflix, it will change the way you eat forever, or at least make you think twice about the food choices you make.
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    Sorry, I accidentally posted the same thing twice. See no way to delete the post.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I would honestly rather eat soup made from chickens that were raised on a farm and dead already than ones that lived their lives just to die. Just me though.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I don't eat that junk anymore...
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

LOL-I had a friend that had a bumper sticker with that on it. ;)
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Meat is delicious and I will never stop eating it. Bring it on!

Two things I will never have are McDonald's sweet tea and any frappachino beverage. I used to work there and had to make them... the tea is 5 lbs of sugar, 5 gallons of water, and a tea bag. The frappachino mix is just half and half, chocolate syrup, and coffee syrup blended with ice. Holy sugar batman!
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada, so that MIGHT make a difference,

but I find that very hard to believe....

we lived on a dairy farm and raised cattle and with the laws the way they are now you have to pay to have deadstock remove any dead animals... Any animal that dies on it's own away from a proper kill facility is unfit even for animal food.

Additionally laying hens medicated and innoculated and that would prohibit them from being used for human consumption for sixty days even at the end of their productivity....

I'm thinking urban myth